As an older brother

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-08-2012, 01:25 PM
RE: As an older brother
If I recall correctly, I recieved about 40€ for my confirmation. Oh well.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-08-2012, 01:58 PM
(28-08-2012 01:10 PM)rjg4242 Wrote:  
(28-08-2012 11:29 AM)Impulse Wrote:  rjg4242,

You're brother will probably come out when he is ready. If living the lie is what he is more comfortable with for now, it's really his choice to make. I would suggest talking with him about it from time to time without pushing anything just so he doesn't become too comfortable with his complacency.

Also, for you to ponder: Is this bothering you just because he isn't being honest with himself and your parents or is it maybe more because you wish he would come out so you wouldn't be alone in your own atheism and facing your parents about it?
More like because he isn't being honest, and when I was his age, I was in the same position and i regret not coming out before i made my confirmation. I'm not alone in my atheism at all.
Ok, glad to hear that. Thumbsup

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
29-08-2012, 05:21 AM
In Norway confirmation is more a tradition then religious ritual. We have religious (christian) and civil (humanitarian mostly). I had a christian one, why? Because that's what all my friends did. Why did they do it? Same reason.

And yes, we do get gifts/money Tongue

Glad your brother got the chance to figure it out for himself, seems like a rare occasion in your country.
29-08-2012, 05:52 AM
I ditched out of confirmation.

Fuckers ain't going to make me commit to ANYTHING.Cool

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
[+] 1 user Likes Atothetheist's post
30-08-2012, 10:36 AM
Looking back, when I was confirmed, I wasn't old enough to really make that choice for myself. I was still in the phase of accepting what I was told by my "perfect all-knowing" parents. I think the Catholic church does this on purpose so people are confirmed before they might really think about not becoming confirmed. I wonder how they fit their indoctrination philosophy in with God wanted us to have free will... Consider

It seems to me I did get some money, but that was too long ago to remember exactly how much now.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair