Ask A Catholic

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-07-2014, 01:34 PM
RE: Ask A Catholic
Islaam, Hinduism, Buddhism, and Protestantism all survive just as well. Catholicism is not special. Unlike you, however, I believe that knowledge will eventually stamp out every one of them. It will just take a long time.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-07-2014, 02:15 PM (This post was last modified: 28-07-2014 02:30 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(28-07-2014 01:34 PM)Impulse Wrote:  Islaam, Hinduism, Buddhism, and Protestantism all survive just as well. Catholicism is not special. Unlike you, however, I believe that knowledge will eventually stamp out every one of them. It will just take a long time.

http://topconservativenews.com/2014/05/b...in-droves/
American Hispanics are leaving the Roman Church in droves.
Religion will survive in some form, but the earth is shifting under their feet, imperceptibly ... slowly but surely.
In general they don't talk about hell any more. 100 years ago, no Catholic would have said "God *is* Love". That in itself is a huge shift.
50 % of American Catholics can't say what "transubstantiation" is. 50 % of Lutherans don't know who Martin Luther was.
In general the more educated Northern European countries don't buy into religion. It will take a while, but religion has been replaced by science.
Science as a general worldview is very very new, relatively speaking.

Actually Mr. Clown, you're not as "off base" as it might look. We usually have someone around here who would argue the side you started the thread for. The last one was recently banned for sock-puppeting. You would have had fun with Jeremy Walker, (Germy). The others probably gave up on saving our souls. Although we recently had an infestation from Suscipe Domine. Some of us all got banned together from there. Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
28-07-2014, 02:59 PM (This post was last modified: 28-07-2014 03:16 PM by Wicked Clown.)
(28-07-2014 01:34 PM)Impulse Wrote:  Islaam, Hinduism, Buddhism, and Protestantism all survive just as well. Catholicism is not special. Unlike you, however, I believe that knowledge will eventually stamp out every one of them. It will just take a long time.
Actually, the institution, something equivalent to the Papacy, and the Hierarchy are not found in Islaam, Hinduism, or Buddhism. Islam has Imams but no ordination, clergy, or hierarchy.

Some Protestant denominations have something similar but those denominations aren't surviving. Anglicans have majorly compromised on what they used to teach about faith and morals.

Catholicism is an institution. Buddhism is a philosophy, and Hinduism is not an institution with a governing body, with a head. Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and nearly all Protestant Denominations have no authoritative interpreter of their Scriptures.

The Catholic Church has a Magisterium (teaching) authority that dates back to the first Century and settles disputes on Faith, Morales, Scriptural interpretation, and Theology. No other Religion that I know of has that.

Quote:100 years ago, no Catholic would have said "God *is* Love". That in itself is a huge shift.

"What does love look like? It has the hands to help others. It has the feet to hasten to the poor and needy. It has eyes to see misery and want. It has the ears to hear the sighs and sorrows of men. That is what love looks like."
--St. Augustine of Hippo 4th cenury

"My director, Jesus, does not teach me to count my acts, but to do everything for love
--St. Therese of Lisieux in a letter to Celine, July 6, 1893

"We must love our neighbor as being made in the image of God and as an object of His love."
--Saint Vincent de Paul

"The Eucharist (God) is the Sacrament of Love; It signifies Love, It produces love. The Eucharist is the consummation of the whole spiritual life."
--Saint Thomas Aquinas 13th Century

Everything comes from love, all is ordained for the salvation of man, God does nothing without this goal in mind.
--Saint Catherine of Siena 14th century

“God loves each of us as if there were only one of us.”
--St Augustine 4th century

Quote:Actually Mr. Clown, you're not as "off base" as it might look. We usually have someone around here who would argue the side you started the thread for. The last one was recently banned for sock-puppeting. You would have had fun with Jeremy Walker, (Germy). The others probably gave up on saving our souls. Although we recently had an infestation from Suscipe Domine. Some of us all got banned together from there.

Great! The Internet is huge and maybe some lurking fundie will stumble across this and register strictly to fuck with me!
I can only hope so! Tongue

See I've debated with Bible thumpers on Protestant apologetic s websites and they either delete my posts usually or ban my ass. Even on the sites where I'm allowed to debate like "CARM", you don't get to be real but act like a child in elementary school.

So, yeah it would be nicer here where we can be real christians and tell each other to fuck off and speak about our lust, our depravity, and our revolting sinfullness explicitly.

Also, the cool thing about if there were fundies posting is It would be funny to see the Theists and the Atheists in an alliance against my lamentable Papist ass
28-07-2014, 04:04 PM
(28-07-2014 02:15 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  http://topconservativenews.com/2014/05/b...in-droves/
American Hispanics are leaving the Roman Church in droves.
Religion will survive in some form, but the earth is shifting under their feet, imperceptibly ... slowly but surely.
In general they don't talk about hell any more. 100 years ago, no Catholic would have said "God *is* Love". That in itself is a huge shift.
50 % of American Catholics can't say what "transubstantiation" is. 50 % of Lutherans don't know who Martin Luther was.
In general the more educated Northern European countries don't buy into religion. It will take a while, but religion has been replaced by science.
Science as a general worldview is very very new, relatively speaking.
This is the type of thing gives me confidence that all religions will eventually all die out. (Probably not all superstition though, but that will remain among an insignificant minority if anything.)

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
28-07-2014, 04:13 PM
(28-07-2014 02:59 PM)Wicked Clown Wrote:  Actually, the institution, something equivalent to the Papacy, and the Hierarchy are not found in Islaam, Hinduism, or Buddhism. Islam has Imams but no ordination, clergy, or hierarchy.

Some Protestant denominations have something similar but those denominations aren't surviving. Anglicans have majorly compromised on what they used to teach about faith and morals.

Catholicism is an institution. Buddhism is a philosophy, and Hinduism is not an institution with a governing body, with a head. Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and nearly all Protestant Denominations have no authoritative interpreter of their Scriptures.

The Catholic Church has a Magisterium (teaching) authority that dates back to the first Century and settles disputes on Faith, Morales, Scriptural interpretation, and Theology. No other Religion that I know of has that.
Split hairs much? None of this makes any difference. An institution might make a religion stronger, but in the age of the internet and readily available information as well as science, it too will fall. It already is falling as more and more people are leaving. By the way, I used to be Catholic myself. I'm now happily part of its downfall.

Are you or are you not an atheist? For someone who seems to have so much problem with Jesus, you sure do seem to be spending an awful lot of time defending Catholicism.

28-07-2014, 04:17 PM
That is precisely because I had such an attachment to Catholicism for the six years that I was Catholic. I read Church History, the Catechism, Catholic Encyclopedias, and it was the most precious and interesting thing to me.

I'm still intrigued by Catholicism and the wisdom of the Saints and the prophesies that have come true and what it is that gave the martyrs so much strength, and all the conspiracies about who founded the Catholic Church, and the Marian Apparitions....etc.

So I'm not saying I know more about Catholicism than you, but I know more about Catholicism than anything else I've studied so I'm sharing what I know about something that was extremely precious to me and was the treasure of my heart from the age of 20 to the age of 27.

I'm not an atheist. I'm someone who will ask a person of any faith to pray for me and I will listen to their testimony and whatever wisdom they have to offer. If they speak from the heart, I'm interested. I believe there is power in prayer and believe that human beings are spiritual people.

I have a repugnance for Religion and no longer agree with the Catholic Church, but still am interested in the topic.
28-07-2014, 04:24 PM
So you're a deist then?

28-07-2014, 04:44 PM (This post was last modified: 28-07-2014 04:47 PM by Wicked Clown.)
(28-07-2014 04:24 PM)Impulse Wrote:  So you're a deist then?
If there is a such thing as a Deist/Agnostic/HereticCatholic, that's kind of where I'm at.

The title of this thread should have been ask a FALLEN AWAY Catholic.

I loathe much of what is in the Bible and all these fundies and evangelicals that point out a verse of Scripture and use it to bash other people including Christians.

The Bible has so much bullshit and ludicrous crap, and so many contradictions, and so many verses that lead people to opposite opinions and beliefs, I just despise nothing more than people of the book.

If you read the Catechism or the teachings of the Church Magisterium, it makes way WAY more sense than the Bible. Since Catholicism is not a Religion of the book and because Fundies think Catholicism is the Whore of Babylon and the Pope will be the Antichrist, I absolutely love to defend Catholicism when I meet them.
Laugh out load
28-07-2014, 06:24 PM
(28-07-2014 04:44 PM)Wicked Clown Wrote:  
(28-07-2014 04:24 PM)Impulse Wrote:  So you're a deist then?
If there is a such thing as a Deist/Agnostic/HereticCatholic, that's kind of where I'm at.

I loathe much of what is in the Bible and all these fundies and evangelicals that point out a verse of Scripture and use it to bash other people including Christians.

The Bible has so much bullshit and ludicrous crap, and so many contradictions, and so many verses that lead people to opposite opinions and beliefs, I just despise nothing more than people of the book.

If you read the Catechism or the teachings of the Church Magisterium, it makes way WAY more sense than the Bible. Since Catholicism is not a Religion of the book and because Fundies think Catholicism is the Whore of Babylon and the Pope will be the Antichrist, I absolutely love to defend Catholicism when I meet them.
Laugh out load

You argue obliquely and that is not necessarily a bad thing.
You will find that many people love to argue in black and white; no middle ground.
Some look at 'nuancing' as some sort of disease. Epistemology needs to be open and not entirely logically self assured. In the cosmos there may be other reasoning phenomena.
The fact that you haven't been abused or denigrated too much may suggest that you are travelling rather well...............Carry on!
28-07-2014, 06:27 PM
(28-07-2014 06:24 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  
(28-07-2014 04:44 PM)Wicked Clown Wrote:  If there is a such thing as a Deist/Agnostic/HereticCatholic, that's kind of where I'm at.

Laugh out load

You argue obliquely and that is not necessarily a bad thing.
You will find that many people love to argue in black and white; no middle ground.
Some look at 'nuancing' as some sort of disease. Epistemology needs to be open and not entirely logically self assured. In the cosmos there may be other reasoning phenomena.
The fact that you haven't been abused or denigrated too much may suggest that you are travelling rather well...............Carry on!

P.s. I did my AA 5th step with an old catholic priest who liked Hinduism.