Ask A Fomer Fudamentalist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-12-2013, 01:26 PM (This post was last modified: 31-12-2013 02:30 PM by anonymous66.)
RE: Ask A Fomer Fudamentalist
(31-12-2013 01:20 PM)TheBear Wrote:  Were you a True Christian?

I suppose it depends on what you mean by "True Christian". I really believed. I tried to follow what I understood to be God's teachings. The most important being "love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your mind, all your soul, and all your strength". I tried to live my life in a way I thought would be pleasing to God. When I witnessed, I tried to explain to people that God loved them.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-12-2013, 01:31 PM
What opened the door to skepticism for you? How would you classify yourself now?
[+] 3 users Like TwoCultSurvivor's post
31-12-2013, 01:32 PM
(31-12-2013 01:26 PM)anonymous66 Wrote:  
(31-12-2013 01:20 PM)TheBear Wrote:  Were you a True Christian?

I suppose it depends on what you mean by "True Christian". I really believed. I tried to follow what I understood to be God's teachings. The most important being "love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your mind, and all your strength". I tried to live my life in a way I thought would be pleasing to God. When I witnessed, I tried to explain to people that God loved them.

The reason I ask is because most fundamentalists will tell you that no "True Christian" ever leaves the faith. What do you say to those fundamentalists?
31-12-2013, 01:47 PM
Did you ever cry yourself to sleep at night because your bible made you feel like you were going to hell for not giving away all your stuff to the poor, not evangelizing enough etc?

I know I did....
31-12-2013, 01:48 PM (This post was last modified: 31-12-2013 02:48 PM by anonymous66.)
(31-12-2013 01:32 PM)TheBear Wrote:  
(31-12-2013 01:26 PM)anonymous66 Wrote:  I suppose it depends on what you mean by "True Christian". I really believed. I tried to follow what I understood to be God's teachings. The most important being "love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your mind, and all your strength". I tried to live my life in a way I thought would be pleasing to God. When I witnessed, I tried to explain to people that God loved them.

The reason I ask is because most fundamentalists will tell you that no "True Christian" ever leaves the faith. What do you say to those fundamentalists?

I'm aware of the calvinistic arguments. It's not much of an argument, but rather an interpretation. I'd ask them why they believe in God in the first place, why they believe the Bible to be God's word, and then why their interpretation should be considered better than that of anyone else.

Edit: The fact that Christians can't even agree on an important doctrine like whether or not you can lose your salvation is just more evidence that there is no all-knowing deity behind the Bible in the first place.
31-12-2013, 01:56 PM (This post was last modified: 31-12-2013 05:52 PM by anonymous66.)
(31-12-2013 01:31 PM)TwoCultSurvivor Wrote:  What opened the door to skepticism for you? How would you classify yourself now?

I'm an atheist.

I just read as much as I could by authors that interested me. I studied the Bible and was as honest as possible about what I found. In reading the Bible and talking with other Christians, I decided that God wanted us to be honest above all else. I decided I was ready to follow the truth no matter where it led me.

I think Philip Yancey may have started me on the road.... I read just about everything of his I could get my hands on. I was also influenced by Scott Peck. Funny that those two led me down the road of skepticism, because they are both Christians (Scott Peck died several years ago).

I also read Josh McDowell and Lee Stroebel.... Christian apologetics left me unimpressed.

and I was very interested in what other Christians of other denominations believed, and why they believed what they believed.
[+] 1 user Likes anonymous66's post
31-12-2013, 02:02 PM
(31-12-2013 01:15 PM)anonymous66 Wrote:  
(31-12-2013 01:07 PM)djkamilo Wrote:  Were you calvinistic? Anabaptist?

What was the take on the sacraments?

Definitely calvinistic. There were entire sermons on the veracity of the calvinistic interpretation of scripture. Those that believed you could lose your salvation were openly mocked.

There was never any mention of the sacraments, per se. I believe that is a catholic doctrine, and our church was profoundly anti-Catholic.

The thing is Calvin and the Reformed confesions mention and hold on to the term "sacrament" but apply it to only baptism and communion, the folks who didnt like the term were the puritans and the baptists in England.
I think your church was of the puritan stream and might have called them "ordinances".
When I ask what the take was on them, I mean to say:
for baptism and communion, were they symbolic (as for the Baptists) or pneumatic (as for the Reformed and Presbyterians)?

“The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is because vampires are allergic to bullshit.” ― Richard Pryor
31-12-2013, 02:03 PM
(31-12-2013 01:47 PM)crazylikeyou Wrote:  Did you ever cry yourself to sleep at night because your bible made you feel like you were going to hell for not giving away all your stuff to the poor, not evangelizing enough etc?

I know I did....

No. that wasn't my experience. I never thought I might go to hell because of anything I might do or not do. We were strong Calvinists. We were taught that some people were saved, and others weren't. You were either saved and going to heaven, or lost and going to hell. Only God knew who was who.
31-12-2013, 02:13 PM (This post was last modified: 31-12-2013 02:26 PM by anonymous66.)
(31-12-2013 02:02 PM)djkamilo Wrote:  
(31-12-2013 01:15 PM)anonymous66 Wrote:  Definitely calvinistic. There were entire sermons on the veracity of the calvinistic interpretation of scripture. Those that believed you could lose your salvation were openly mocked.

There was never any mention of the sacraments, per se. I believe that is a catholic doctrine, and our church was profoundly anti-Catholic.

The thing is Calvin and the Reformed confesions mention and hold on to the term "sacrament" but apply it to only baptism and communion, the folks who didnt like the term were the puritans and the baptists in England.
I think your church was of the puritan stream and might have called them "ordinances".
When I ask what the take was on them, I mean to say:
for baptism and communion, were they symbolic (as for the Baptists) or pneumatic (as for the Reformed and Presbyterians)?

I don't remember anyone using terms like sacrament or ordinances. And I'm not sure what you mean by symbolic vs pneumatic. Our church had no pastor... the leaders were all lay-leaders. It was understood that no one went to college to learn theology. The scriptures were plain enough to understand, so no special training was needed.

I was taught that baptism was just part of professing to be a Christian. We took baptism seriously and only baptized people who knew what it meant. I was interviewed when I was 13 years old and it was determined I knew enough to be baptized. It was full immersion. We preached against sprinkling and baptizing infants.

I don't believe we used the word "communion" either. We had a Lord's Supper meeting every sunday and it was very important to use one loaf and one cup of wine.

You'll have to check out the wikipedia article for Plymouth Brethren, it appears to be accurate. We were an Exclusive Brethren group... not an Open Brethren group.
[+] 1 user Likes anonymous66's post
31-12-2013, 02:32 PM
Thanks anonymous!

“The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is because vampires are allergic to bullshit.” ― Richard Pryor