Ask TrueReason...Religious questions

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-08-2012, 12:24 AM
RE: Ask TrueReason...Religious questions
(23-08-2012 11:24 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(23-08-2012 11:14 PM)Vosur Wrote:  Considerng the average person's lifespan back then, I think it's fair to say that nobody who saw Jesus within his lifetime ever told one of the authors of the NT about it. It's hearsay hearsay.

Yes, I did mean to mention that. We can speculate the alleged apostles would've been around the same age as Yeshua who was in his early 30s, making illiterate, hard working folks unlikely to be around in their 70s. The gospel of John at best is dated around 95 though most scholars now put it around 150. Even so, a 95 year old fisherman writing in high Greek with a polished theology not found in the Synoptics would surely not have the capacity to write accurately. And then later that same 95+ year old man writes a few letters, also very different theology than that of Paul, who invented Christianity. And let's not forget revelation. There might be a case to be made that only a very old man with Alzheimer's could have written that mess.

We are talking about magic very old men though.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
24-08-2012, 04:53 AM
(23-08-2012 03:43 PM)elemts Wrote:  Just a question for, well anyone (or everyone) I guess....

If theists didn't believe in freewill, wouldn't that make god the most evil being of all time--one that makes satan seem like a saint? Granted it would also assume they believe in punishment (ex: hell).

But theists do believe in free will...

...don't they?

But if free will didn't exist, it would make a god unjust (assuming he or she existed). I read Sam Harris' new book on it and he has sold me on the point... there's no free will.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-08-2012, 05:57 AM
(22-08-2012 02:54 PM)TrueReason Wrote:  
(22-08-2012 02:41 PM)Vosur Wrote:  Have you ever read the rebuttals of the arguments for your belief (i.e. cosmological argument, teological argument, argument from morality, etc.) and if so, why do you still consider them to be valid? Consider
Admittedly while attending school I haven't had much time for outside reading. My experience with these comes mostly from viewing debates and reading short articles about these topics. I did start reading some of the God Delusion a while ago, but it was online and find it hard to read online books for a long period of time Tongue I realize the value in reading the books from authors of differing opinions but the best I've been able to do at this point is collect what I've heard from my interactions with atheists and test their theories with my own reasoning abilities and examining the answers apologists have to offer. My goal is not to learn what to think, but really how to think, which revolves around asking the right questions. If I fail to ask them, I'm sure atheists will ask them, and thus I am here.

TrueReason.........

I know your too young to drink with me.. but.. please....

I emplore you.... before you fall face first into some blind faith of a delusion...
Research your ideas.. question EVERYTHING!

Everyone here that you have recently met... you've seen that we are NOT stupid... and in fact.. MOST of us are far more educated than you are! LOL!! IN FACT... most of us are more versed in what the WHOLE bible has to say.. OT and NT....

I truely feel that your choice in a career in Theism.. / Pastor / Priest .. whatever.. is going to lead you down a path of lies... regret... .. and who knows.. way things are going in the church these days.. child molestation.......!

you named yerself TrueReason ... in what I've seen of you.. your nothing but TrueFabrication...

you have ALOT of study ahead of you.. READ books of Richard Dawkins.. watch youtube video's of Christopher Hitchens... dude.. EDUCATE yerself beyond what they are giving you at your schooling........

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. -- Voltaire
[+] 2 users Like ddrew's post
24-08-2012, 07:35 AM
(24-08-2012 04:53 AM)Starcrash Wrote:  
(23-08-2012 03:43 PM)elemts Wrote:  Just a question for, well anyone (or everyone) I guess....

If theists didn't believe in freewill, wouldn't that make god the most evil being of all time--one that makes satan seem like a saint? Granted it would also assume they believe in punishment (ex: hell).

But theists do believe in free will...

...don't they?

But if free will didn't exist, it would make a god unjust (assuming he or she existed). I read Sam Harris' new book on it and he has sold me on the point... there's no free will.

KC don't believe in no free wills.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
24-08-2012, 07:40 AM
(24-08-2012 07:35 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(24-08-2012 04:53 AM)Starcrash Wrote:  But theists do believe in free will...

...don't they?

Isn't that a double negative?

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
24-08-2012, 07:47 AM
(24-08-2012 07:35 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(24-08-2012 04:53 AM)Starcrash Wrote:  But theists do believe in free will...

...don't they?

Not only that, I also believe that every bit of minutia, even you typing that, is controlled by God.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
24-08-2012, 07:51 AM
(24-08-2012 07:40 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(24-08-2012 07:35 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  KC don't believe in no free wills.

Isn't that a double negative?

You cerrecting my American? Are you a fagget or somethins'?

@KC God is a dipshit for controlling me.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
24-08-2012, 08:00 AM
(24-08-2012 07:47 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(24-08-2012 07:35 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  KC don't believe in no free wills.

Not only that, I also believe that every bit of minutia, even you typing that, is controlled by God.

What if an elect kills themselves? Does your god like or dislike that?

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
24-08-2012, 08:01 AM
(24-08-2012 08:00 AM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  
(24-08-2012 07:47 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Not only that, I also believe that every bit of minutia, even you typing that, is controlled by God.

What if an elect kills themselves? Does your god like or dislike that?

Elect don't kill themselves. The way you can tell is, if they kill themselves, then they weren't elect.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
24-08-2012, 08:03 AM
(24-08-2012 07:51 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(24-08-2012 07:40 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  Isn't that a double negative?

You cerrecting my American? Are you a fagget or somethins'?

@KC God is a dipshit for controlling me.

Sorry! I don't speak American! I speak Australian! Sadcryface2

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.