"As long as you don't become an atheist"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-03-2014, 12:31 PM
RE: "As long as you don't become an atheist"
It sounds like your family is genuinely loving and cares for you, and they sound fairly gentle in their approach (I didn't read all the posts, so I may have missed something). You're going to likely hear comments all around you all the time regarding atheism and will probably receive a lot of sad looks and maybe some tearful begging. As long as they are actually treating you well, I would say to please be gentle with them for their sake. Also, what others said about sticking it out while you're there.

But that's just me. I tend to be short a backbone, so take that for what it's worth.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-03-2014, 02:56 PM
I talked to one of my family members about evolution once and ended up bruised up after they kicked my ass. You don't have it too bad.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] ♪僕は恐怖の一定した状態に住んで、不幸、逃すもう?僕は、それはもう痛いときも気づかないと
15-03-2014, 03:34 PM
I would mention that when he can come up with a valid argument as to why you shouldn't become an atheist, you'd be willing to listen but it can't include biblical quotes. His thot's and conclusions only.
15-03-2014, 04:27 PM
(15-03-2014 11:52 AM)le_bard Wrote:  He's willing to swallow the bullshit if it means having the morals he's learned. Any other question I have issue with in the bible would get swept under the rug while he champions the morals bs.

Talk about a golden opportunity here!

The best defense, and I mean this sincerely, is to know the Bible inside and out. Take DocSkeptic as an example, he can quote chapter and verse and the things he brings to light here on TTA regarding the "morality" in that book would be laughable if it weren't so tragic.

If morality is what your dad clings to then as you read the Bible and come to some of the more inhumane things ever written on paper ask him about it.

"Hey dad, I want your take on this. It says here..."

The Xtians cherry pick their verses so why not you? Go have some fun, make this a weekly Q&A with your dad. Those eighteen months you'll be around before heading to college are going to seem like an eternity to him. Yes Hell, it may even make him question himself Consider Big Grin

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
15-03-2014, 04:44 PM
Also make yourself familiar with their defenses for certain moral issues in the bible. If you look up John MacArthur (a Christian pastor, teacher, speaker and apologist) you'll see a lot of their reasoning for things. Then again, I'm coming from a fundamentalist background, so I don't know what your parents actually think regarding stuff...

Answers in Genesis and Ray Comfort also illustrate common lines of reasoning.

Try to keep some Christopher Hitchens on hand for those hard moments. lol
[+] 1 user Likes Charis's post
19-03-2014, 06:56 AM
I have not gone full on athiest to my family yet, but I do take the opportunities to shoot down religous based reasons for crappy behaviour when they come up in conversation. They do not like it one bit, but find it hard to get mad at me when I am on the moral high ground. They are not fundies so they do not get all worked up about religion in general.

An yes I have heard some form of "as long as you do not become an athiest", usually in the form of "you just got to believe". I know my family loves me and they think they are looking out for me so as long as it stays civil I will not get worked up over it. I'm 43 so it is not just younger people that get the treatment.