Ask An Ex-Catholic/Buddhist/Ninja/Biblical Scholar!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-02-2012, 04:45 PM
RE: Ask A Catholic!
(06-02-2012 04:32 PM)Ben Wrote:  
(06-02-2012 11:09 AM)Nagoda Wrote:  So, this will come as no surprise to many of you. Yesterday I lost my faith completely and realized I was an atheist. I came to the conclusion that although I feel my instinct to be generally reliable, I needed something more than a strong feeling to base a belief in god on, as at least one of you have suggested. Once I realized that we have no found any evidence for the supernatural, well everything crumbled like a house of cards. I do however believe it possible for us to find evidence in the future, and so remain open minded that we could find god in the future and that it might exist. In the end I couldn't base my life on a theory. My position now appears to be one of "weak" atheist agnosticism: I don't believe there to be a god, but I don't know if one exists or not objectively.

That being said I can't call myself a christian either anymore, although I still hold to Jesus' moral teachings for the most part. I did however realzie that I couldn't not be spiritual. So I did some investigating, and once I realized that I didn't have to believe in reincarnation or the traditional view of karma (although I do believe that thngs come back to haunt you and bite you in the ass. Call it karma if you want), I've decided to give Buddhism and the more "spiritual" side of Ninjutsu (which I practice as a martial art) a try, which for the most part is learning to get past people's masks that they put up and see things as they really are. That and honing your instinct/danger sense to a high level of proficiency. There's more to it than that I know, but the two are linked and do not require me to believe in a deity. Also, I miss the peace and calm that i got from prayer and meditation. I think this will help fill that gap in my life.

That being said, I feel incredibly alone and afraid, not having a god there to talk to anymore. But part of Buddhism is to accept that life is suffering, to prepare yourself for this, accept this, and move on. I think this will help me deal with my fear of death, which os why I was clinging to the idea of an afterlife.

Okay, I'm waiting for the "I told you so"s now. Smile

Oh did I mention I feel happy?

"Told you so?" How about congratulations! Tongue

You're now completely free to form your own opinions about the world without fear! Big Grin

Not quite. I still haven't told my ultra catholic folks whom I live with that I'm an atheist and that I'm not marrying my fiance in the Catholic church or raising our kids catholic. When my mom found out I broke the taboo of no premarital sex earlier in the year she freaked and accused me of selling my soul to the devil and nailing Jesus to the cross again. Then she accused my girl of leading me astray and called her a tramp.

You can imagine how well this is gonna go...
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-02-2012, 04:46 PM
(06-02-2012 04:45 PM)Nagoda Wrote:  Not quite. I still haven't told my ultra catholic folks whom I live with that I'm an atheist and that I'm not marrying my fiance in the Catholic church or raising our kids catholic. When my mom found out I broke the taboo of no premarital sex earlier in the year she freaked and accused me of selling my soul to the devil and nailing Jesus to the cross again. Then she accused my girl of leading me astray and called her a tramp.

How does she feel about you being bisexual?

[Image: vjp09.gif]
06-02-2012, 04:47 PM
(06-02-2012 04:45 PM)Nagoda Wrote:  
(06-02-2012 11:09 AM)Nagoda Wrote:  So, this will come as no surprise to many of you. Yesterday I lost my faith completely and realized I was an atheist. I came to the conclusion that although I feel my instinct to be generally reliable, I needed something more than a strong feeling to base a belief in god on, as at least one of you have suggested. Once I realized that we have no found any evidence for the supernatural, well everything crumbled like a house of cards. I do however believe it possible for us to find evidence in the future, and so remain open minded that we could find god in the future and that it might exist. In the end I couldn't base my life on a theory. My position now appears to be one of "weak" atheist agnosticism: I don't believe there to be a god, but I don't know if one exists or not objectively.

That being said I can't call myself a christian either anymore, although I still hold to Jesus' moral teachings for the most part. I did however realzie that I couldn't not be spiritual. So I did some investigating, and once I realized that I didn't have to believe in reincarnation or the traditional view of karma (although I do believe that thngs come back to haunt you and bite you in the ass. Call it karma if you want), I've decided to give Buddhism and the more "spiritual" side of Ninjutsu (which I practice as a martial art) a try, which for the most part is learning to get past people's masks that they put up and see things as they really are. That and honing your instinct/danger sense to a high level of proficiency. There's more to it than that I know, but the two are linked and do not require me to believe in a deity. Also, I miss the peace and calm that i got from prayer and meditation. I think this will help fill that gap in my life.

That being said, I feel incredibly alone and afraid, not having a god there to talk to anymore. But part of Buddhism is to accept that life is suffering, to prepare yourself for this, accept this, and move on. I think this will help me deal with my fear of death, which os why I was clinging to the idea of an afterlife.

You're now completely free to form your own opinions about the world without fear! Big Grin

Not quite. I still haven't told my ultra catholic folks whom I live with that I'm an atheist and that I'm not marrying my fiance in the Catholic church or raising our kids catholic. When my mom found out I broke the taboo of no premarital sex earlier in the year she freaked and accused me of selling my soul to the devil and nailing Jesus to the cross again. Then she accused my girl of leading me astray and called her a tramp.

Ahh, good point. No fear of eternal punishment, at least. Tongue
06-02-2012, 04:59 PM (This post was last modified: 06-02-2012 05:01 PM by Nagoda.)
(06-02-2012 04:46 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(06-02-2012 04:45 PM)Nagoda Wrote:  Not quite. I still haven't told my ultra catholic folks whom I live with that I'm an atheist and that I'm not marrying my fiance in the Catholic church or raising our kids catholic. When my mom found out I broke the taboo of no premarital sex earlier in the year she freaked and accused me of selling my soul to the devil and nailing Jesus to the cross again. Then she accused my girl of leading me astray and called her a tramp.

How does she feel about you being bisexual?

Oh THAT. Man that wasn't pretty either. I came out to my folks when I was 19. Got kicked out of the house, stayed with my best friend and his family for a week, slept on his couch. Eventually my mom let me back in the house with the agreement of if I ever got a boyfriend they didn't want to know and I couldn't bring him home. Then about a year later I found the woman who will soon be my wife. My mother I think breathed a sigh of relief, religated the above incedent to the back of her mind, and forgot about the whole thing.
(06-02-2012 04:47 PM)Ben Wrote:  
(06-02-2012 04:45 PM)Nagoda Wrote:  

Ahh, good point. No fear of eternal punishment, at least. Tongue

No, but I'm sure I won't stop hearing about it.
[+] 1 user Likes Nagoda's post
06-02-2012, 09:30 PM
(06-02-2012 11:09 AM)Nagoda Wrote:  So, this will come as no surprise to many of you. Yesterday I lost my faith completely and realized I was an atheist.

My original post to you is as follows. If I remember you were very upset that I challenged you this abruptly:

My assumption is that you are here for one of two reasons:

1. You have serious doubts about your faith, but if you can defend it against some quite talented atheists you will convince yourself that the faith is viable and worth sticking to.

2. You have logically lost your faith, but emotionally you are still hanging in there. Getting atheists to beat the remaining emotional ties out of you is your next step in the progress to free thinking. Sort of like suicide by cop.

I believe you will get what you need here.

It appears that you did get what you needed.
I would guess option two happened which we will coin "belief suicide by atheist"

Glad to be of service. Welcome aboard.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
06-02-2012, 09:39 PM
(06-02-2012 09:30 PM)Thomas Wrote:  
(06-02-2012 11:09 AM)Nagoda Wrote:  So, this will come as no surprise to many of you. Yesterday I lost my faith completely and realized I was an atheist.

My original post to you is as follows. If I remember you were very upset that I challenged you this abruptly:

1. You have serious doubts about your faith, but if you can defend it against some quite talented atheists you will convince yourself that the faith is viable and worth sticking to.

2. You have logically lost your faith, but emotionally you are still hanging in there. Getting atheists to beat the remaining emotional ties out of you is your next step in the progress to free thinking. Sort of like suicide by cop.

I would guess option two happened which we will coin "belief suicide by atheist"

Cheeky bastard!!! Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes Nagoda's post
07-02-2012, 10:30 AM
(06-02-2012 04:59 PM)Nagoda Wrote:  Not quite. I still haven't told my ultra catholic folks whom I live with that I'm an atheist and that I'm not marrying my fiance in the Catholic church or raising our kids catholic. When my mom found out I broke the taboo of no premarital sex earlier in the year she freaked and accused me of selling my soul to the devil and nailing Jesus to the cross again. Then she accused my girl of leading me astray and called her a tramp.

Quote:Ahh, good point. No fear of eternal punishment, at least. Tongue

Quote:No, but I'm sure I won't stop hearing about it.

It won't be eternal, but it might feel that way. Big Grin

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-02-2012, 11:28 AM
(06-02-2012 09:39 PM)Nagoda Wrote:  

Cheeky bastard!!! Tongue

Hey look! You finally got an "I told you so!"
Big Grin

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
07-02-2012, 12:56 PM
(07-02-2012 11:28 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(06-02-2012 09:39 PM)Nagoda Wrote:  

Cheeky bastard!!! Tongue

Hey look! You finally got an "I told you so!"
Big Grin

HA!!!!!!
07-02-2012, 05:44 PM
(07-02-2012 10:30 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(06-02-2012 04:59 PM)Nagoda Wrote:  Not quite. I still haven't told my ultra catholic folks whom I live with that I'm an atheist and that I'm not marrying my fiance in the Catholic church or raising our kids catholic. When my mom found out I broke the taboo of no premarital sex earlier in the year she freaked and accused me of selling my soul to the devil and nailing Jesus to the cross again. Then she accused my girl of leading me astray and called her a tramp.

Quote:Ahh, good point. No fear of eternal punishment, at least. Tongue

Quote:No, but I'm sure I won't stop hearing about it.

It won't be eternal, but it might feel that way. Big Grin

Yup. Atheism has its difficulties in our culture but I'm convinced it's the better way to live.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Ask A Catholic Wicked Clown 72 892 Yesterday 03:49 PM
Last Post: Grasshopper
  My Buddhist Roommate Laid The Smackdown On A Christian Conservative Nut! WindyCityJazz 6 219 20-07-2014 11:00 AM
Last Post: therealJim
  And the hits keep on coming from the Catholic church. Revenant77x 21 495 11-06-2014 06:23 PM
Last Post: rampant.a.i.
  The Catholic/Christian Disparity Free Thought 73 1,312 31-05-2014 11:06 AM
Last Post: Bible Belt Brawler
  Catholic Rosary Service Archipater 31 623 16-05-2014 10:53 PM
Last Post: Shadow Fox
  An intellectual discussion on the RCC or Ripping Catholic dogmas a new one Full Circle 40 669 22-04-2014 09:18 PM
Last Post: Banjo
  Critique of Buddhism (from a former scholar of Buddhism) Freelance ExBuddhist 7 190 22-04-2014 06:41 PM
Last Post: Bible Belt Brawler