Ask TrueReason...Religious questions

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-08-2012, 12:19 PM
RE: Ask TrueReason...Religious questions
(23-08-2012 12:13 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(23-08-2012 12:10 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  You have no right to complain. You believe that God predestined this to happen.

And?

Just because it's predestined and planned doesn't make it not insulting or give me the right to not complain about it.

Jesus, knowing what had to happen to Him, asked God if He really had to do it because He didn't want nor did He want to face it... regardless, if it was predestined.

Well I do have to say, god's plan is not very impressive.. in fact god is doing a crappy job at it.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. -- Voltaire
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-08-2012, 12:20 PM
(23-08-2012 12:08 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Who said that a purpose of God was for us to survive? We live according to His plan... whatever that is... His purpose isn't for us.
Hmm, so his primary goal is not for our well being?

Quote:Well, I'm an agnostic theist based on the premise that I'm not omniscient. My faith in God carries my belief to the fullest. It's really kind of insulting (you're not the first one that has said this) when people say that since I don't believe in free will then I'm heading down a path of badness people I just don't care.
Oops, I apologize, I didn't mean to insult you.

Quote: That isn't the case at all. God gives me desires, so I do have drive and purpose. To me, my Christianity hasn't done any harm... only good.
Hmm, so you need a outside source to make you want to live? Consider

Quote:I know. When I became a mod, I made it clear I had to keep my rainbow.
I think it looks good on you, although you should have a rainbowish avatar to match it.

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
23-08-2012, 12:21 PM
(23-08-2012 12:13 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Jesus, knowing what had to happen to Him, asked God if He really had to do it because He didn't want nor did He want to face it... regardless, if it was predestined.

That is debatable. And even if it were true, your quibble is with God and not us.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
23-08-2012, 12:23 PM (This post was last modified: 23-08-2012 12:33 PM by DLJ.)
(23-08-2012 12:03 PM)TrueReason Wrote:  
(23-08-2012 10:54 AM)DLJ Wrote:  S'funny that.

I hear that one all the time from my Muslim friends.

Consider

Ah! I see what you are saying. There is not "just as much" proof... there is more proof for Islam.

Allah be praised.

Can you direct me to some of their proofs? I am admittedly no expert in Islamic studies, but I would like to see some of their arguments.

Their arguments are the same as yours!

Does that tell you anything?

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
23-08-2012, 12:26 PM
(23-08-2012 12:13 PM)TrueReason Wrote:  
(23-08-2012 10:22 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  What do you think about the idea that with a strict Calvinist view, any kind of Bible is unnecessary? If there is no free will, no choice whether to believe or not believe, then why bother with communicating anything at all? Election really has no bearing on anything but your afterlife, so why create an ambiguous and confusing grouping of texts that really have nothing to do with the majority of people who will ever live? When you die you'll go to heaven. When I die I'll be tortured in hell for eternity. Neither one of us can do anything about it anyway, so why bother with mythology?

Well, I'm not a strict Calvinist. I find strict Calvinism to be far too simplistic of a view of the Bible and iof reality. We're not all being pulled by strings. We have a free will, and in our free will, and through the choices of who have come before us, we have blinded ourselves to the truth. God's will is accomplished through the work of His Spirit in hearts of mankind. It's not some deterministic clockwork. What evil God does allow to happen, is a mere fraction of all that could happen if man was allowed to fulfill the utmost of his evil desires. A man can choose evil, but that doesn't mean that God will not step in the way of him accomplishing his evil goals. God does this in his mercy, as we are worthy of whatever evil and suffering comes our way.

On a brief sidenote, I actually don't believe that sinners will tortured eternally in hell. I believe they will be annihilated.

The amount of evil permitted in this world does not deny the fact that God is incapable of preventing evil. The problem of evil is avoidable, any way you look at it.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
23-08-2012, 12:27 PM
(23-08-2012 12:08 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  ...When I became a mod, I made it clear I had to keep my rainbow.

Sooooo gay!

23-08-2012, 12:29 PM
(23-08-2012 12:01 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(23-08-2012 11:41 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  Have you also considered that your beliefs had nothing to do with you becoming a better person? You probably just grew up. You met a beautiful wife, you had kids, good job, good friends and social community. To say that you were a crappy person because you did not have Christianity would mean that the majority of this board are crappy people right?

All of that happened after my conversion.

It also all happened after you started taking showers and wearing deodorant. It all happened after a rainy Tuesday in July in 1995. It all happened after you stubbed your toe on your bed. And so on. Smile

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 3 users Like Erxomai's post
23-08-2012, 12:31 PM
(23-08-2012 12:26 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(23-08-2012 12:13 PM)TrueReason Wrote:  Well, I'm not a strict Calvinist. I find strict Calvinism to be far too simplistic of a view of the Bible and iof reality. We're not all being pulled by strings. We have a free will, and in our free will, and through the choices of who have come before us, we have blinded ourselves to the truth. God's will is accomplished through the work of His Spirit in hearts of mankind. It's not some deterministic clockwork. What evil God does allow to happen, is a mere fraction of all that could happen if man was allowed to fulfill the utmost of his evil desires. A man can choose evil, but that doesn't mean that God will not step in the way of him accomplishing his evil goals. God does this in his mercy, as we are worthy of whatever evil and suffering comes our way.

On a brief sidenote, I actually don't believe that sinners will tortured eternally in hell. I believe they will be annihilated.

The amount of evil permitted in this world does not deny the fact that God is incapable of preventing evil. The problem of evil is avoidable, any way you look at it.

Unless, of course, you say that God created evil and uses it for His purpose just like everything else.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
23-08-2012, 12:32 PM
(23-08-2012 12:13 PM)TrueReason Wrote:  
(23-08-2012 10:22 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  What do you think about the idea that with a strict Calvinist view, any kind of Bible is unnecessary? If there is no free will, no choice whether to believe or not believe, then why bother with communicating anything at all? Election really has no bearing on anything but your afterlife, so why create an ambiguous and confusing grouping of texts that really have nothing to do with the majority of people who will ever live? When you die you'll go to heaven. When I die I'll be tortured in hell for eternity. Neither one of us can do anything about it anyway, so why bother with mythology?

Well, I'm not a strict Calvinist. I find strict Calvinism to be far too simplistic of a view of the Bible and iof reality. We're not all being pulled by strings. We have a free will, and in our free will, and through the choices of who have come before us, we have blinded ourselves to the truth. God's will is accomplished through the work of His Spirit in hearts of mankind. It's not some deterministic clockwork. What evil God does allow to happen, is a mere fraction of all that could happen if man was allowed to fulfill the utmost of his evil desires. A man can choose evil, but that doesn't mean that God will not step in the way of him accomplishing his evil goals. God does this in his mercy, as we are worthy of whatever evil and suffering comes our way.

Oops...sorry TR. That question was directed at KC. You're not reformed, despite your earlier use of the term, so I know you don't believe that way.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
23-08-2012, 12:35 PM
What's up with the pig pile on KC? I was a crappy agnostic until I drew Gwyneth Paltrow, and just because we all know she's way cuter than that dusty ol' fuck YHWH, that's no reason to denigrate his epiphany. Besides, this is the rag on TrueReason thread. The rag on KC thread is thataway ->

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post