Ask TrueReason...Religious questions

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-08-2012, 11:10 AM
RE: Ask TrueReason...Religious questions
(23-08-2012 11:04 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(23-08-2012 10:36 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  I've actually asked myself this question before.

Why do we need the Bible?

Why did God choose this ambiguous, difficult to read, ancient book with multiple authors as His way to communicate with His elect? It surely doesn't seem like a "perfect" way... but again... I'm not infinite, so I don't know.

God chose the Bible as a way to reveal Himself to us so that we can learn, understand, and try to grasp the wholeness of His plan (which we never will).

And, you're right. Damnation and salvation can't be controlled, but I think the Bible is important to help the elect understand and accept this decision that God made.

Why would God need to reveal himself in the first place? What is the point of predestination if God knows all, is all, and can do all? If he controls all, why does he need to educate the "elect"?

The fact that you admit that your belief is illogical makes you all the more insane.

(23-08-2012 10:40 AM)Vosur Wrote:  At least you're one of the few who are able to admit this. Drinking Beverage

I found that believers proudly admit that their belief is faith-based.

He doesn't "need" to reveal Himself. He chooses to as a service to His elect.

And, why is admitting that I believe in a God that is omnipotent, omniscient, and omnipresent (all of which are completely illogical concepts) is illogical and makes me insane?

If anything, I have a fine grasp on what is logical and what isn't, but I also have an acceptance of the illogical in my life.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-08-2012, 11:11 AM
(23-08-2012 11:09 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(23-08-2012 11:03 AM)TrueReason Wrote:  Aside from the fulfillment of prophecy and the historical evidences that support the claims of the Bible, theologically Christianity provides the best explanation for the human condition, and only the real solution which salvation through the death and resurrection of Christ.

Realistically, Christianity is damaging to the human condition.

Realistically, atheism was damaging to my human condition. Christianity wasn't.

Go figure.

23-08-2012, 11:13 AM
(23-08-2012 08:05 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  TR, I still find it strange that you think ANE culture and history doesn't affect theology... I mean, how can you really think that?

The reason why it doesn't affect my theology is because I find it supportive of that theology rather than contradictory to it. Yes, Sumerian, Akkadian, and even Greek culture have somewhat similar mythical stories. I believe that that simply suggests a common source. Since you brought up the topic I've been researching it more deeply and what I have found is that while in early 20th century it may have been popular to suggest the Genesis account originated from Sumerian accounts, scholars now believe that the similarities have been overstated and more likely suggest parallel accounts or accounts that come from a common source of experience. I realize this is a popular argument amongst pop-atheists, but it seems that in the academic world it isn't so one-sided.
23-08-2012, 11:17 AM (This post was last modified: 23-08-2012 11:22 AM by kingschosen.)
(23-08-2012 11:13 AM)TrueReason Wrote:  
(23-08-2012 08:05 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  TR, I still find it strange that you think ANE culture and history doesn't affect theology... I mean, how can you really think that?

The reason why it doesn't affect my theology is because I find it supportive of that theology rather than contradictory to it. Yes, Sumerian, Akkadian, and even Greek culture have somewhat similar mythical stories. I believe that that simply suggests a common source. Since you brought up the topic I've been researching it more deeply and what I have found is that while in early 20th century it may have been popular to suggest the Genesis account originated from Sumerian accounts, scholars now believe that the similarities have been overstated and more likely suggest parallel accounts or accounts that come from a common source of experience. I realize this is a popular argument amongst pop-atheists, but it seems that in the academic world it isn't so one-sided.

You're about to provoke Bucky, lol.

Edit:
But no, that's not what scholars think. Besides you can't have "parallel" accounts when the accounts are separated by thousands of years.

[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
23-08-2012, 11:18 AM
(23-08-2012 11:10 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  And, why is admitting that I believe in a God that is omnipotent, omniscient, and omnipresent (all of which are completely illogical concepts) is illogical and makes me insane?

If anything, I have a fine grasp on what is logical and what isn't, but I also have an acceptance of the illogical in my life.

It isn't that you admit that it is illogical. It is that you persist in believing something that you have admitted is illogical that lacks proof.

(23-08-2012 11:11 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(23-08-2012 11:09 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  Realistically, Christianity is damaging to the human condition.

Realistically, atheism was damaging to my human condition. Christianity wasn't.

Go figure.

Really? How was this?

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
23-08-2012, 11:20 AM
(23-08-2012 11:18 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(23-08-2012 11:10 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  And, why is admitting that I believe in a God that is omnipotent, omniscient, and omnipresent (all of which are completely illogical concepts) is illogical and makes me insane?

It isn't that you admit that it is illogical. It is that you persist in believing something that you have admitted is illogical that lacks proof.

(23-08-2012 11:11 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Realistically, atheism was damaging to my human condition. Christianity wasn't.

Go figure.

Really? How was this?

During my agnostic atheist days I wasn't a pleasant person.

I realized it's anecdotal, so yeah... no weight.

23-08-2012, 11:25 AM
(22-08-2012 04:34 PM)TrueReason Wrote:  I'm studying to become a pastor, not a scientist.

A basic understanding of biology, chemistry, and physics would deter you from becoming a pastor, TR.

23-08-2012, 11:26 AM
(23-08-2012 11:20 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  During my agnostic atheist days I wasn't a pleasant person.

Can you elaborate on how agnostic atheism was the cause of your turmoil, that is unless you already needed to have a savior. In which case, I would question just how much of a disbeliever you actually were.

23-08-2012, 11:33 AM
(23-08-2012 11:26 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(23-08-2012 11:20 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  During my agnostic atheist days I wasn't a pleasant person.

Can you elaborate on how agnostic atheism was the cause of your turmoil, that is unless you already needed to have a savior. In which case, I would question just how much of a disbeliever you actually were.

My atheism wasn't the cause... it's just that I was a crappy person and I happened to be an atheist. It wasn't until my regeneration that I stopped being crappy.

So, I would say that my atheism had no bearing my human condition; however, Christianity did because it changed me.

I honestly said that as a stupid little quip. My bad.

23-08-2012, 11:36 AM
Ask TrueReason...Religious questions
(23-08-2012 11:03 AM)TrueReason Wrote:  
(22-08-2012 09:38 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  I don't want to sound pompous, stuck up or anything but I've tried asking what evidence the religious has to prove their gods above others. I've never gotten a straight answer....

The God of the Bible is the one true God because unlike the God's of any other religion, we have verifiable cases of His interaction with human history, the greatest manifestation being the person of Jesus Christ. Aside from the fulfillment of prophecy and the historical evidences that support the claims of the Bible, theologically Christianity provides the best explanation for the human condition, and only the real solution which salvation through the death and resurrection of Christ. While other religions maintain that one must simply try do as many good works to enter into the kingdom of heaven, Christianity recognizes that all of mankind has broken God's moral law and is thus worthy of punishment. Good works are insufficient for salvation just as obeying the laws of the United States are insufficient to save you from jail even if you only stole a couple cars in your lifetime.

As I have said before, if you would like to go into greater detail about historical evidences, we can do so another thread. I'm having a difficult time responding to all the questions because of limited and many questions, and I suspect I will have even less time next week when I begin classes.

Take a deep breath, and think about the arrogance of your statement. Do you seriously believe that a believer in any other religion would say that there is no evidence of God interacting with them?

Every Muslim thinks they have evidence that they say God interacts with them in a miraculous way.

Every Mormon can point to prophecy and what they considered miracles to give their evidence for God interacting in the world.

Every Hindu can give evidence for what they believe points to Gods interacting with them every day.

And the examples go on and on. I would venture to say that not one religious person in all of history has ever thought that they did not have a plethora of evidence for what they believe. Yet you would deny that those beliefs are real. You would probably state that those people are deluded somehow. You in fact are an atheist about other gods and religions. Do you think you can say why we should believe you over a Muslim who has just as much zeal and sincerity about what they believe? You have already admitted elsewhere that if you were born in another country you would believe that religion. You have essentially admitted that if you were born another country you would support their religion and say that it is has strong evidence to back it up. Can you see how ridiculous it sounds for you to claim that your religion is true while someone else's is not?

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 3 users Like Erxomai's post