Ask An Ex-Catholic/Buddhist/Ninja/Biblical Scholar!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-02-2012, 06:27 AM (This post was last modified: 06-02-2012 06:36 AM by Reactor.)
RE: Ask A Catholic!
Ehm I can't see how my post is offensive. I never implied that he is delusional or stupid. In fact i think he is really open minded for a believer. Would it help if I'd thrown some smilies in? Angel Tongue Big Grin Wink Idea Heart
I know that IQ is not really objective neither a good indicator, but it can give me a general idea about his intellectual level. I really can't see where is the problem with my question.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-02-2012, 11:09 AM
So, this will come as no surprise to many of you. Yesterday I lost my faith completely and realized I was an atheist. I came to the conclusion that although I feel my instinct to be generally reliable, I needed something more than a strong feeling to base a belief in god on, as at least one of you have suggested. Once I realized that we have no found any evidence for the supernatural, well everything crumbled like a house of cards. I do however believe it possible for us to find evidence in the future, and so remain open minded that we could find god in the future and that it might exist. In the end I couldn't base my life on a theory. My position now appears to be one of "weak" atheist agnosticism: I don't believe there to be a god, but I don't know if one exists or not objectively.

That being said I can't call myself a christian either anymore, although I still hold to Jesus' moral teachings for the most part. I did however realzie that I couldn't not be spiritual. So I did some investigating, and once I realized that I didn't have to believe in reincarnation or the traditional view of karma (although I do believe that thngs come back to haunt you and bite you in the ass. Call it karma if you want), I've decided to give Buddhism and the more "spiritual" side of Ninjutsu (which I practice as a martial art) a try, which for the most part is learning to get past people's masks that they put up and see things as they really are. That and honing your instinct/danger sense to a high level of proficiency. There's more to it than that I know, but the two are linked and do not require me to believe in a deity. Also, I miss the peace and calm that i got from prayer and meditation. I think this will help fill that gap in my life.

That being said, I feel incredibly alone and afraid, not having a god there to talk to anymore. But part of Buddhism is to accept that life is suffering, to prepare yourself for this, accept this, and move on. I think this will help me deal with my fear of death, which os why I was clinging to the idea of an afterlife.

Okay, I'm waiting for the "I told you so"s now. Smile

Oh did I mention I feel happy?
[+] 5 users Like Nagoda's post
06-02-2012, 11:11 AM
Welp...

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 2 users Like kingschosen's post
06-02-2012, 11:29 AM
(06-02-2012 11:09 AM)Nagoda Wrote:  So, this will come as no surprise to many of you. Yesterday I lost my faith completely and realized I was an atheist. I came to the conclusion that although I feel my instinct to be generally reliable, I needed something more than a strong feeling to base a belief in god on, as at least one of you have suggested. Once I realized that we have no found any evidence for the supernatural, well everything crumbled like a house of cards. I do however believe it possible for us to find evidence in the future, and so remain open minded that we could find god in the future and that it might exist. In the end I couldn't base my life on a theory. My position now appears to be one of "weak" atheist agnosticism: I don't believe there to be a god, but I don't know if one exists or not objectively.

That being said I can't call myself a christian either anymore, although I still hold to Jesus' moral teachings for the most part. I did however realzie that I couldn't not be spiritual. So I did some investigating, and once I realized that I didn't have to believe in reincarnation or the traditional view of karma (although I do believe that thngs come back to haunt you and bite you in the ass. Call it karma if you want), I've decided to give Buddhism and the more "spiritual" side of Ninjutsu (which I practice as a martial art) a try, which for the most part is learning to get past people's masks that they put up and see things as they really are. That and honing your instinct/danger sense to a high level of proficiency. There's more to it than that I know, but the two are linked and do not require me to believe in a deity. Also, I miss the peace and calm that i got from prayer and meditation. I think this will help fill that gap in my life.

That being said, I feel incredibly alone and afraid, not having a god there to talk to anymore. But part of Buddhism is to accept that life is suffering, to prepare yourself for this, accept this, and move on. I think this will help me deal with my fear of death, which os why I was clinging to the idea of an afterlife.

Okay, I'm waiting for the "I told you so"s now. Smile

Oh did I mention I feel happy?

Good for you mate! You are on your way! Big Grin
Note that you are NOT alone.
It is a normal feeling to feel that way at first. Maybe call it god withdrawal or whatever, but don't sweat it. It will pass.
The wonder and amazement of what the true story is will be more than enough to fill that small void.
Not to mention that there are plenty of good people here and on YouTube and elsewhere to meet. A new, more rational world is opening up for you.
There are more and more people like you wising up to religion every day around the world and that is truly fabulous!
Now a KC vs Nagoda thread will REALLY catch my eye.

It's all in your head, because there is no other place it could be.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-02-2012, 11:36 AM
I guess I'll just

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcToXFbKX6HDubxaPPRB9ME...5Duog-atAw]

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 3 users Like kingschosen's post
06-02-2012, 11:44 AM
Or just wise up and get with the program.
Really, you'll like it.

It's all in your head, because there is no other place it could be.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes TalladegaTom's post
06-02-2012, 11:56 AM
(06-02-2012 11:44 AM)TalladegaTom Wrote:  Or just wise up and get with the program.
Really, you'll like it.

Tom, that's his choice. He has to find out for himself whether or not its true, and prostelytizing to him won't help. Let him be.
[+] 2 users Like Nagoda's post
06-02-2012, 12:01 PM
(06-02-2012 11:56 AM)Nagoda Wrote:  
(06-02-2012 11:44 AM)TalladegaTom Wrote:  Or just wise up and get with the program.
Really, you'll like it.

Tom, that's his choice. He has to find out for himself whether or not its true, and prostelytizing to him won't help. Let him be.

Already acting like a true Buddhist. Good for you. Smile

No need for any "We told you so's." TT said it well, you're not alone. You'll find your way as many of us have and still are finding our way.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
06-02-2012, 12:22 PM
(06-02-2012 11:09 AM)Nagoda Wrote:  So, this will come as no surprise to many of you. Yesterday I lost my faith completely and realized I was an atheist.

Is this a joke or are you sincere? I don't know about everyone else but it's a surprise to me. If you are sincere then welcome to reality.

(06-02-2012 11:09 AM)Nagoda Wrote:  Once I realized that we have no found any evidence for the supernatural, well everything crumbled like a house of cards.

What led you to realize this?

(06-02-2012 11:09 AM)Nagoda Wrote:  I do however believe it possible for us to find evidence in the future, and so remain open minded that we could find god in the future and that it might exist.

We may, in the future, find that there is a being(s) far more advanced or powerful than us in the universe, but it won't be that asshole in the bible.

(06-02-2012 11:09 AM)Nagoda Wrote:  That being said I can't call myself a christian either anymore, although I still hold to Jesus' moral teachings for the most part.

Yes you can still appreciate jesus as a philosopher, or the writings attributed to jesus. The atheist union also permits you to continue to enjoy Christmas. And remember, keep Christ in Christmas, because Christmas without Christ is just "mas", and that's no fun.

(06-02-2012 11:09 AM)Nagoda Wrote:  That being said, I feel incredibly alone and afraid, not having a god there to talk to anymore.

You haven't lost anything, and the clarity you've gained will help you to lead a more meaningful life, so start the party!
06-02-2012, 12:24 PM
(06-02-2012 12:22 PM)Jeff Wrote:  
(06-02-2012 11:09 AM)Nagoda Wrote:  So, this will come as no surprise to many of you. Yesterday I lost my faith completely and realized I was an atheist.

Is this a joke or are you sincere? I don't know about everyone else but it's a surprise to me. If you are sincere then welcome to reality.

Nagoda came to the forum announcing he was on the fence so it comes as little surprise, and I don't believe it to be a joke, but then again, how can I really know?

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel