As atheism rises, America declines

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-01-2013, 06:22 PM
RE: As atheism rises, America declines
(27-01-2013 06:17 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(27-01-2013 05:45 PM)Chas Wrote:  Because we've got some great fucking universities. The public schools are not so great - some are, most aren't.

The Universities they are coming to are by and large Public Universities.

No, I meant primary/secondary, not university.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-01-2013, 06:42 PM (This post was last modified: 27-01-2013 06:46 PM by fstratzero.)
Dear Egor

Sensationalism is a type of editorial bias in mass media in which events and topics in news stories and pieces are over-hyped to increase viewership or readership numbers. Sensationalism may include reporting about generally insignificant matters and events that don't influence overall society and biased presentations of newsworthy topics in a sensationalist, trivial or tabloid manner.

Some tactics include being deliberately obtuse, appealing to emotions, being controversial, intentionally omitting facts and information, being loud, self-centered and acting to obtain attention. Trivial information and events are sometimes misrepresented and exaggerated as important or significant, and often includes stories about the actions of individuals and small groups of people, the content of which is often insignificant and irrelevant relative to the macro-level day-to-day events that occur globally. Furthermore, the content and subject matter typically doesn't affect the lives of the masses and doesn't affect society, and instead is broadcast and printed to attract viewers and readers. Examples include press coverage about the Bill Clinton/Monica Lewinsky scandal, Casey Anthony Trial, Tonya Harding's role in the attack of Nancy Kerrigan, the Elian Gonzalez affair and the O.J. Simpson murder case.

If only you could separate facts from opinions. Just because a news commentator says it, does not make it true.

Also the O'Reilly factor is considered to be a talk show, which allows fox to skirt around the FCC regulations for news.
http://www.fcc.gov/guides/broadcast-jour...complaints

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like fstratzero's post
27-01-2013, 10:09 PM
(27-01-2013 02:03 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(27-01-2013 12:45 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  Would you mind expanding on that, Mister Terse?
The U.S. has been steadily dropping in the world rankings in infant mortality, science and math proficiency, literacy, wealth and income equality, health care, murder rates, incarceration rates, national debt, and so on for many years.
Murder rates I'll waver on. Yeah, they're going up. Before the recession, they were going down. More a momentary movement than a deep trend. Also, reporting and recording is up over, say, the lynching days of the Deep South. Otherwise, I'll agree on all these points.

But I don't think any of these represents a fundamental loss of potential or capacity. Incarceration and murder rates (and a chunk of other problems) could be fixed with some (difficult) handwaving by revisiting drug laws. Literacy and science and math, by changing the culture around education. We have sufficient expertise out there to recruit the teachers and teach the children; we're not in the situation where we couldn't get teachers if our lives depended on it. National debt, wealth and income inequality, with a fiscal policy that isn't utterly neurotic. And health care by, say, revisiting the corn subsidy or how medicare calculates payments. Each of these are a case of us having shot ourselves in the foot, but also a case where we can stop shooting ourselves in the foot. Politically difficult in the existing environment, true, but quite doable theoretically. Nothing fundamentally unfixable.

But I guess it can still be called a decline, even if it's not a slippery slope into the abyss. Which, I'll admit, is what I was mentally equating with "decline".

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail
27-01-2013, 10:20 PM
The scary shit about this shit (in the OP) is not the shit that is being said, but that people with lesser minds buy into what is being said and soak it up like a sponge in water.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
28-01-2013, 08:35 AM
(26-01-2013 08:02 AM)kpax Wrote:  
Quote:As the decline of American society persists, it is not coincidence that
...the use of digital technology for movies...
...the number of electric cars...
...consumption of high sugar foods...
...belief that the Cubs will finally win the World Series...
Quote:in the United States is simultaneously growing.

Wow, so many choices as to what to blame for the decline of the US. Which one do I pick today? Consider

[Image: h8m4.jpg]
28-01-2013, 10:31 AM (This post was last modified: 28-01-2013 10:45 AM by TrulyX.)
(27-01-2013 02:03 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(27-01-2013 12:45 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  Would you mind expanding on that, Mister Terse?
The U.S. has been steadily dropping in the world rankings in infant mortality, science and math proficiency, literacy, wealth and income equality, health care, murder rates, incarceration rates, national debt, and so on for many years.

I view us as having the largest, strongest opposition to progress, as opposed to seeing it as a decline.

We are falling behind countries who have had a willingness to see problems within their societies and to be active in implementing proper solutions, with enough power and cohesiveness to make those ideas a reality.

With the US, it doesn't matter what the issue is, we will have fanatical, blood-lusting opposition, to any progress in that area. We are like an Arab nation, that is a part of the Western world, which is why I find it quite hypocritical when people attack countries like Iran or Islam as a religion. America is worse than Iran, Bush Jr. was an Ahmadinejad, and Christianity, in the US, is way worse than Islam in Arab countries, because relatively, we have the infrastructure, the resources and the stability, yet still behave as if a civil war was fought last year and an era of enlightenment didn't take place.

If it wasn't for the quality of the resources that we have and quality of the infrastructural and governmental system we have in place, we would probably be declining, but in a good amount of areas, from my view, we have been pretty stable, even if surpassed by others making decent progress.

Especially if you looked at makers specific to the powerful and the elite, the US would probably still be quite the envy of the rest of the world, at least I'd assume. If you are part of a certain class, that kind of have the power to keep things working in their favor, then the problems you would see looking a broad, general picture of equality, happiness, wouldn't apply. That class still has access to the best healthcare, best doctors, treatments, etc., that you will get anywhere in the world, the best universities and colleges anywhere in the world, an incredible climate to do business, a great infrastructure, military, a society that respects and looks up to them, etc. If you have or can get what you need in this country, in terms of wealth and resources, I doubt I could envision another place that you would want to be, besides just on vacation.

The Paradox Of Fools And Wise Men:
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.” ― Bertrand Russell
28-01-2013, 01:33 PM
FTFA Wrote:the number of "nones," as these trendy hipsters like to call themselves

"Trendy hipster" my ass.

[Image: kZK8p.gif]

(26-01-2013 01:00 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  Maybe its just me, but does this logo look a bit like a road winding its way up towards a cross on top of a mountain?

[Image: Atheism-Plus.png]

[Image: FtQOL.gif]
[+] 2 users Like kineo's post
28-01-2013, 05:21 PM
(26-01-2013 08:02 AM)kpax Wrote:  Atheism is now to blame for the world's problems.

http://www.onenewsnow.com/perspectives/p...a-declines

Quote:As the decline of American society persists, it is not coincidence that the atheist movement in the United States is simultaneously growing.

Apparently he has never taken Statistics 101. Correlation does not imply causation.

Worse yet, beyond that subtitle that you quoted, he didn't even discuss anything to support it. He just went on a rant about atheists. I wonder what he considers "the decline of American society"...

Silence is only golden when it's not synonymous with a failure to speak out against injustice.

"We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then blames them for his own mistakes." --Gene Roddenberry
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
15-04-2013, 12:37 PM
The rise in Atheism is the direct result of the rise in education. Education cures religious indoctrination.
15-04-2013, 10:51 PM
(27-01-2013 06:03 AM)Egor Wrote:  Atheism is absolutely a detriment to society. The more people believe in God, and more to the point their relationship with God, the less they rely on society to provide for them. In other words they are more independent and self-reliant. The more atheism rears it's ugly head, the more people turn to society as their God-replacement, and this boggs down the system.

Right, which is why Red States are the one that draw on the most resources while blue states contribute the most.

Humanists of West Florida
GC CoR
P'cola Skeptic in thePub
GC Freethinker
[+] 1 user Likes KeenIdiot's post