Ashley Madison Hack and Monagamy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-08-2015, 03:03 PM
Ashley Madison Hack and Monagamy
I admit that I took a lot of joy in seeing Josh Duggar exposed, but overall I tend to agree with this guy.

http://www.dailydot.com/opinion/ashley-m...amy/?fb=dd

Quote:Ashley Madison had over 39 million users. That’s 39 million men and women who decided to look outside the strictures of monogamy. This goes beyond “glitch in the system” and straight into “we’re missing something significant” territory, because just that's the tip of the iceberg.

According to studies published in The Journal of Couple & Relationship Therapy, 55 percent of married women and 60 percent of married men report being unfaithful to their spouses. When more than half of married couples are having affairs to one degree or another, that becomes a topic of concern, not because of any moral crisis but because we need to take a longer, harder look at how we view sex and monogamy.

I don't endorse cheating, but I also don't think there is inherently anything wrong with having sex with more than one person at a time - even if you're married. Just be ethical about it.

Sure, there are definitely more than a few assholes on the list, but even then, I don't like the idea of self righteous hackers acting as morality police.

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Can_of_Beans's post
29-08-2015, 03:06 PM
RE: Ashley Madison Hack and Monagamy
(29-08-2015 03:03 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  I admit that I took a lot of joy in seeing Josh Duggar exposed, but overall I tend to agree with this guy.

Quote:Ashley Madison had over 39 million users. That’s 39 million men and women who decided to look outside the strictures of monogamy. This goes beyond “glitch in the system” and straight into “we’re missing something significant” territory, because just that's the tip of the iceberg.

According to studies published in The Journal of Couple & Relationship Therapy, 55 percent of married women and 60 percent of married men report being unfaithful to their spouses. When more than half of married couples are having affairs to one degree or another, that becomes a topic of concern, not because of any moral crisis but because we need to take a longer, harder look at how we view sex and monogamy.

I don't endorse cheating, but I also don't think there is inherently anything wrong with having sex with more than one person at a time - even if you're married. Just be ethical about it.

Sure, there are definitely more than a few assholes on the list, but even then, I don't like the idea of self righteous hackers acting as morality police.

Part of it is the secrecy, I think. Hiding something from your partner isn't usually a good thing, unless it's their birthday present.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
29-08-2015, 03:28 PM
I can't stand cheating, out of a relationship sure, do however many people you want but once you get into a relationship your supposed to commit to that relationship and going outside a relationship is usually a signal that the relationship is not working so instead you should usually break up before you go explore other options. It's like joining a football team, a player won't join the Detroit Lions and play for the Steelers while he is signed to the Lions.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
29-08-2015, 03:51 PM
(29-08-2015 03:06 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(29-08-2015 03:03 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  I admit that I took a lot of joy in seeing Josh Duggar exposed, but overall I tend to agree with this guy.

Part of it is the secrecy, I think. Hiding something from your partner isn't usually a good thing, unless it's their birthday present.

Yeah, I agree with that.

If someone wants to have an open relationship, they should let their partner know. Of course, that's easier said than done and could have some significant, negative repercussions, but it's an important part of being ethical about it.

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
29-08-2015, 03:52 PM
I think the takeaway here is that women could have signed up for Ashley Madison, but they didn't... overwhelmingly, they didn't.

Granted a woman doesn't need to do nearly as much work to find a person with whom to cheat on their spouse, so they're less likely to need a website to do it on.

But I think it counters a lot of the present narrative about the fidelity of women in the post-feminist age... and says a lot of bad things about men. Heh. Sad

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
29-08-2015, 03:59 PM
This is more in reference to the Ashley Madison hack, not a comment on how often folks actually cheat in marriages: I read this interesting article that shows who was really using the site. Turns out there probably wasn't a lot of cheating going on through this site.

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 2 users Like Smercury44's post
29-08-2015, 04:11 PM
I hate lawyers, too, but they'll get sued to oblivion; so it's like a big ol' evil self-correcting whirlpool. If you're building a platform to talk about monogamy, fine, monogamy's stupid; values held when we had half the expected lifespan should be reconsidered.

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
29-08-2015, 05:33 PM
I was wondering, how many people use this site not to cheat on their spouse, but to find a one night stand without having to hit the bars/dance floors or passing in the sewers of internet. It's not like you needed to send your marriage certificate to the administrators.
29-08-2015, 06:10 PM
(29-08-2015 05:33 PM)epronovost Wrote:  I was wondering, how many people use this site not to cheat on their spouse, but to find a one night stand without having to hit the bars/dance floors or passing in the sewers of internet. It's not like you needed to send your marriage certificate to the administrators.

Shit like this gives atheism a bad rep. Tongue

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-08-2015, 06:29 PM
I find it hard to believe that anyone finds it hard to believe that we're that prone to lying when it comes to sex.

I'll bet that 90% of Ashley Madison account holders got little more than fantasy fodder for masturbation at a high cost.

I honestly don't think that Josh Duggar cheated on his wife further than in his imagination with a bot.

The whole thing was a scam for dudes willing to pay for sex, the brilliant part being that they didn't need to actually get sex for them to pay for it.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post