As an atheist now, what is your lifestyle at present?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-05-2012, 07:54 PM
RE: As an atheist now, what is your lifestyle at present?
(22-05-2012 04:39 PM)Pachomius Wrote:  I invite you to consider what in science leads you to come to the conclusion that there is no God.

Thank you for asking, Pachy.

Science, history and literature exclude a god for many reasons.

In no particular order ...

History and literature exclude a god because, when you study the development process of the "idea" of god, it constantly changes, throughout all of human history, and throughout the history of human ideas. In fact the concept is STILL changing. For example, 100 years ago, no one would have said "god is love". St. Paul said that the greatest VIRTUE is "love". He would never have agreed that "god IS love".

Today we have projected a human emotion, (love) and made it into a god, and say that "god is love", because "love" is currently one of our culture's favorite ideas, and, for example, has changed a lot since the American Hollywood film industry started to put it's stamp on that idea, and continues to change it. Nowhere in human history has that happened before, (that "love" is thought about that way), In fact we know when and where that started. It was in the Early Medieval period, after the fall of the Roman Empire, when the idea of "Courty Love" arose, along with the (Holy) Grail myths, and the (King) Arthur legends. During and after that time, along with "Jesus on the cross" the statues of Mother Mary and her baby, and the "knights rescuing the fair maiden" became popular, and the "idea" of human love began it's long journey to becoming a "god". The fact that throughout the history of human ideas, the idea has changed so radically, should make you stop, and wonder: "why would MY idea be the correct one, or the final one ?". Throughout history, EVERYONE has assumed their version of their god is THE correct one. They were all seen to be wrong, or lacking, later on, as it changed again. They are ALL dependant on the current state of human culture, and CHANGE, depending which culture we are talking about. So I have to assume you, being a Christian, are talking about the "Christian" god.

The Christian god has radically changed. Jesus called his god the "father", (and NEVER called himself THE son). Hundreds of years later, humans fought over whether Jesus was "a" son, and the idea of the Trinity was born.

The "texts", (the Bible), which you assume tell you about your "god", in fact tell you only about the particular Yahweh Sabaoth god, (the "Lord of Hosts", or "God of the Armies"), and we know: how, where, and why ... that human idea arose, and in what context. The Ancient Semites believed in many gods, and they chose this one, (Yahweh), because they wanted help with winning their battles. Most of the other stories in the Bible, were taken from other Ancient Near Eastern myths, (the flood myth, the creation myth), and we know where they got them, and how they changed them for their own use at the time, and then changed them again later a few more times, to fit their other later needs.

Science excludes a god for many reasons also. The idea of "god" was invented to explain the world, and the scary things which humans saw around themselves, but had no other explantion for, at the time, and thus were afraid of the fact that they had no control over a scary natural world. We now have explanations for most things we observe, and no longer need the god explanation. For example, humans used to pray for rain, or that the rivers wouldn't flood. We now know why it rains, and that praying to a god, has no affect on whether it rains or not. There are also things about the way all gods are defined, and in particular the "christian" god is defined, which make it impossible. For example your christian god is said to be "eternal", and "immutable". Then they say that god needed Jesus to "come down", and god had to become "satisfied" by the death of his son, for the sins of humans. That change, (becoming "satisfied", when he wasn't satisfied BEFORE), means god IS MUTABLE, (changeable). He changed. (I guess that's more of a philosophical reason, but it leads to my scientific one, which might be a little complicated for you). The fact that your god changes, and is said to possess "consciousness", and "loves", and "gets angry" etc etc etc, ALL mean that god changes.

In order to change, god has to exist in the dimension which science calls "time". When you study Physics, you will learn that a famous scientist named Einstein, about 100 years ago, proposed a theory called Relativiity, which postulated that space and time are combined, or "unifed". So today we call it spacetime. In order to CHANGE from a theoretical state 1, (non-appeased, or not-angry, or "beginning creation") to state 2, (recognizing redemption, AFTER Jesus died, or being-angry AFTER not being angry, or "completing creation") means the dimensions of spacetime are necessary for that god's existence. If they are necessary for it's existence, he can't have been their creator, because they would have had to "be there all along". That's just one one many reasons science rules out god. But the question is, since you don't need one to explain anything, why cook one up ? There is no evidence for any god. So tell us, please, why would you think there is one ? (Of course the Bible tells you is there is one). Saying "the Bible tells me so", is what educated people call "circular reasoning", and is not a good reason.

Your "idea" of god, is something that exists ONLY in your brain, and is there ONLY because you brain cells are "working", and getting enough oxygen, and glucose, (sugar), and other nutrients. If you stop breathing, and stop eating, your brain cells will stop working the way they should, and your "idea" of god, will change, and most likely stop.

If you want people to help you here with your questions, Pachy, you might want to consider being a bit more open.

No one here is mean, or going to get angry with you, or tell you are dumb. You are safe here. You are very courageous to come here, and be persistent, even though we seem to be impatient with you, at times. Wink

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Bucky Ball's post
23-05-2012, 06:00 PM
(22-05-2012 05:21 PM)Dom Wrote:  I want to know because the patterns in your language are not any I recognize. It's not german, french or italian like Bucky suggested. That wouldn't cause that type of sentence structure or such word clusters.

Your english doesn't bug me, why should it. It arouses my curiosity though. Why do you think I am "bugged" by something?

As far as your project goes, why don't you just post that you want to conduct some queries for the purpose of a school paper or whatever you are trying to accomplish here? Why the secrecy?

I never said that I came to the conclusion that there is no god. I have no idea whether there is a god or not. But, should there be a god, and should he be the one from the old Testament, I don't like him at all and the last thing I would do is worship him.

How did you come to conclusion that there is a god, and why did you pick the one from the old testament?

There is no secrecy in my presence here.

As regards your curiosity to satisfy your desire to know what is my native language in order to confirm your suspicion about my original native language, German, etc., please start a new thread to that end of how to recognize the original native language of a poster who writes in English which to you is not the English of peoples speaking English as their native language, and I will join you there.

Now, in this thread I want to know how atheists or what kind of lifestyle atheists live in; you atheists say that there is no atheists' lifestyle.

Okay, then into the psychology of atheists, you also don't care to go into that.

So, what about how from your inquiry in science, history, and literature you reached the conclusion that there is no God.

You say that that is not your tack.

Well, then I will just concentrate on Bucky Ball, because he does have a specific relevant topic to take up with me.

Pachomius
23-05-2012, 06:15 PM
(22-05-2012 04:39 PM)Pachomius Wrote:  
(21-05-2012 06:01 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Thank you for your kind invitation for a dialogue.
Interesting sir, that you chose Pachomius as a name for yourself here. Also rather ironic, in that I, for a couple years, before I came to my senses, thought that I too would become a monk. Not a hermit, (as Pachomius was), but planned to become a member of one of the strict Benedictine off-shoots, founded by St. Robert of Molesme, and St. Stephen Harding, and later reformed by Abbott de Rance. (Are you French, German, Italian ? ... your English is excellent). I have some friends in that order, and will be visiting them for a weekend this June. I have great respect for their simple life-style, and farming efforts, even though we agree on absolutely nothing, (except that they make good cheese, and serve great wine). I will get up at 3AM and attend their Vigils, and maybe sit through Mass, (maybe not), and read again "A Universe from Nothing", (Krauss), (and assuming I survive the drone strike Tongue ), will have an interesting weekend at the monastery.

I suspect the reason you are here, is because you also are beginning your long process of deprogramming, and wanted to see for yourself what some atheists are really all about. Well, I guess it's your lucky day. I know more about your Christian faith, and most of it's branches than you do. So yes, for a while, from birth, I was a Christian. I even had what your people would call experiences, of "pure contemplation". When I came to realize they were chemically mediated experiences, and could be reproduced by athletic activity, (running, and weight lifting, and surfing), I saw I was deluded, which led me to a long period of study .

Your statement that "it takes one to know one", (ie that unless one IS a Christian, one could not know about the concept of a Christian god), is false. Many atheists understand very well what that concept is, and indeed spend their lives examining it, and know more about it, and are more conversant with it's details, than almost all believers.

Of course your request "tell me how you inquiry in science, history and literature leads to your conclusion that there is absent an entity corresponding to the concept of god" would be impossible to even begin to fulfill. You must take your own journey, and do your own homework. I, (we), can give you some hints on directions to look, but the road is long, and there are no easy answers. So lets start with your word "entity". An "entity", by it's definition is self limiting. That means it is "something, and not "something" "else". That contradicts your definition of "infinite" (god). So a god, (if there was one), by definition, is not an "entity". It's also the same reason, it could not be a "person", (as a "personality" is self-limiting).

I need to know where your science education stands, so I can know at what level I can speak to you, and in what terms. Do you know Biology, Chemistry, Math, and Physics ? Do you know about Quantum Mechanics, and Genetics ?

As for History, what History have you studied ? Do you know about Ancient History, do you know about the Sumerian Cultures of the Ancient near East. How much do you know about the period from about 100 BCE, to 400 CE ? Do you know about Archaeology, and Anthropology ? How much actual Church History have you looked at ?

What literature have you read ? How many languages do you speak ? Do you know Greek and Hebrew ? (I suspect you may know Latin? ) Do you know about Mythology, (and how that was used by Ancient cultures), and how it's used today ?

OMG, what have I done. "Ego puto non ante institutionem Pachomii nuces, experiri possum".

Have you ready the mystics, Pachomius ? John of the Cross, Theresa of Avila ? Duns Scotus ? Have you read the Desert Fathers ? The Church Fathers ? Augustine ? Aquinas ? Have you read the Prostestant Theologians , Paul Tillich, Dietrich Bonhoffer ? Have you read Thomas Merton ? The Jewish Philosopher Martin Buber ?
Tell us, what have you read, Pachomius. Have you read the Badivadgita ? Wink

I invite you to consider what in science leads you to come to the conclusion that there is no God.

Pachomius
(22-05-2012 07:54 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(22-05-2012 04:39 PM)Pachomius Wrote:  I invite you to consider what in science leads you to come to the conclusion that there is no God.

Thank you for asking, Pachy.

History and literature exclude a god because, when you study the development process of the "idea" of god, it constantly changes, throughout all of human history, and throughout the history of human ideas. In fact the concept is STILL changing. For example, 100 years ago, no one would have said "god is love". St. Paul said that the greatest VIRTUE is "love". He would never have agreed that "god IS love".

Today we have projected a human emotion, (love) and made it into a god, and say that "god is love", because "love" is currently one of our culture's favorite ideas, and, for example, has changed a lot since the American Hollywood film industry started to put it's stamp on that idea, and continues to change it. Nowhere in human history has that happened before, (that "love" is thought about that way), In fact we know when and where that started. It was in the Early Medieval period, after the fall of the Roman Empire, when the idea of "Courty Love" arose, along with the (Holy) Grail myths, and the (King) Arthur legends. During and after that time, along with "Jesus on the cross" the statues of Mother Mary and her baby, and the "knights rescuing the fair maiden" became popular, and the "idea" of human love began it's long journey to becoming a "god". The fact that throughout the history of human ideas, the idea has changed so radically, should make you stop, and wonder: "why would MY idea be the correct one, or the final one ?". Throughout history, EVERYONE has assumed their version of their god is THE correct one. They were all seen to be wrong, or lacking, later on, as it changed again. They are ALL dependant on the current state of human culture, and CHANGE, depending which culture we are talking about. So I have to assume you, being a Christian, are talking about the "Christian" god.

The Christian god has radically changed. Jesus called his god the "father", (and NEVER called himself THE son). Hundreds of years later, humans fought over whether Jesus was "a" son, and the idea of the Trinity was born.

The "texts", (the Bible), which you assume tell you about your "god", in fact tell you only about the particular Yahweh Sabaoth god, (the "Lord of Hosts", or "God of the Armies"), and we know: how, where, and why ... that human idea arose, and in what context. The Ancient Semites believed in many gods, and they chose this one, (Yahweh), because they wanted help with winning their battles. Most of the other stories in the Bible, were taken from other Ancient Near Eastern myths, (the flood myth, the creation myth), and we know where they got them, and how they changed them for their own use at the time, and then changed them again later a few more times, to fit their other later needs.

Science excludes a god for many reasons also. The idea of "god" was invented to explain the world, and the scary things which humans saw around themselves, but had no other explantion for, at the time, and thus were afraid of the fact that they had no control over a scary natural world. We now have explanations for most things we observe, and no longer need the god explanation. For example, humans used to pray for rain, or that the rivers wouldn't flood. We now know why it rains, and that praying to a god, has no affect on whether it rains or not. There are also things about the way all gods are defined, and in particular the "christian" god is defined, which make it impossible. For example your christian god is said to be "eternal", and "immutable". Then they say that god needed Jesus to "come down", and god had to become "satisfied" by the death of his son, for the sins of humans. That change, (becoming "satisfied", when he wasn't satisfied BEFORE), means god IS MUTABLE, (changeable). He changed. (I guess that's more of a philosophical reason, but it leads to my scientific one, which might be a little complicated for you). The fact that your god changes, and is said to possess "consciousness", and "loves", and "gets angry" etc etc etc, ALL mean that god changes.

In order to change, god has to exist in the dimension which science calls "time". When you study Physics, you will learn that a famous scientist named Einstein, about 100 years ago, proposed a theory called Relativiity, which postulated that space and time are combined, or "unifed". So today we call it spacetime. In order to CHANGE from a theoretical state 1, (non-appeased, or not-angry, or "beginning creation") to state 2, (recognizing redemption, AFTER Jesus died, or being-angry AFTER not being angry, or "completing creation") means the dimensions of spacetime are necessary for that god's existence. If they are necessary for it's existence, he can't have been their creator, because they would have had to "be there all along". That's just one one many reasons science rules out god. But the question is, since you don't need one to explain anything, why cook one up ? There is no evidence for any god. So tell us, please, why would you think there is one ? (Of course the Bible tells you is there is one). Saying "the Bible tells me so", is what educated people call "circular reasoning", and is not a good reason.

Your "idea" of god, is something that exists ONLY in your brain, and is there ONLY because you brain cells are "working", and getting enough oxygen, and glucose, (sugar), and other nutrients. If you stop breathing, and stop eating, your brain cells will stop working the way they should, and your "idea" of god, will change, and most likely stop.

If you want people to help you here with your questions, Pachy, you might want to consider being a bit more open.

No one here is mean, or going to get angry with you, or tell you are dumb. You are safe here. You are very courageous to come here, and be persistent, even though we seem to be impatient with you, at times. Wink

Dear Bucky Ball:

I asked you or requested you "...to consider what in science leads you to come to the conclusion that there is no God."

Please give the gist of your exposition in less than a hundred words.

Just keep to science for the present, we will go to history and literature later.

Imagine that you are taking an essay examination, and the question you are to write on in less than a hundred words is: "How my inquiry in science leads me to conclude there is no God."

Pachomius
23-05-2012, 08:50 PM
ROFLMAO, now you are a moderator telling me what I can say and not say in this thread.

I am not starting a thread about linguistics and I find it very curious that you are so scared to divulge what your mother tongue is.

I guess you just don't want to answer any questions at all, I asked a whole other bunch too. So did several other people.

If you want to get information about atheists that is worth a damn, you need a sample and not just one person. Although Bucky is good at describing his thoughts and makes perfect sense, his thoughts are not necessarily shared by the rest of the millions of atheists around the world.

If you want dialogue, engage in dialogue. Ask and answer questions.

If you want to play inquisitor for whatever purpose, you will walk away with one sided information.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 6 users Like Dom's post
23-05-2012, 08:56 PM
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQTesBmgZwA4X3BNs9Ve1G...JO5nwLbGXd]

18 words + 5 more.

Do your own homework assignments.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 6 users Like Bucky Ball's post
24-05-2012, 02:27 PM
(23-05-2012 08:56 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(23-05-2012 06:15 PM)Pachomius Wrote:  

Pachomius
(22-05-2012 07:54 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Thank you for asking, Pachy.

Dear Bucky Ball:

I asked you or requested you "...to consider what in science leads you to come to the conclusion that there is no God."

Please give the gist of your exposition in less than a hundred words.

Just keep to science for the present, we will go to history and literature later.

Imagine that you are taking an essay examination, and the question you are to write on in less than a hundred words is: "How my inquiry in science leads me to conclude there is no God."

Pachomius
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQTesBmgZwA4X3BNs9Ve1G...JO5nwLbGXd]

18 words + 5 more.

Well, Backy Ball, you are balking at telling me how your inquiry in science brings you to the conclusion that there is no God.

But instead of answering my request in an essay of less than 100 words, you resort to a diagram.

Okay, then on the basis of your diagram how does the process lead you to the theory that there is no God.

Pachomius
24-05-2012, 02:40 PM
I am now into the thinking style of atheists.

Please everyone atheist here, tell me how your inquiry in science leads you to conclude that there is no God.

You may describe the process of doing science and make that in less than a hundred words, but please also apply science to come to the conclusion that there is no God.

If you like, you can use the diagram of Backy Ball, for a step by step exposition of how science leads you to the theory there is no God.

You are not interested in telling me what is your lifestyle, except to say that it is no different from Christians who are not sincerely living their Christian faith.

You also are not interested in telling me what is your peculiar psychology of being atheists.

So, let us go into what Backy Ball is stating, namely, that his inquiry in science, history, and literature leads him to conclude there is no God.

This thread is going from lifestyle of living in atheists, to their feeling style, and now to their thinking style which is seemingly scientific.

Pachomius
24-05-2012, 02:59 PM
Simply put, science doesn't need a god to explain our existence. There are gaps in knowledge that are getting smaller by the day. The idea of a god is superfluous. If there is a god, this god does not make itself known in any empirical or testable way. Scientific theories such as the theory of evolution provide logical thinkers a reasonable alternative worldview to the religious narrative.

That's less than 100 words, but way oversimplified.

Are you too lazy to read BuckyBall's post? Is that why you wanted a 100 word limitation or is it because it's harder to poke holes in something that is clearly explained in detail? Or some other reason?
[+] 3 users Like Emma's post
24-05-2012, 03:38 PM (This post was last modified: 24-05-2012 04:25 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(24-05-2012 02:27 PM)Pachomius Wrote:  
(23-05-2012 08:56 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  [Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQTesBmgZwA4X3BNs9Ve1G...JO5nwLbGXd]

18 words + 5 more.

Well, Backy Ball, you are balking at telling me how your inquiry in science brings you to the conclusion that there is no God.

But instead of answering my request in an essay of less than 100 words, you resort to a diagram.

Okay, then on the basis of your diagram how does the process lead you to the theory that there is no God.
Pachomius

Why would I answer a request from you, when you have not answered one from us ?

Look at the diagram. Where would you put god in it ? What does that tell you ?

I HAVE explained how science leads one to to a position of non-theism. You either didn't bother to read it, or can't understand it. It's not my job to do your homework, or to educate you. I attempted to point out to you what science "is", (the diagram). It went over your head. You want it boiled down to childish terms, ("100 words or less"). You may be a child, others may not be.

1. If the answer is important, why would you be looking for an unimportant answer ?
2. Why do you think the universe owes you the answer ?
3. Who told you it was possible in "100 words" ?
4. Will you be "satisfied" with "the" answer ?

[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
24-05-2012, 04:27 PM
(24-05-2012 02:40 PM)Pachomius Wrote:  This thread is going from lifestyle of living in atheists, to their feeling style, and now to their thinking style which is seemingly scientific.

Not all Atheists think scientifically - that would be a generalization.

Think about it Pachomius, not all people who do believe in God, believe for the same reason or even think the same way about God. As well, each Atheist may have their own reason for not having a belief or faith in a God. So, it seems you may be searching for something that has very many answers.

I contend that all human beings are the same; we love, we hurt, we fear, we have delight, we care, we are creative, we are intelligent as much as we are ignorant, and we are all capable of great compassion as well as great contempt for one another. Theists and Non-Theists(Atheists) are the same in every way.

For life to be fulfilling Theists rely on God. Non-Theists(Atheists) rely on everything but God for life to be fulfilling.

It is really just that simple. I did not count, but I think that was less than 100 words.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post