As atheism rises, America declines

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-01-2013, 11:32 AM
RE: As atheism rises, America declines
(26-01-2013 11:15 AM)Reltzik Wrote:  ...the anti-war mentality that got real, popular traction in the 60s, and was ultimately founded in Christianity.

No, it wasn't. It was based on largely humanist principles and objections.

Otherwise, you're reply was good.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Chas's post
26-01-2013, 11:57 AM
(26-01-2013 11:32 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(26-01-2013 11:15 AM)Reltzik Wrote:  ...the anti-war mentality that got real, popular traction in the 60s, and was ultimately founded in Christianity.

I'll rephrase that to "grew out of Christianity". Which humanism by-and-large did, at least in Western culture, over the course of centuries. (It's in good company, too. A lot of people on these boards also grew out of Christianity. Or maybe outgrew.)

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Reltzik's post
26-01-2013, 12:29 PM
(26-01-2013 11:32 AM)Chas Wrote:  

Neither. It was based largely on the sacraments introduced by the Prophet himself, the late very great Albert Hofmann.

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
26-01-2013, 01:00 PM
(26-01-2013 11:15 AM)Reltzik Wrote:  ...Oh, RIGHT! We're declining BECAUSE WE'RE BECOMING MORE ATHEISTIC! I forgot this obvious trick. If we abandon God, we're obviously declining into depravity! And of COURSE atheism is responsible for this! This isn't about cause and effect, this is equivocation!

It certainly is equivocation. Thumbsup

(26-01-2013 11:15 AM)Reltzik Wrote:  ...And really? It's the only way that part of the article makes any sense. (I'm probably being overgenerous in expecting it to make sense, but.) The notion of the decline is not supported, at all. It's simply asserted, and linked to atheism by... what? Proximity?

Agreed. Who decides exactly wherein ''decline'' actually consists?

Legalizing marijuana could be seen as upward progress. Gay marriage could lead to greater happiness in society and more tolerance towards other minority groups whose sexuality is seen as ''abnormal''. The decline of religion in America could spur a massive outpouring of secular humanist charitable giving that could shame other religions. Atheists dont need God to be good. Here's a great example of atheists providing a moral compass for all the world. A light on the hill.

Why Atheism Plus Is Good for Atheism
http://freethoughtblogs.com/greta/2012/0...r-atheism/

Maybe its just me, but does this logo look a bit like a road winding its way up towards a cross on top of a mountain?

[Image: Atheism-Plus.png]
26-01-2013, 01:36 PM
Ah one of my favourite Christian arguments - "We're right! You're wrong! But we're humble. Now read my book!"
Dunno what you rabid, evangelistic, trendy hipster atheists driving the wrong way down the highway like to call yourselves, but I've never referred to myself as a "none".
[+] 2 users Like hedgehog648's post
26-01-2013, 02:22 PM
(26-01-2013 01:00 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  Maybe its just me, but does this logo look a bit like a road winding its way up towards a cross on top of a mountain?
It's just you. A cross is a very simple symbol. I've seen some idiot pull up a picture of a galaxy 'shaped like a cross' - it proves nothing other than that two lines crossing is hardly remarkable.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
26-01-2013, 04:06 PM
(26-01-2013 01:00 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  Maybe its just me, but does this logo look a bit like a road winding its way up towards a cross on top of a mountain?

[Image: Atheism-Plus.png]
Actually, it looks more like the road taking a sharp turn to avoid coming to the cross, and then another sharp right to get as far away from it as possible.

Also the symbols are unrelated. The mathematical + sign is a shortening of Latin's "et" and based on the Latin t, the origins of which in Phoenician was a mark that was often used as a signature.

The Christian cross was, of course, based on the frame for Christ's crucifixion (or the popular imagery of such). The cross (crux) execution frame had no fixed shape, and could be anything from a single upright stake to a Y-frame or X-frame to something that looked like a capital T, or even just a handy tree. It made no attempt to conform to any particular letter or signature, and its form followed its function. Other definitions of the word cross (such as to cross the path, or a cross-beam) derive from the X frame or T frame or the one typically associated with the crucifixion of Christ.

In any case, while a cross-line intersecting at or near the top of the crux made sense for a crucifixion if one wanted the condemned's arms outstretched, and near the bottom if one wished to hang the condemned upside down (also a common practice), a cross-beam in the middle would not have been practical, given human physiology. The + symbol in this picture is unambiguously a + and not a cross.

Wheee! Pedantry is fun!

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail
[+] 1 user Likes Reltzik's post
26-01-2013, 04:47 PM
Ah yes, scapegoating a minority during unfavorable times and casting themselves in the role of the oppressed victim.

How very Christian of them.

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Tartarus Sauce's post
26-01-2013, 06:06 PM
Obviously America is declining while atheism is rising. But also rising in America are things like average income, literacy, population, inflation, number of college graduates each year, number of TV channels on local cable networks, number of democrats, number of republicans, number of McDonalds restaurants, number of people attending Denver Broncos games, a bunch of other things, some good, some bad, but most of them completely unrelated.

It's like saying that global warming is rising with the decline of piracy in the world.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 1 user Likes Aseptic Skeptic's post
26-01-2013, 06:34 PM
Ahh yes and I'm sure we all remember the great rise of Atheism right before the Great Depression of the 1930's

I'm not quite sure how all the christians can blame the relatively few atheists for their coffers not being as full or for the economy tanking from THEIR eternal greed.

Don't worry greedy bastards, us atheists will save you from your wicked ways.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results