As atheist.. What keeps you going?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-07-2013, 10:55 PM (This post was last modified: 24-07-2013 11:04 PM by Bucky Ball.)
RE: As atheist.. What keeps you going?
(24-07-2013 10:25 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  You know. It amazes me when people act like they dont mind death. I don't buy it. The end of your existence has to cause some emotion of fear, I dont care how much twain you hide behind. Tongue

I worked in a hospital. I've seen a lot of people die.
There's nothing to fear in the process. When it's over, it's over.
Especially when people are older and very ill, they WANT it to be done. The thing to fear is, if idiot family members (for their own reasons, denial, and grief they never did what they should have when the person was alive and healthy) prolong the process, and insist on heroics, when the person wants to die, and the heroics only prolongs the inevitable.
Look at the stats. The vast majority of Medicare's money is spent on care in the last few months/weeks, on shit that does no good anyway. It's far worse in the US where the denial of death is institutionalized. Even in Europe, where medicine, especially in Northern Europe is as good or better than the US, far less money is wasted on trying to stop death from happening. It's funny, Americans *say* they believe in heaven. They sure are in no hurry to get there.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
24-07-2013, 11:00 PM
(24-07-2013 10:55 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(24-07-2013 10:25 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  You know. It amazes me when people act like they dont mind death. I don't buy it. The end of your existence has to cause some emotion of fear, I dont care how much twain you hide behind. Tongue

I worked in a hospital. I've seen a lot of people die.
There's nothing to fear in the process. When it's over, it's over.

Worked in Alzheimers, saw a lot of horrific deaths. Point?
24-07-2013, 11:02 PM
That might actually be why I have issues with it. Watching people drown in their fluids slowly and scream for breathe for weeks will do that to some people.
24-07-2013, 11:07 PM
(24-07-2013 11:02 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  That might actually be why I have issues with it. Watching people drown in their fluids slowly and scream for breathe for weeks will do that to some people.

So you fear the (possible) process, not the fact of being dead.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
24-07-2013, 11:09 PM
(24-07-2013 11:07 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(24-07-2013 11:02 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  That might actually be why I have issues with it. Watching people drown in their fluids slowly and scream for breathe for weeks will do that to some people.

Yeah. I think that might be correct. I've been around a lot of people who have died. I don't think any were pleasant, including my grandparents Sad
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
24-07-2013, 11:13 PM
I used to be scared of death. It really preyed on my mind.

Then one day I suddenly thought... "Hey you know what, this is *not* something you're gonna solve. Barring major technological advances of a sci-fi level of amazingness, you are gonna die in the next 100 odd years. So you can choose. You can go to your death with some sort of dignity and get on with life up until that point, or you can let it eat away at you and feel all sad and shit that you didn't live longer, when *right now*, all you are doing is feeling sad because it will end, but *you could be enjoying the limited time that you have*."

And from then on I stopped thinking about it so much. There were a few other events that contributed but I don't live in fear of death any more. Of course when I finally die I will probably feel afraid but even as I type this there is no fear right now - if I picture my personal death it seems very abstract and far away...
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
24-07-2013, 11:15 PM
As atheist.. What keeps you going?
(24-07-2013 11:07 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  

If I didn't fear the process of dying, I probably would've already given it a go. Drinking Beverage

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
24-07-2013, 11:28 PM
Death doesn't scare me, but like other's, the process does. Pain is terrifying. I've been in pain in my life where I wish I was dead, one was an accident and the other was one of my labours. I've watched loved ones die. Some of them have been peaceful and painless. But not ever being around again? That doesn't scare me. I am thankful I got the opportunity to be alive, I get/got the opportunity to be a conscious part of a seemingly unconscious universe. I'll always be a part of this, dead or alive.
[+] 2 users Like LadyJane's post
25-07-2013, 03:29 AM
Because helping and interacting with my fellow human beings is so much more rewarding than dying. I love it.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
25-07-2013, 04:39 AM
I don't care. Now, where did I leave my Pringels?

[Image: 9f6.gif]