As an older brother

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-08-2012, 06:16 AM
As an older brother
I think by now most of us have heard the situation of an atheist and a religious person being a couple, but I think my situation is more unique.

When I was 17 (now 20) I came out as an atheist and my parents were fine with me believing what I wanted, but they were clear that I could not influence my younger brothers directly or indirectly against religion (how indirectly this is possible I'm not sure).

Sure enough one of my younger brothers, now 14, is making his confirmation as an atheist. It's hard to stand by and watch. I did talk to him about it, and he said he wouldn't come out till he was "like 20." He didn't find it that big of a deal and was excited to have an excuse to get money/gifts, lol.

I don't know what to think, so I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-08-2012, 06:25 AM
RE: As an older brother
Money and gifts? What?

[Image: opforum1.png]
[+] 2 users Like frankiej's post
28-08-2012, 06:51 AM
Your bro is his own person. Your parents need to understand that. He will be influenced by everyone in his life, there's no getting away from it. Them as well as you. But in the end he's the one who decides what he will and won't believe, no one else does that for him. So I think their original condition was a bit silly...
28-08-2012, 09:45 AM
I think you meant he's having confirmation as a theist, cause if we get money and gifts for being an atheist, I got robbed.
Don't worry about him so much. He's 14. His mind will change so many times in the next 10 years, it's hard to say what his beliefs will be,
but as long as you are open and honest with him and only give him the facts about life, there is only one real choice you can make in reality.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
28-08-2012, 09:46 AM
(28-08-2012 09:45 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  I think you meant he's having confirmation as a theist, cause if we get money and gifts for being an atheist, I got robbed.

Ah, I was wondering where mine were.

It is rather petty though... "You are a theist? Oh! Have this money!!!".

[+] 1 user Likes frankiej's post
28-08-2012, 11:29 AM
rjg4242,

You're brother will probably come out when he is ready. If living the lie is what he is more comfortable with for now, it's really his choice to make. I would suggest talking with him about it from time to time without pushing anything just so he doesn't become too comfortable with his complacency.

Also, for you to ponder: Is this bothering you just because he isn't being honest with himself and your parents or is it maybe more because you wish he would come out so you wouldn't be alone in your own atheism and facing your parents about it?

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
28-08-2012, 11:43 AM
(28-08-2012 06:25 AM)frankiej Wrote:  Money and gifts? What?

I got like 600 for my communion and 200 for my confirmation from my relations Tongue What a scam the Catholic church is Dodgy
28-08-2012, 12:18 PM
(28-08-2012 11:43 AM)Magoo Wrote:  
(28-08-2012 06:25 AM)frankiej Wrote:  Money and gifts? What?

I got like 600 for my communion and 200 for my confirmation from my relations Tongue What a scam the Catholic church is Dodgy

WTF? This is the first I have heard about this. That is what I get for always having been an atheist... pretty fuckin' sneaky of them though. What teenager is going to turn that down?

28-08-2012, 01:10 PM
(28-08-2012 11:29 AM)Impulse Wrote:  rjg4242,

You're brother will probably come out when he is ready. If living the lie is what he is more comfortable with for now, it's really his choice to make. I would suggest talking with him about it from time to time without pushing anything just so he doesn't become too comfortable with his complacency.

Also, for you to ponder: Is this bothering you just because he isn't being honest with himself and your parents or is it maybe more because you wish he would come out so you wouldn't be alone in your own atheism and facing your parents about it?
More like because he isn't being honest, and when I was his age, I was in the same position and i regret not coming out before i made my confirmation. I'm not alone in my atheism at all.
28-08-2012, 01:14 PM
800 for confirmation - hell I'm converting Smile

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post