Ask TrueReason...Religious questions

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-08-2012, 09:34 AM
RE: Quit derailing ...
(24-08-2012 09:09 AM)Chas Wrote:  This is TR's wacky religious thread; KC has got his own wacky religious thread.Angry

We're just keeping it bumped for TR.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-08-2012, 09:41 AM
RE: Quit derailing ...
(24-08-2012 09:34 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(24-08-2012 09:09 AM)Chas Wrote:  This is TR's wacky religious thread; KC has got his own wacky religious thread.Angry

We're just keeping it bumped for TR.

God told me to tell you he thinks you look funny and that strange odor he gave you might have been a mistake on his part. He also thinks the beliefs he gave you are beyond several degrees of douchebaggery and he wishes you'd stop being so silly. Can't.Stop.Typing.For.God...Confused

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
24-08-2012, 09:41 AM
RE: Ask TrueReason...Religious questions
TR, What's ur best estimate of number of people that God kills in the OT?
[+] 1 user Likes Jeff's post
24-08-2012, 09:42 AM
(23-08-2012 09:47 AM)Vosur Wrote:  Sorry

Apology accepted.

Drinking Beverage

“What you believe to be true will control you, whether it’s true or not.”

—Jeremy LaBorde
24-08-2012, 10:18 AM
(24-08-2012 09:42 AM)ideasonscribe Wrote:  
(23-08-2012 09:47 AM)Vosur Wrote:  Sorry

Apology accepted.

Drinking Beverage

[Image: foreign-king-language-lion-sarcasm-135620.jpg]

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
24-08-2012, 10:21 AM
(24-08-2012 09:42 AM)ideasonscribe Wrote:  Apology accepted.

Drinking Beverage

[Image: Lee_Facepalm.gif]

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Vosur's post
24-08-2012, 08:03 PM
(24-08-2012 10:21 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(24-08-2012 09:42 AM)ideasonscribe Wrote:  Apology accepted.

Drinking Beverage

[Image: Lee_Facepalm.gif]

[Image: firefly2.gif]

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
25-08-2012, 02:50 PM
(23-08-2012 12:06 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(23-08-2012 12:01 PM)TrueReason Wrote:  I haven't done enough in-depth studies into Old testament authorship at this point, but if memory serves me right, Moses is considered the author of Pentateuch, though i'm sure he had some help in that regard.

Moses, if he ever existed, (and he probably didn't), is known by scholars to NOT be the author of the Pentateuch. But thanks for revealing your level of ignorance. The Book of Deuteronomy describes his death and burial. How many people write about their OWN death and burial ? Scholars know when Deuteronomy "just happened" to be discovered, and by whom, (and why he made it up).
As I said, he had some help. I don't believe that it is vitally important that Moses was the sole author of the Pentateuch.
25-08-2012, 02:52 PM
(23-08-2012 01:15 PM)kim Wrote:  
(23-08-2012 01:14 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Bump

Yea bump

So?
25-08-2012, 02:58 PM
(23-08-2012 01:15 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(22-08-2012 08:24 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  I either passed over your response to this in your original thread, or you passed it over in the mass of posts. But since it applies to the questions KC raised, I'll pose it again:

How do you explain that miracles have only happened during 4 specific Bible times and never since? Moses could do miracles. Then a few centuries with zero miracles Elijah and Elisha get to do a few tricks. A few centuries until Daniel and his budz conjure up a couple of illusions and then several more centuries pass until Yeshua and his posse pull a few rabbits out of their hats.

How much trust can you really place in the veracity of these miracles. Or if you're of a more liberal understanding and don't believe in the biblical miracles, then why should anyone even believe there was anything like a real god if there is no special revelation showing what an awesome god it is?

Speaking of placing your trust in these stories, how do you reconcile that there is not one shred of physical evidence for anything mentioned in Bible until approximately 900ish BCE?

No evidence of any patriarch (except in that they coincide with Caananite demigods).

No evidence of a Moses or an exodus.

No evidence of a Joshua or a conquest of Caanan (in fact quite the opposite. The archeological evidence shows the city states of Caanan collapsed internally into villages and territories lead by warlords.

The very first piece of physical evidence that mentions anything in the bible isn't until sometime during the 9th century BCE. A faint, cryptic carving that refers to the "house of David" on something called the Tel Dan Stele.

There is a lot of biblical material that you are basing your faith on, yet not one hint of evidence to be found in reality.

No mention of an actual king David or kingdom. In fact, there is no other substantial archeological evidence for anything in the old testament until you get to the destruction of Israel in the 700s and Judah in the 500s. And the physical evidence of that time shows us this is when the history of the Jews was invented to unify themselves as a people and to comfort their sorrows in captivity. They found a bunch of old creation myths and they found some poetry and they put together documents that gave themselves an imaginary pedigree and a code of rules that would make them distinct not only from their masters, but from their fellow captives from other countries.

Don't even get me started on NT documents. Let's just say they exist because of the OT documents. Since there is no verification that anything in the Jewish history actually happened until about 2500 years ago, why do you think it's acceptable to believe any of it is real?

Bump
God isn't some miracle vending machine. Just because something only happened a few times says nothing at all. If it happened all the time, it wouldn't be considered a miracle.

As for the Old Testament, there is actually a significant amount of archeological discoveries that attest to their veracity. Peoples such as Hittites mentioned in the Bible, though previously considered non-existent, have been discovered. As for the assertion about David...I believe you may be incorrect there. Two years ago I visited Turkey, Jordan, and Israel and if I remember correctly, they had recently found inscriptions mentioning him. If you would like, I can do more research to verify that claim.