Ask TrueReason...Religious questions

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-08-2012, 02:29 PM
Ask TrueReason...Religious questions
The purpose of this thread is for those of you who might theological questions about Christianity or questions about Christian apologetics with regard to other religions. Answers I give will be pretty much open and shut, but if you feel that it is worthy of a deeper discussion, another thread can be opened to discuss the topic more deeply. I realize you have an ask a christian thread, but due to the response I've had on my introduction thread, I thought you might like to have a thread to ask questions specifically to me.

On a personal note I only ask that you are sincere and respectful in how you ask questions. If you're not, I probably won't waste my time responding.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like TrueReason's post
22-08-2012, 02:33 PM
RE: Ask TrueReason...Religious questions
Why do you personally believe Christianity is true? Do you have a personal epiphany story? Does God talk to you? Do you see God acting in your life?

These are nice questions to start you off Wink Tee hee Evil_monster
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
22-08-2012, 02:38 PM
Thanks for starting this TR. Good call.

My question is....

Why do you think there must be a cause for the universe, and can you accept that there may be no cause whatsoever? I'd like to discuss this with you in the absence of your assumed cause (god) and keep the discussion only to whether or not there has to be a cause at all.

Just visiting.

-SR
[+] 2 users Like Stark Raving's post
22-08-2012, 02:41 PM
Have you ever read the rebuttals of the arguments for your belief (i.e. cosmological argument, teological argument, argument from morality, etc.) and if so, why do you still consider them to be valid? Consider
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
22-08-2012, 02:46 PM
(22-08-2012 02:33 PM)morondog Wrote:  Why do you personally believe Christianity is true? Do you have a personal epiphany story? Does God talk to you? Do you see God acting in your life?

There are many reasons why I believe Christianty is true, but perhaps one of most convincing to me is the historical evidence for resurrection and the witness of the apostles. I see no gain for the apostles in spreading a lie which brought them no wealth or comfort or fame. Rather they became infamous, were made poor, and were martyred for claiming to have witness the resurrected Christ.
On a personal note, I have also seen the truth of the Gospel is a living truth in the home in which I group and in the lives of the people who took hold of the love of Christ.
[+] 1 user Likes TrueReason's post
22-08-2012, 02:48 PM
(22-08-2012 02:38 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Thanks for starting this TR. Good call.

My question is....

Why do you think there must be a cause for the universe, and can you accept that there may be no cause whatsoever? I'd like to discuss this with you in the absence of your assumed cause (god) and keep the discussion only to whether or not there has to be a cause at all.

Could we discuss this on another thread? Could you create one or direct me to one on which we could discuss, because I think my brevity on this thread would be unsatisfactory for this question.
22-08-2012, 02:54 PM
(22-08-2012 02:41 PM)Vosur Wrote:  Have you ever read the rebuttals of the arguments for your belief (i.e. cosmological argument, teological argument, argument from morality, etc.) and if so, why do you still consider them to be valid? Consider
Admittedly while attending school I haven't had much time for outside reading. My experience with these comes mostly from viewing debates and reading short articles about these topics. I did start reading some of the God Delusion a while ago, but it was online and find it hard to read online books for a long period of time Tongue I realize the value in reading the books from authors of differing opinions but the best I've been able to do at this point is collect what I've heard from my interactions with atheists and test their theories with my own reasoning abilities and examining the answers apologists have to offer. My goal is not to learn what to think, but really how to think, which revolves around asking the right questions. If I fail to ask them, I'm sure atheists will ask them, and thus I am here.
22-08-2012, 03:08 PM
(22-08-2012 02:46 PM)TrueReason Wrote:  
(22-08-2012 02:33 PM)morondog Wrote:  Why do you personally believe Christianity is true? Do you have a personal epiphany story? Does God talk to you? Do you see God acting in your life?

There are many reasons why I believe Christianty is true, but perhaps one of most convincing to me is the historical evidence for resurrection and the witness of the apostles. I see no gain for the apostles in spreading a lie which brought them no wealth or comfort or fame. Rather they became infamous, were made poor, and were martyred for claiming to have witness the resurrected Christ.

The gospels were written long after the the time of the alleged events by people who were not eyewitnesses. Why do you find them compelling?

Quote: On a personal note, I have also seen the truth of the Gospel is a living truth in the home in which I group and in the lives of the people who took hold of the love of Christ.

What does "the truth of the Gospel is a living truth" mean?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
22-08-2012, 03:16 PM
I was going to ask something similar to Chas, but I would ask are you saying the convincing information about historical evidence (etc) is just the bible, or are you meaning some other book?
22-08-2012, 03:17 PM
1) How do you reconcile the Ancient Near East cultures' shared mythology? More specifically, the Akkadian's King Adapa and The Epic of Gilgamesh?

2) How do you reconcile the many inaccuracies throughout the Creation Account and the Flood Account?

3) There is an over abundance of evidence for evolution as well as evidence for common ancestry. Why do you have a hard time accepting evolution as a plan of God?

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 2 users Like kingschosen's post