Ask An Ex-Catholic/Buddhist/Ninja/Biblical Scholar!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-02-2012, 12:59 PM (This post was last modified: 06-02-2012 01:05 PM by Nagoda.)
RE: Ask A Catholic!
Is this a joke or are you sincere? I don't know about everyone else but it's a surprise to me. If you are sincere then welcome to reality.

I am absolutely sincere, as our greek friend said, I've been fence sitting for a while now. Although as mentioned above, I am agnostic in addition to being atheist.

What led you to realize this?

The simple fact that God is a theory. Yes it is theoretically possible, but so is a multiverse, and we havent demonstrated proof of that either. In the end I realized that the reason atheists don't believe is because they haven't found anything that resembles a god to believe in. I don't believe not because science has disproven the existence of god, I would still argue that it hasn't, but because it hasn't found proof for one at all. We have no evidence for one, and if we have no evidence for one currently, that gives me no good reason to subscribe to the theory that there is one. I am simply going by what I know, and I didn't want to base my life around theories and what ifs that have no way of curently being proven with our current technology. That being said, just because we haven't found evidence for one doesn't mean that there is no god, hence why I'm also an agnostic.

I am embarking on Buddhism to see whether or not enlightenment exists. I half wonder if it is something akin to syncing up your electromagnetic frequencies to the frequencies everything else in the world. Perhaps this is what's meant by becoming "one" or "in tune" with the universe. I have no idea if this is possible, or if the brain is capable. but the only way to test a hypothesis is to try and see. It seems more plausible to me than believing in a guy who ressurects three days later as a human-spirit hybrid who can walk through walls but still needs to eat. If I find anything, I'll let you guys know.

We may, in the future, find that there is a being(s) far more advanced or powerful than us in the universe, but it won't be that asshole in the bible.

How do you know that for certain? If there is something that resembles our notions of a god, there is nothing preventing it from being malevolent or sadistic. I would hope that it's nice, but there's no way of knowing until we come across something.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Nagoda's post
06-02-2012, 01:12 PM
(06-02-2012 11:09 AM)Nagoda Wrote:  Okay, I'm waiting for the "I told you so"s now. Smile

Nobody wants to be "that guy".

If you really came to atheism, that's great! It can happen --- I was also a Christian until I was about 20, but I hit the critical ratio of doubts:certainties and realized that I was defending far too many propositions with bad logic, denial, and rationalizing.

I'm also happy to be an atheist. I think that I could be happy as a theist again, but not with what I know now... I'd have to have new and very strong evidence for it, because I can't go back to arguing that faith is all that's necessary. I need evidence to support my beliefs, whether they are religious-driven or otherwise.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Starcrash's post
06-02-2012, 01:14 PM
RE: Ask An Ex-Catholic/Buddhist/Ninja/Biblical Scholar!
Hehe...nice title change. Smile

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
06-02-2012, 01:22 PM
Well. I'm kind of sad. I was gonna talk about the proto-gnostic Mithraic depiction of Cronos and it's relation to the depiction of Yaldadbaoth as a lion which was also the representation of the Sun as it related to creation in earlier systems. Fuck. Undecided

Oh well; luckily Kingsy is still a kook. Wink

It feels pretty good to have the burden of someone else's theory lifted from deciding the responsibilities of your life, doesn't it?

As a little gift -a sort of christening... uh... rebirth... uh... Dodgy
Never mind -I'll just leave you with a couple of quotes I like to think on... they might be important for you or not; I really don't care. Shy

Wherever you go, there you are. ~ Buckaroo Banzai

This is it. ~ Alan Watts

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
06-02-2012, 01:24 PM
(06-02-2012 01:22 PM)kim Wrote:  Well. I'm kind of sad. I was gonna talk about the proto-gnostic Mithraic depiction of Cronos and it's relation to the depiction of Yaldadbaoth as a lion which was also the representation of the Sun as it related to creation in earlier systems. Fuck. Undecided

Oh well; luckily Kingsy is still a kook. Wink

It feels pretty good to have the burden of someone else's theory lifted from deciding the responsibilities of your life, doesn't it?

As a little gift -a sort of christening... uh... rebirth... uh... Dodgy
Never mind -I'll just leave you with a couple of quotes I like to think on... they might be important for you or not; I really don't care. Shy

Wherever you go, there you are. ~ Buckaroo Banzai

This is it. ~ Alan Watts

No, no please! Talk about Yaldy and Cronos! I love Gnosticism it fascinates me!!
06-02-2012, 01:39 PM
Nagoda...

Shit man. I feel for you. Take it easy. It's incredible that you have this sudden realization... there will be doubts and fears associated with it. It's a great thing to be honest with yourself - that's the major feeling I remember from when I finally decided to pack it in with religion... It'll take a long time to deal with everything though so... I don't know. That's a hard hard thing to have done and we're proud of you Smile Proud of you for having the ability to change your mind and to decide what you think is truth with honesty, not necessarily for becoming an atheist... I'm kinda waffling but... what I mean is, from now you don't have anything to tell you what's right, what's true. No book, no tradition. Just some experiences and ideas from other guys which might or might not be applicable. You have to decide.

Welcome to the scary wonderful world Smile

PS Fuck. Now you'll never be the ninja ass-whuppin priest anime character Sad I am disappoint. Although ninja ass-whuppin ex-priest is almost as good. Yes, yes I see potential Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
06-02-2012, 01:47 PM
(06-02-2012 01:39 PM)morondog Wrote:  Nagoda...

Shit man. I feel for you. Take it easy. It's incredible that you have this sudden realization... there will be doubts and fears associated with it. It's a great thing to be honest with yourself - that's the major feeling I remember from when I finally decided to pack it in with religion... It'll take a long time to deal with everything though so... I don't know. That's a hard hard thing to have done and we're proud of you Smile Proud of you for having the ability to change your mind and to decide what you think is truth with honesty, not necessarily for becoming an atheist... I'm kinda waffling but... what I mean is, from now you don't have anything to tell you what's right, what's true. No book, no tradition. Just some experiences and ideas from other guys which might or might not be applicable. You have to decide.

Welcome to the scary wonderful world Smile

PS Fuck. Now you'll never be the ninja ass-whuppin priest anime character Sad I am disappoint. Although ninja ass-whuppin ex-priest is almost as good. Yes, yes I see potential Big Grin

Moron how many times do I have to tell ya? I was never a priest to begin with, just a regular lay person! However If I ever get my PHD in Near eastern Studies like I plan to and get a teaching job, I will one day be an ass whooping Ninja Professor! This is still awesome! Have hope Big Grin

And yeah, I gotta figure things out on my own. Although mind you, still did that when I was a theist. Never believed blindly, or at least I thought I didn't, and I felt I was making my own decisions. Now I see I believed mostly on what some would call blind faith, still I never did something because someone else said I had to. I did make an effort to make up my own mind, no matter how badly I might have failed. In this regard, not much seems to have changed.
[+] 1 user Likes Nagoda's post
06-02-2012, 02:04 PM
(06-02-2012 01:47 PM)Nagoda Wrote:  
(06-02-2012 01:39 PM)morondog Wrote:  PS Fuck. Now you'll never be the ninja ass-whuppin priest anime character Sad I am disappoint. Although ninja ass-whuppin ex-priest is almost as good. Yes, yes I see potential Big Grin

Moron how many times do I have to tell ya? I was never a priest to begin with, just a regular lay person! However If I ever get my PHD in Near eastern Studies like I plan to and get a teaching job, I will one day be an ass whooping Ninja Professor! This is still awesome! Have hope Big Grin

Woo Smile Fuck yeah. Ninja prof will have SILENCE in class Tongue
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
06-02-2012, 02:11 PM
[Image: have-you-seen-him-28711-1290652837-41.jpg]

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 5 users Like kingschosen's post
06-02-2012, 04:32 PM
(06-02-2012 11:09 AM)Nagoda Wrote:  So, this will come as no surprise to many of you. Yesterday I lost my faith completely and realized I was an atheist. I came to the conclusion that although I feel my instinct to be generally reliable, I needed something more than a strong feeling to base a belief in god on, as at least one of you have suggested. Once I realized that we have no found any evidence for the supernatural, well everything crumbled like a house of cards. I do however believe it possible for us to find evidence in the future, and so remain open minded that we could find god in the future and that it might exist. In the end I couldn't base my life on a theory. My position now appears to be one of "weak" atheist agnosticism: I don't believe there to be a god, but I don't know if one exists or not objectively.

That being said I can't call myself a christian either anymore, although I still hold to Jesus' moral teachings for the most part. I did however realzie that I couldn't not be spiritual. So I did some investigating, and once I realized that I didn't have to believe in reincarnation or the traditional view of karma (although I do believe that thngs come back to haunt you and bite you in the ass. Call it karma if you want), I've decided to give Buddhism and the more "spiritual" side of Ninjutsu (which I practice as a martial art) a try, which for the most part is learning to get past people's masks that they put up and see things as they really are. That and honing your instinct/danger sense to a high level of proficiency. There's more to it than that I know, but the two are linked and do not require me to believe in a deity. Also, I miss the peace and calm that i got from prayer and meditation. I think this will help fill that gap in my life.

That being said, I feel incredibly alone and afraid, not having a god there to talk to anymore. But part of Buddhism is to accept that life is suffering, to prepare yourself for this, accept this, and move on. I think this will help me deal with my fear of death, which os why I was clinging to the idea of an afterlife.

Okay, I'm waiting for the "I told you so"s now. Smile

Oh did I mention I feel happy?

"Told you so?" How about congratulations! Tongue

You're now completely free to form your own opinions about the world without fear! Big Grin