As an atheist now, what is your lifestyle at present?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-05-2012, 04:40 PM (This post was last modified: 24-05-2012 04:45 PM by GirlyMan.)
RE: As an atheist now, what is your lifestyle at present?
(24-05-2012 02:40 PM)Pachomius Wrote:  Please everyone atheist here, tell me how your inquiry in science leads you to conclude that there is no God.

Science tells me not to conclude a damn thing. Rather it posits theories to try to best explain observable phenomena. Nothing is ever settled in science. It never concludes anything. Everything is tenuous and is subject to change at a moment's notice with new evidence (or even a reinterpretation of old evidence, for that matter).

Now tell me how it is that you can conclude anything at all, let alone God?

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
24-05-2012, 04:52 PM
(24-05-2012 04:40 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(24-05-2012 02:40 PM)Pachomius Wrote:  Please everyone atheist here, tell me how your inquiry in science leads you to conclude that there is no God.

Science tells me not to conclude a damn thing. Rather it posits theories to try to best explain observable phenomena. Nothing is ever settled in science. It never concludes anything. Everything is tenuous and is subject to change at a moment's notice with new evidence (or even a reinterpretation of old evidence, for that matter).

Now tell me how it is that you can conclude anything at all, let alone God?

Pesky thesists always playing with words. I start to think that they understand that I haven't "come to the conclusion" and then I miss the wording. The reality is that so far as we know now, there is no reason to conclude that there is a god. That is different than concluding there is no god.
24-05-2012, 05:00 PM (This post was last modified: 24-05-2012 05:07 PM by Vipa.)
(24-05-2012 02:40 PM)Pachomius Wrote:  I am now into the thinking style of atheists.

Sure you are...

We all already told you about our lifestyle(s), you just don't like the answers and act as if they are lies.
We cannot give you insight into our "peculiar" psychology because as far as anyone knows there is nothing peculiar or special about it. This goes together with the fact (which you also ignored) that atheism is not The defining character trait of a human being, but just one of many. At least as long as "not-being-something" is accepted as a character trait...

Note: I answered your science-question in my last post already (hint: it's the same answer most have given you)

PS: I speak german too, feel free to send me a PM if you're interested
[+] 2 users Like Vipa's post
25-05-2012, 12:50 PM
Slightly more lonely, as I typically socialized through the church when I was a believer. The social aspect is the only thing I miss from religion. Other than that, nothing much is different.

Better without God, and happier too.
25-05-2012, 03:52 PM
Correction, there is in (iv) an omission, it is not just Test Hypothesis, but Gather Evidence -Test Hypothesis.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQTesBmgZwA4X3BNs9Ve1G...JO5nwLbGXd]

(i) Observation -> (ii) Define Problem -> (iii) Propose hypothesis -> (iv) Gather Evidence -Test Hypothesis -> (v) Reject Hypothesis or Retain Hypothesis -> (vi) Develop Theory

Sorry.

Pachomius
25-05-2012, 04:00 PM (This post was last modified: 25-05-2012 05:49 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(25-05-2012 03:52 PM)Pachomius Wrote:  Correction, there is in (iv) an omission, it is not just Test Hypothesis, but Gather Evidence -Test Hypothesis.

I could have sworn I saw that there. And here it's the Theist claiming he sees something that really IS there.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
25-05-2012, 04:11 PM
Sorry, guys, I thought I had transmitted a message here prior to the one on omission to be corrected, but I can't find it published; so I am writing it again.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQTesBmgZwA4X3BNs9Ve1G...JO5nwLbGXd]

Let us all go to the diagram of Backy Ball and see how the process of science as per his diagram leads atheists to the conclusion that there is no God.

(i) Observation -> (ii) Define Problem -> (iii) Propose hypothesis -> (iv) Test Hypothesis -> (v) Reject Hypothesis or Retain Hypothesis -> (v) Develop Theory

Now, tell me atheists here who are of the position that inquiry in science leads you to conclude that there is no God, start with (i) Observation.

You are the ones stating that inquiry in science leads you to the conclusion that there is no God, and you tell people what is the process of science and you have a diagram, so tell us what is your observation which observation next presents to you a problem which you will define clearly, etc.

What is your observation, or tell me what have you observed which brings forth a problem for you to define and solve, etc.

You will tell me to do my homework, but you are the ones bringing up science as the discipline that leads you to the conviction that there is no God, and you are the ones with a diagram on how to do science; so be brief but clear, plain, and definite, what observation leads you to what problem you will define to solve, etc.

That is always the trouble with atheists, they talk a lot but when they are asked to explain, they go into digressions.

Start with observation, then; no more digressions about other things like that not all atheists are into scientific inquiry, etc.

I am addressing myself to atheists who state or are of the position that their inquiry in science, history, and literature leads them to the conviction that there is no God.

For atheists who are not of the conviction that inquiry in science, history, and literature leads them to the conclusion that there is no God, we will work on how you come to the non-existence of God when the present issue is finished, namely, that inquiry in science, history, and literature leads atheists or a lot of them to the conclusion that there is no God.

Pachomius
25-05-2012, 04:47 PM
(25-05-2012 04:11 PM)Pachomius Wrote:  Start with observation, then; no more digressions about other things like that not all atheists are into scientific inquiry, etc.

I am addressing myself to atheists who state or are of the position that their inquiry in science, history, and literature leads them to the conviction that there is no God.

For atheists who are not of the conviction that inquiry in science, history, and literature leads them to the conclusion that there is no God, we will work on how you come to the non-existence of God when the present issue is finished, namely, that inquiry in science, history, and literature leads atheists or a lot of them to the conclusion that there is no God.
Observation: The continued existence of evil.
Observation: The continued existence of suffering.
Observation: The continued existence of amputees.
Observation: The existence of 400,000 species of beetles. Is your God inordinately fond of beetles?
Observation: Look at the universe around you, how it is, how it works; does it look guided by a beneficent being?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
25-05-2012, 04:54 PM (This post was last modified: 25-05-2012 05:06 PM by Vipa.)
(i) Observation: Everything so far is explainable without a god (or at least the things we know we don't understand yet give us not even the slightest hint of a god playing hide and seek with us...)

(ii) Define Problem: No problem

Exit...

Is it that hard?

Science is not here to explain you a non-existence... That is always the trouble with theists, they talk a lot but when they are asked to explain, they go into digressions.
Those who make a positive claim (e.g. a god exists) have to show the evidence... There is no evidence ergo there is no god as far as science is concerned (no one says there's no god with 100% certainty)
[+] 2 users Like Vipa's post
25-05-2012, 05:02 PM
If man had never suggested the existence of a god(s), what evidence would cause someone to make that suggestion in light of our advancements in science that enable us to explain the universe in purely natural terms as is?

Or I could replace god with

If man had never suggested the existence of a Bigfoot, what evidence would cause someone to make that suggestion in light of our advancements in science that enable us to explain the universe in purely natural terms as is?

Or

If man had never suggested the existence of Aliens, what evidence would cause someone to make that suggestion in light of our advancements in science that enable us to explain the universe in purely natural terms as is?

Or

If man had never suggested the existence of Chupacabra, what evidence would cause someone to make that suggestion in light of our advancements in science that enable us to explain the universe in purely natural terms as is?

Or ghosts, monsters, Santa Claus, the Loch Ness monster. How does one prove that something doesn't exist? How could I prove with 100% certainty that the fictional character of Mickey Mouse is not actually real? I can't. I can only show that it is an unnecessary assumption with no supporting evidence and is therefore highly unlikely.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post