Ask TrueReason...Religious questions

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-08-2012, 12:36 PM
RE: Ask TrueReason...Religious questions
(23-08-2012 12:35 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  I was a crappy agnostic until I drew Gwyneth Paltrow, and just because we all know she's way cuter than that dusty ol' fuck YHWH, that's no reason to denigrate his epiphany.

[Image: gwyneth1.jpeg]

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Vosur's post
23-08-2012, 12:36 PM
(23-08-2012 12:31 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(23-08-2012 12:26 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  The amount of evil permitted in this world does not deny the fact that God is incapable of preventing evil. The problem of evil is avoidable, any way you look at it.

Unless, of course, you say that God created evil and uses it for His purpose just like everything else.

In which case God is evil, and there is no significant change in the conclusion that God is an incompetent asshole if he exists.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
23-08-2012, 12:39 PM
(23-08-2012 12:11 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(23-08-2012 12:01 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  There would be no reason for us to convert, right?

I think you're misunderstanding.

Christianity isn't a determining factor for being crappy or not. You can be non-crappy and not be a Christian.

It wasn't like that for me, though. I was a crappy person and changed when I became a Christian.

I understand what you're saying, but you're the one that I think is misunderstanding the cause for you becoming a better person.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
23-08-2012, 12:39 PM
(23-08-2012 12:20 PM)Red Tornado Wrote:  
(23-08-2012 12:08 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Who said that a purpose of God was for us to survive? We live according to His plan... whatever that is... His purpose isn't for us.
Hmm, so his primary goal is not for our well being?

Quote:Well, I'm an agnostic theist based on the premise that I'm not omniscient. My faith in God carries my belief to the fullest. It's really kind of insulting (you're not the first one that has said this) when people say that since I don't believe in free will then I'm heading down a path of badness people I just don't care.
Oops, I apologize, I didn't mean to insult you.

Quote: That isn't the case at all. God gives me desires, so I do have drive and purpose. To me, my Christianity hasn't done any harm... only good.
Hmm, so you need a outside source to make you want to live? Consider

Quote:I know. When I became a mod, I made it clear I had to keep my rainbow.
I think it looks good on you, although you should have a rainbowish avatar to match it.

1) No. His will is His own. His goals are His own. If His goal was for our well-being, then no Christian would ever suffer hardship.

2) Oh no, you didn't insult me. I mean, I'm not offended. It's just an insulting sentiment is all... at least to the party on the receiving end. Fortunately, I understand what you meant... plus, I don't really get bothered by stuff like that.

3) In a sense... yes. God gives me desires for purpose in my life. For me, this is something that I could never obtain on my own.

4) Thanks! And, I can't change my avatar. I've had it since I got here. It's my own personal upside down dog... his name is King. Best dog ever.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
23-08-2012, 12:40 PM
(23-08-2012 12:29 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(23-08-2012 12:01 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  All of that happened after my conversion.

It also all happened after you started taking showers and wearing deodorant. It all happened after a rainy Tuesday in July in 1995. It all happened after you stubbed your toe on your bed. And so on. Smile

I would agree with Erx.

What ever associations you may make Kingsy... it is you who makes them; it is your brain; you have control; you choose. Nothing outside of you is responsible for all the good in your life, just as nothing outside of you is responsible when bad things happen.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
23-08-2012, 12:41 PM
(23-08-2012 12:35 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  What's up with the pig pile on KC? I was a crappy agnostic until I drew Gwyneth Paltrow, and just because we all know she's way cuter than that dusty ol' fuck YHWH, that's no reason to denigrate his epiphany. Besides, this is the rag on TrueReason thread. The rag on KC thread is thataway ->

No pig-piling. It's called divide and conquer. Just like Julias is doing with you. Tongue

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
23-08-2012, 12:44 PM
(23-08-2012 12:06 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(23-08-2012 12:01 PM)TrueReason Wrote:  I haven't done enough in-depth studies into Old testament authorship at this point, but if memory serves me right, Moses is considered the author of Pentateuch, though i'm sure he had some help in that regard.

Moses, if he ever existed, (and he probably didn't), is known by scholars to NOT be the author of the Pentateuch. But thanks for revealing your level of ignorance. The Book of Deuteronomy describes his death and burial. How many people write about their OWN death and burial ? Scholars know when Deuteronomy "just happened" to be discovered, and by whom, (and why he made it up).

How did you write this with a straight face. The kid thinks Moses wrote the Pentateuch! I can't remember the last time I heard someone say that and seriously believed it. Big Grin

~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
23-08-2012, 12:45 PM (This post was last modified: 23-08-2012 12:48 PM by Vosur.)
(23-08-2012 12:35 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  I was a crappy agnostic until I drew Gwyneth Paltrow, and just because we all know she's way cuter than that dusty ol' fuck YHWH, that's no reason to denigrate his epiphany.
I beg to differ. Angry

[Image: 4vFtj.png]

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Vosur's post
23-08-2012, 12:45 PM
(23-08-2012 12:11 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(23-08-2012 12:01 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  There would be no reason for us to convert, right?

I think you're misunderstanding.

Christianity isn't a determining factor for being crappy or not. You can be non-crappy and not be a Christian.

It wasn't like that for me, though. I was a crappy person and changed when I became a Christian.

I've seen many a drunk and addict turn around his or her life by changing beliefs. Some went Christian, others did not. Nothing in their success or failure attests to the truth of the belief system, just that it has an effect on cognitive/emotional states.

The belief system can even be completely absurd.Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
23-08-2012, 12:52 PM
(23-08-2012 12:44 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(23-08-2012 12:06 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Moses, if he ever existed, (and he probably didn't), is known by scholars to NOT be the author of the Pentateuch. But thanks for revealing your level of ignorance. The Book of Deuteronomy describes his death and burial. How many people write about their OWN death and burial ? Scholars know when Deuteronomy "just happened" to be discovered, and by whom, (and why he made it up).

How did you write this with a straight face. The kid thinks Moses wrote the Pentateuch! I can't remember the last time I heard someone say that and seriously believed it. Big Grin

I know, right? wtf? I don't even give a shit, and I know it. Dodgy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein