As the world turns....

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-12-2012, 12:22 PM
As the world turns....
As we near the end of 2012, I can't help but look back and reflect on the many accomplishments and discoveries of the past year. Personally, I can't believe I made it through my year in the hormonal freak zone but things seem to be settling down now.

I am very interested in Science, I'm sure we all recall the confirmation of the Higgs boson after 50 years of wondering about the damned thing. There are tons of other scientific things that went on - a great deal in the area of DNA research - I think human beings can and should be particularly proud to have accomplished this research.

These four pretty much fuck with my head for their far reaching implications:
[Image: 2012history_zps84e966d2.jpg]
WHUT?!?!? Yep - here's a YouTube link to Pat Robertson's startling revelation, as it might be called.

To sum it up, it may very well have been a mind blowing year in many different ways.
In the world at large or personally, what has blown your mind about the past year? Smile

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 12 users Like kim's post
25-12-2012, 02:28 PM
RE: As the world turns....
Libya, Egypt.

Hurricane Sandy.

That's global mind blow stuff that I was impressed by.

Personal mind blow stuff:

There was some. Mainly learned that friends are necessary... and lonely is not a good place to be. And exercise is necessary. And work is hard. But rewarding. Sometimes.

And *I LIKE BOTSWANA* Yes
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
26-12-2012, 03:24 AM (This post was last modified: 26-12-2012 04:07 AM by Vera.)
Besides the obvious things, like the Higgs boson (despite the ridiculous god discussions it sparked, as well as the ludicrous meeting in Cern, as if religion hadn't already held us back more than enough) and even the faster-than-the-speed-of-light neutrinos (even if I didn't really believe it, entertaining the idea that we can be so fundamentally wrong was quite interesting), I would say that to me one of the highlights of the year was the Nobel prize for medicine or physiology. Call me naive, but to me that was a pretty encouraging sign that, among other things, we will finally start caring less about the non-existent 'soul' of a bunch of cells and more about alleviating the suffering of our fellow human beings and just making progress in knowledge.

(25-12-2012 02:28 PM)morondog Wrote:  lonely is not a good place to be.
[Image: empathy3.gif]
Indeed it isn't. Alone, on the other hand... Consider

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
26-12-2012, 06:37 AM
Saudi women compete in Olympics.

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
26-12-2012, 09:50 AM
As the world turns....
I learned morondog is a Whitey and it's blown my mind six ways to Sunday. Next thing you'll be telling me is Taz is white too. Weeping

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
26-12-2012, 10:00 AM
(26-12-2012 09:50 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  I learned morondog is a Whitey and it's blown my mind six ways to Sunday. Next thing you'll be telling me is Taz is white too. Weeping
If you actually read what we post, you would have known it already Laughat

Another thing I forgot to mention is that 2012 was Alan Turing year and yet he is yet to be pardoned by the British government for the horrific crime of... being homosexual No

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 3 users Like Vera's post
05-01-2013, 08:14 PM
I read somewhere that the first bionic eye implantation happened. Thats pretty cool. Smile

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." Soren Kierkegaard
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
05-01-2013, 08:23 PM
I'd love a link to that. My eyes suck and glasses don't help because my corneas are literally different every day so I'd have to have dozens of pairs of eyeglasses and constantly switch them as needed. I'd go bionic in an instant. Heck, my eyes offend me so I'd gladly pluck them out myself, except that I need them and have no alternatives (yet), so gimme those bionics!

(I'll pay extra for x-ray vision, you know, the kind from the back of comic books that, somehow, seems perfectly tuned for looking through clothing but not through skin, a 24/7 peepshow).

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 1 user Likes Aseptic Skeptic's post
05-01-2013, 08:53 PM
http://www.nhs.uk/news/2013/01January/Pa...-cure.aspx

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 2 users Like bemore's post
05-01-2013, 08:59 PM
[Image: 431px-PIA16239_High-Resolution_Self-Port...Camera.jpg]

One of my favourites for this past year.

Contribute to the Community Resource!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Near's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  What is wrong with this world. JDog554 24 638 19-04-2014 12:04 PM
Last Post: LostandInsecure
  world views in photo's Bows and Arrows 17 259 02-04-2014 03:25 PM
Last Post: Sam
  BEST MAYOR IN THE WORLD! GirlyMan 17 738 01-02-2014 10:11 PM
Last Post: GirlyMan
Smile World's future largest radio telescope had its ring structure completed on 12/31 HU.Junyuan 0 118 02-01-2014 09:21 PM
Last Post: HU.Junyuan
  Guess what? The world is still insane ...... Hughsie 2 220 05-10-2013 07:22 PM
Last Post: Ferdinand
  The Syrian military generals are the best in the world. I and I 2 235 20-07-2013 12:33 PM
Last Post: I and I
  Where in the world is Xi Jinping? Erxomai 16 979 15-09-2012 04:36 PM
Last Post: GirlyMan