Ask TrueReason...Religious questions

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-08-2012, 01:14 PM
(22-08-2012 06:36 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  What you make of the fact that there is not one documented case of God ever healing an amputee or a child with Down's syndrome?

Bump

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
23-08-2012, 01:15 PM
RE: Ask TrueReason...Religious questions
(23-08-2012 01:12 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I need to change my title to "Master Derailer".

I think you may have to get in line for that one.

I got ya beat, fine sir. Cool

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
(22-08-2012 08:24 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  I either passed over your response to this in your original thread, or you passed it over in the mass of posts. But since it applies to the questions KC raised, I'll pose it again:

How do you explain that miracles have only happened during 4 specific Bible times and never since? Moses could do miracles. Then a few centuries with zero miracles Elijah and Elisha get to do a few tricks. A few centuries until Daniel and his budz conjure up a couple of illusions and then several more centuries pass until Yeshua and his posse pull a few rabbits out of their hats.

How much trust can you really place in the veracity of these miracles. Or if you're of a more liberal understanding and don't believe in the biblical miracles, then why should anyone even believe there was anything like a real god if there is no special revelation showing what an awesome god it is?

Speaking of placing your trust in these stories, how do you reconcile that there is not one shred of physical evidence for anything mentioned in Bible until approximately 900ish BCE?

No evidence of any patriarch (except in that they coincide with Caananite demigods).

No evidence of a Moses or an exodus.

No evidence of a Joshua or a conquest of Caanan (in fact quite the opposite. The archeological evidence shows the city states of Caanan collapsed internally into villages and territories lead by warlords.

The very first piece of physical evidence that mentions anything in the bible isn't until sometime during the 9th century BCE. A faint, cryptic carving that refers to the "house of David" on something called the Tel Dan Stele.

There is a lot of biblical material that you are basing your faith on, yet not one hint of evidence to be found in reality.

No mention of an actual king David or kingdom. In fact, there is no other substantial archeological evidence for anything in the old testament until you get to the destruction of Israel in the 700s and Judah in the 500s. And the physical evidence of that time shows us this is when the history of the Jews was invented to unify themselves as a people and to comfort their sorrows in captivity. They found a bunch of old creation myths and they found some poetry and they put together documents that gave themselves an imaginary pedigree and a code of rules that would make them distinct not only from their masters, but from their fellow captives from other countries.

Don't even get me started on NT documents. Let's just say they exist because of the OT documents. Since there is no verification that anything in the Jewish history actually happened until about 2500 years ago, why do you think it's acceptable to believe any of it is real?

Bump

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
(23-08-2012 01:14 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(22-08-2012 06:36 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  What you make of the fact that there is not one documented case of God ever healing an amputee or a child with Down's syndrome?

Bump

Yea bump

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
23-08-2012, 01:17 PM
(23-08-2012 01:13 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(23-08-2012 01:10 PM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  Or he found something external to blame for his change. No responsibility that way.

Why would I not want responsibility for something positive?

I have no clue. Why don't you give yourself credit for the change instead of Christianity? Did someone wave a magic wand? I'm betting not. It's internal, not external.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
23-08-2012, 01:42 PM
(23-08-2012 01:17 PM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  
(23-08-2012 01:13 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Why would I not want responsibility for something positive?

I have no clue. Why don't you give yourself credit for the change instead of Christianity? Did someone wave a magic wand? I'm betting not. It's internal, not external.

Whether we believe in Christianity or not, it's still entirely possible that KCs religion is what spurred him into becoming a better person.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
23-08-2012, 01:49 PM
(23-08-2012 01:42 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  
(23-08-2012 01:17 PM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  I have no clue. Why don't you give yourself credit for the change instead of Christianity? Did someone wave a magic wand? I'm betting not. It's internal, not external.

Whether we believe in Christianity or not, it's still entirely possible that KCs religion is what spurred him into becoming a better person.

Who can fathom the mind of the batshit crazy ? Hobo
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
23-08-2012, 01:54 PM
(23-08-2012 12:40 PM)kim Wrote:  
(23-08-2012 12:29 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  It also all happened after you started taking showers and wearing deodorant. It all happened after a rainy Tuesday in July in 1995. It all happened after you stubbed your toe on your bed. And so on. Smile

I would agree with Erx.

What ever associations you may make Kingsy... it is you who makes them; it is your brain; you have control; you choose. Nothing outside of you is responsible for all the good in your life, just as nothing outside of you is responsible when bad things happen.

It is more elegant to love Gwyneth for my changes than myself. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-08-2012, 02:02 PM
Damn you fuckers post a lot.

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
[+] 5 users Like Question's post
23-08-2012, 02:04 PM
(23-08-2012 02:02 PM)Red Tornado Wrote:  Damn you fuckers post a lot.

It's sad, really.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]