As soon as I mention the Archaeological findings, it goes off the rails

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-05-2017, 05:02 AM (This post was last modified: 31-05-2017 05:09 AM by mordant.)
RE: As soon as I mention the Archaeological findings, it goes off the rails
(30-05-2017 12:23 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Why would someone who is an atheist travel back in time to falsify the Bible? That doesn't make sense to me at all. They believe god isn't real and that the bible is the fallible word of man, so they invent time travel to prove this is true by creating false evidence even though such false evidence wouldn't be necessary to be an atheist or show the bible as untrue?
This strikes me as the notion that atheists know they are lying but hate god so much that they would deliberately falsify the evidence if they could. It is just projection on the part of a gnostic theist that they think they know certain things to be axiomatic, therefore, everyone else must, too. That you can't be unbelieving, only resisting or rebelling against what you know to be true.

That is of course itself a position of staggering willful ignorance, so this is also just projection. It's also a position of staggering arrogance, since it involves deciding what other people think, and why, rather than simply asking them.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like mordant's post
31-05-2017, 05:09 AM
(31-05-2017 02:12 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  Technically, time travel is possible....but only by going forward in time, and it's not as easy as just hoping into the phone booth or something like that.

The current theory states the gravity warps time, so travelling around a super-massive black hole in a space craft for X amount of time, would result in all other time moving forward, except for those on board the ship around the black hole. Kind of like how Charlton Heston in planet of the apes, arrives on earth much later although he is the same age.
That doesn't even require a black hole. Time dilation occurs simply by traveling at sufficiently fast sub-luminal speeds; it becomes significant at a significant percentage of light speed. So someone traveling that fast would perceive the passage of, say, weeks but upon returning to earth would find hundreds of years had passed. This is not time travel as such, it just has the same net effect as one-way time travel to the future.
[+] 1 user Likes mordant's post
31-05-2017, 05:10 AM
(31-05-2017 05:09 AM)mordant Wrote:  
(31-05-2017 02:12 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  Technically, time travel is possible....but only by going forward in time, and it's not as easy as just hoping into the phone booth or something like that.

The current theory states the gravity warps time, so travelling around a super-massive black hole in a space craft for X amount of time, would result in all other time moving forward, except for those on board the ship around the black hole. Kind of like how Charlton Heston in planet of the apes, arrives on earth much later although he is the same age.
That doesn't even require a black hole. Time dilation occurs simply by traveling at sufficiently fast sub-luminal speeds; it becomes significant at a significant percentage of light speed. So someone traveling that fast would perceive the passage of, say, weeks but upon returning to earth would find hundreds of years had passed. This is not time travel as such, it just has the same net effect as one-way time travel to the future.
I had seen an idea about making a train that went around the entire earth, but at almost light speed, and when it stopped time would have moved forward some what.

"I don't do magic, Morty, I do science. One takes brains, the other takes dark eye liner" - Rick
I now sell T-Shirts Here! Please Check it out Thumbsup
31-05-2017, 05:21 AM
If I'd gone back in time it'd be a simple matter to bring along a few everyday devices and become a miracle worker. I wouldn't have to plant false evidence, I could just replace Jesus.

What actually happened is that a theist tried to do just that in order to plant evidence but their equipment was damaged in the time trip and they only managed to start a few scattered rumors. That's why we have such sparse, pitiful "evidence" for any of it today.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
31-05-2017, 05:22 AM
(31-05-2017 05:10 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  
(31-05-2017 05:09 AM)mordant Wrote:  That doesn't even require a black hole. Time dilation occurs simply by traveling at sufficiently fast sub-luminal speeds; it becomes significant at a significant percentage of light speed. So someone traveling that fast would perceive the passage of, say, weeks but upon returning to earth would find hundreds of years had passed. This is not time travel as such, it just has the same net effect as one-way time travel to the future.
I had seen an idea about making a train that went around the entire earth, but at almost light speed, and when it stopped time would have moved forward some what.

According to the Superman movie, if it goes against the rotation direction it can actually go backwards in time.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
31-05-2017, 05:26 AM
(31-05-2017 05:21 AM)unfogged Wrote:  If I'd gone back in time it'd be a simple matter to bring along a few everyday devices and become a miracle worker. I wouldn't have to plant false evidence, I could just replace Jesus.

What actually happened is that a theist tried to do just that in order to plant evidence but their equipment was damaged in the time trip and they only managed to start a few scattered rumors. That's why we have such sparse, pitiful "evidence" for any of it today.
That'd be hilarious if religion is caused by a time travelling atheist Laugh out load

(31-05-2017 05:22 AM)unfogged Wrote:  According to the Superman movie, if it goes against the rotation direction it can actually go backwards in time.
+1 for seeing that movie, its awesome Smile

"I don't do magic, Morty, I do science. One takes brains, the other takes dark eye liner" - Rick
I now sell T-Shirts Here! Please Check it out Thumbsup
31-05-2017, 05:31 AM
(31-05-2017 05:09 AM)mordant Wrote:  That doesn't even require a black hole. Time dilation occurs simply by traveling at sufficiently fast sub-luminal speeds; it becomes significant at a significant percentage of light speed. So someone traveling that fast would perceive the passage of, say, weeks but upon returning to earth would find hundreds of years had passed. This is not time travel as such, it just has the same net effect as one-way time travel to the future.

That's the premise of my favorite sci-fi book of all time (pun intended), The Forever War by Joe Haldeman. If you're a fan of sci-fi and you haven't read this, put it on your Very Short List.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
31-05-2017, 05:45 AM
(31-05-2017 05:31 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  

That's the premise of my favorite sci-fi book of all time (pun intended), The Forever War by Joe Haldeman. If you're a fan of sci-fi and you haven't read this, put it on your Very Short List.

> I recall reading that book way back in the 1970's when I was really into Sci-fi. It had some time dilation concepts that, at the time, were hard to wrap my mind around. Consider
31-05-2017, 06:22 AM (This post was last modified: 31-05-2017 06:53 AM by RocketSurgeon76.)
(31-05-2017 05:45 AM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  
(31-05-2017 05:31 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  That's the premise of my favorite sci-fi book of all time (pun intended), The Forever War by Joe Haldeman. If you're a fan of sci-fi and you haven't read this, put it on your Very Short List.

> I recall reading that book way back in the 1970's when I was really into Sci-fi. It had some time dilation concepts that, at the time, were hard to wrap my mind around. Consider

You really should read it again. The 70s version was heavily edited from what the author wrote, because some of the subjects were considered taboo (when he [edit: the protagonist] returned to earth between missions, years into the "future", which for him were only a couple of years apart due to the time dilation). The 1991 "author's edition" version is the restored original, and is WORLDS better.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
31-05-2017, 08:34 PM
(30-05-2017 06:13 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  Yes, as RocketSurgeon has already mentioned, the language and imagery should be modern American English not Roman era Jewish.
He'll claim somehow they perfectly copied Roman Era Hebrew. And let's face it, no... Hebrew has changed and we can only guess at some words.

It's like when people I know translate things into French. They're almost right. It's not wrong but it's not right. I did the same thing in Spanish and my boricua buddy said I was so close but got a preposition wrong. It made sense the way I said it but it's not how they actually say it.

Imagine trying to perfectly write a language that no one has spoken in centuries. Google Translate aint helping, sunshine.
[+] 2 users Like Clockwork's post