Ask TrueReason...Religious questions

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-08-2012, 12:53 PM
RE: Ask TrueReason...Religious questions
Ok, so there's this guy called Stark. He's an asshole. One day, stark is introduced to a guy called Erx. Erx invites Stark to his house. In the House of Erx, Erx tells stark that being an asshole is bad. Stark thinks about it, and after contemplation, decides Erx is right. Stark ceases to be an asshole.

Now part of erx's teaching states that only by taking the holy sacrament of weed, can stark cease to be an asshole. That's because taking the sacrament is part of being in the church of the Great Bud.

Just because the Great Bud doesn't exist, doesn't mean Stark didn't stop being an asshole because of the non-existant Great Bud.

Just like KC became a better person through the teachings he received through Christianity, Stark became a better person through the teachings of the Great Bud. Both teachings may, or may not be correct, but it doesn't change the fact that both our imaginary characters became better people through their respective teachings.

So I would argue that yes, KC is indeed a better person, and that yes, it is quite possible that becoming a Christian DID make him a better person.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like Stark Raving's post
23-08-2012, 12:54 PM
Weed will make you less of an asshole. Guaranteed.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 3 users Like Erxomai's post
23-08-2012, 01:02 PM
(23-08-2012 12:54 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Weed will make you less of an asshole. Guaranteed.

Sadly I can't be a part of The Great Bud group. It turns me into a massive paranoid. Tongue BUT I have found the alternative: The Vitamin B100 group. I'm less of an asshole now, but I do have my moments. Usually when I forget to take the sacrament. The props go to the internet, though. One of the most reliable sources I've found to date.

*See sarcasm above about the internet

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 3 users Like cheapthrillseaker's post
23-08-2012, 01:03 PM
(23-08-2012 12:54 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Weed will make you less of an asshole. Guaranteed.

I can think of a few personal friends that are exceptions to that guarantee.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
[+] 1 user Likes Logica Humano's post
23-08-2012, 01:10 PM
(23-08-2012 12:53 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Ok, so there's this guy called Stark. He's an asshole. One day, stark is introduced to a guy called Erx. Erx invites Stark to his house. In the House of Erx, Erx tells stark that being an asshole is bad. Stark thinks about it, and after contemplation, decides Erx is right. Stark ceases to be an asshole.

Now part of erx's teaching states that only by taking the holy sacrament of weed, can stark cease to be an asshole. That's because taking the sacrament is part of being in the church of the Great Bud.

Just because the Great Bud doesn't exist, doesn't mean Stark didn't stop being an asshole because of the non-existant Great Bud.

Just like KC became a better person through the teachings he received through Christianity, Stark became a better person through the teachings of the Great Bud. Both teachings may, or may not be correct, but it doesn't change the fact that both our imaginary characters became better people through their respective teachings.

So I would argue that yes, KC is indeed a better person, and that yes, it is quite possible that becoming a Christian DID make him a better person.

Or he found something external to blame for his change. No responsibility that way.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 1 user Likes Thinkerbelle's post
23-08-2012, 01:11 PM
(23-08-2012 01:03 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  

I can think of a few personal friends that are exceptions to that guarantee.

They must be doing something wrong then.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
23-08-2012, 01:11 PM
(23-08-2012 12:36 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(23-08-2012 12:31 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Unless, of course, you say that God created evil and uses it for His purpose just like everything else.

In which case God is evil, and there is no significant change in the conclusion that God is an incompetent asshole if he exists.

This is true, but it's only based on what we understand as morality.

His actions, to His standard, aren't evil... they simply serve a purpose.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
23-08-2012, 01:12 PM
(23-08-2012 12:35 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  What's up with the pig pile on KC? I was a crappy agnostic until I drew Gwyneth Paltrow, and just because we all know she's way cuter than that dusty ol' fuck YHWH, that's no reason to denigrate his epiphany. Besides, this is the rag on TrueReason thread. The rag on KC thread is thataway ->

Yeah, I guess I should just stop answering questions.

I need to change my title to "Master Derailer".

23-08-2012, 01:13 PM
(22-08-2012 04:39 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(22-08-2012 04:25 PM)TrueReason Wrote:  Who would die for a story they didn't believe to be true though? The apostles witnessed these things firsthand and suffered and died defending the claim that Christ rose from the dead.

This would be a true statement if you had reliable evidence that there actually were apostles. I hope that you already know that the authors of the biblical documents are anonymous. There are some letters that can be ascribed to Paul, but certainly most of the New Testament remains anonymous. There is no evidence of any kind from that period that any of these "eyewitnesses" ever existed.
Given this point, your "evidence" is suspect at best, but hardly verification of the NT documents.

Bump

~Izel
23-08-2012, 01:13 PM
(23-08-2012 01:10 PM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  
(23-08-2012 12:53 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Ok, so there's this guy called Stark. He's an asshole. One day, stark is introduced to a guy called Erx. Erx invites Stark to his house. In the House of Erx, Erx tells stark that being an asshole is bad. Stark thinks about it, and after contemplation, decides Erx is right. Stark ceases to be an asshole.

Or he found something external to blame for his change. No responsibility that way.

Why would I not want responsibility for something positive?