Ask TrueReason...Religious questions

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-08-2012, 12:04 PM
RE: Ask TrueReason...Religious questions
(23-08-2012 12:01 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  There would be no reason for us to convert, right?
You can't be coverted, you are either elect or not. Drinking Beverage

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
23-08-2012, 12:05 PM
(23-08-2012 12:01 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(23-08-2012 11:59 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  -_-

I was crappy because I didn't have Christianity.

You cannot be applied to me.

So no, y'all aren't crappy.

There would be no reason for us to convert, right?

*whispers to Erxomai* you have to be specially chosen.. or elected remember? God doesn't care about most of us enough to elect anyone but a chosen few so just accept your destiny to burn in hell.... you.. you .. hellbound preacher!

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. -- Voltaire
[+] 1 user Likes ddrew's post
23-08-2012, 12:06 PM
(23-08-2012 12:01 PM)TrueReason Wrote:  I haven't done enough in-depth studies into Old testament authorship at this point, but if memory serves me right, Moses is considered the author of Pentateuch, though i'm sure he had some help in that regard.

Moses, if he ever existed, (and he probably didn't), is known by scholars to NOT be the author of the Pentateuch. But thanks for revealing your level of ignorance. The Book of Deuteronomy describes his death and burial. How many people write about their OWN death and burial ? Scholars know when Deuteronomy "just happened" to be discovered, and by whom, (and why he made it up).

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
23-08-2012, 12:08 PM
(23-08-2012 11:42 AM)Red Tornado Wrote:  Don't get me wrong, KC, I have respect for you but that's fucked up. I mean that with the respect I have. It's borderline depressing to hear someone say they are willing to trust someone that's proven (I'm aiming at the bible, but someone can take a jab at current day situations if they'd like) that they aren't mature, capable, or really that caring of a creator to help them survive this world.

Who said that a purpose of God was for us to survive? We live according to His plan... whatever that is... His purpose isn't for us.

Quote:What I'm getting at is this, if you have to close your eyes and hope it works out, it's not really working out, is it? If you have to guess at what someone who can save you - or kill you is going to do, then is that a safe relationship? Ionno, it looks to me Christianity is doing more harm to you, you may not notice it however...

Well, I'm an agnostic theist based on the premise that I'm not omniscient. My faith in God carries my belief to the fullest. It's really kind of insulting (you're not the first one that has said this) when people say that since I don't believe in free will then I'm heading down a path of badness people I just don't care.

That isn't the case at all. God gives me desires, so I do have drive and purpose. To me, my Christianity hasn't done any harm... only good.

Quote:A little offtopic, I love your rainbow username. It's totally fabulous.

I know. When I became a mod, I made it clear I had to keep my rainbow.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
23-08-2012, 12:10 PM
(23-08-2012 12:08 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Well, I'm an agnostic theist based on the premise that I'm not omniscient. My faith in God carries my belief to the fullest. It's really kind of insulting (you're not the first one that has said this) when people say that since I don't believe in free will then I'm heading down a path of badness people I just don't care.

You have no right to complain. You believe that God predestined this to happen.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
23-08-2012, 12:11 PM
(23-08-2012 12:01 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(23-08-2012 11:59 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  -_-

I was crappy because I didn't have Christianity.

You cannot be applied to me.

So no, y'all aren't crappy.

There would be no reason for us to convert, right?

I think you're misunderstanding.

Christianity isn't a determining factor for being crappy or not. You can be non-crappy and not be a Christian.

It wasn't like that for me, though. I was a crappy person and changed when I became a Christian.

23-08-2012, 12:13 PM
(23-08-2012 10:22 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(23-08-2012 09:51 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  That's a really fair and logical assessment, but my belief is that God planned it. He set it up like that.

As far as humanity, it wasn't until these myths came into existence that God was able to explain His plan to His chosen. This is when people had God's image imprinted on them and God chosen these myths as a way of explanation.

As far as the Zeus thing... yeah, you're right. But, this is where my faith comes into play. I have faith in the Christian God that He is the correct God.

What do you think about the idea that with a strict Calvinist view, any kind of Bible is unnecessary? If there is no free will, no choice whether to believe or not believe, then why bother with communicating anything at all? Election really has no bearing on anything but your afterlife, so why create an ambiguous and confusing grouping of texts that really have nothing to do with the majority of people who will ever live? When you die you'll go to heaven. When I die I'll be tortured in hell for eternity. Neither one of us can do anything about it anyway, so why bother with mythology?

Well, I'm not a strict Calvinist. I find strict Calvinism to be far too simplistic of a view of the Bible and iof reality. We're not all being pulled by strings. We have a free will, and in our free will, and through the choices of who have come before us, we have blinded ourselves to the truth. God's will is accomplished through the work of His Spirit in hearts of mankind. It's not some deterministic clockwork. What evil God does allow to happen, is a mere fraction of all that could happen if man was allowed to fulfill the utmost of his evil desires. A man can choose evil, but that doesn't mean that God will not step in the way of him accomplishing his evil goals. God does this in his mercy, as we are worthy of whatever evil and suffering comes our way.

On a brief sidenote, I actually don't believe that sinners will tortured eternally in hell. I believe they will be annihilated.
23-08-2012, 12:13 PM
(23-08-2012 12:10 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(23-08-2012 12:08 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Well, I'm an agnostic theist based on the premise that I'm not omniscient. My faith in God carries my belief to the fullest. It's really kind of insulting (you're not the first one that has said this) when people say that since I don't believe in free will then I'm heading down a path of badness people I just don't care.

You have no right to complain. You believe that God predestined this to happen.

And?

Just because it's predestined and planned doesn't make it not insulting or give me the right to not complain about it.

Jesus, knowing what had to happen to Him, asked God if He really had to do it because He didn't want nor did He want to face it... regardless, if it was predestined.

23-08-2012, 12:16 PM
(23-08-2012 12:13 PM)TrueReason Wrote:  
(23-08-2012 10:22 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  What do you think about the idea that with a strict Calvinist view, any kind of Bible is unnecessary? If there is no free will, no choice whether to believe or not believe, then why bother with communicating anything at all? Election really has no bearing on anything but your afterlife, so why create an ambiguous and confusing grouping of texts that really have nothing to do with the majority of people who will ever live? When you die you'll go to heaven. When I die I'll be tortured in hell for eternity. Neither one of us can do anything about it anyway, so why bother with mythology?

Well, I'm not a strict Calvinist. I find strict Calvinism to be far too simplistic of a view of the Bible and iof reality. We're not all being pulled by strings. We have a free will, and in our free will, and through the choices of who have come before us, we have blinded ourselves to the truth. God's will is accomplished through the work of His Spirit in hearts of mankind. It's not some deterministic clockwork. What evil God does allow to happen, is a mere fraction of all that could happen if man was allowed to fulfill the utmost of his evil desires. A man can choose evil, but that doesn't mean that God will not step in the way of him accomplishing his evil goals. God does this in his mercy, as we are worthy of whatever evil and suffering comes our way.

On a brief sidenote, I actually don't believe that sinners will tortured eternally in hell. I believe they will be annihilated.

That's a contradictory belief.

You either believe in free will or you don't.

23-08-2012, 12:18 PM
Isn't the whole "elect" thing just a way of saying, I'm special and you're not. Sorry that's just the way it is. I didn't make these rules.
Oh wait, ya I did.

I placed us in two categories. I don't see us as equals and neither does my imaginary god.
What are the odds ?

As for my religious question.
"What are the pearly gates of heaven made of and are the gates there to keep other things out or to keep people in" ?

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results