Ask TrueReason...Religious questions

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-08-2012, 09:39 PM
RE: Ask TrueReason...Religious questions
(22-08-2012 09:38 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(22-08-2012 09:31 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  I asked the same thing and I am still waiting for his answer. Ugh...

I don't want to sound pompous, stuck up or anything but I've tried asking what evidence the religious has to prove their gods above others. I've never gotten a straight answer....

I've gotten people to admit that their beliefs are pretty fucked up.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-08-2012, 09:47 PM
(22-08-2012 09:37 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(22-08-2012 09:34 PM)Red Tornado Wrote:  Oops! Sorry! I only glazed through the past posts, I assumed it had not been asked. :c Hopefully we'll get a answer. Until then, enjoy this

No, no. Don't get me wrong, I am not upset that you asked the question again (or with you at all for that matter). I am annoyed the TrueReason's inability to multiquote or read posts that pose a legitimate threat to his beliefs.

Well hopefully he'll reply, I am somewhat interested in his response.

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
22-08-2012, 09:56 PM
(22-08-2012 09:39 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(22-08-2012 09:38 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  I don't want to sound pompous, stuck up or anything but I've tried asking what evidence the religious has to prove their gods above others. I've never gotten a straight answer....

I've gotten people to admit that their beliefs are pretty fucked up.

I bow to thee and your superior conversational ability in that case.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
22-08-2012, 09:58 PM
(22-08-2012 09:56 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(22-08-2012 09:39 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  I've gotten people to admit that their beliefs are pretty fucked up.

I bow to thee and your superior conversational ability in that case.

Or rather be appalled by the ignorance of the people I convinced. My average intelligence had little to do with it.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
22-08-2012, 10:20 PM
(22-08-2012 02:54 PM)TrueReason Wrote:  
(22-08-2012 02:41 PM)Vosur Wrote:  Have you ever read the rebuttals of the arguments for your belief (i.e. cosmological argument, teological argument, argument from morality, etc.) and if so, why do you still consider them to be valid? Consider
Admittedly while attending school I haven't had much time for outside reading. My experience with these comes mostly from viewing debates and reading short articles about these topics. I did start reading some of the God Delusion a while ago, but it was online and find it hard to read online books for a long period of time Tongue I realize the value in reading the books from authors of differing opinions but the best I've been able to do at this point is collect what I've heard from my interactions with atheists and test their theories with my own reasoning abilities and examining the answers apologists have to offer. My goal is not to learn what to think, but really how to think, which revolves around asking the right questions. If I fail to ask them, I'm sure atheists will ask them, and thus I am here.

An apologist will give you an answer. A good argument to sway opinion.

Science will give you something that is really there. A way to test it, to verify it, and knowledge to use in the real world.

You must understand that never before in the history of mankind have we been able to cure illness, feed so many, connect so many, and travel to the stars.

The belief in Jesus only ever secured a pretend seat in a place that people have to die to get to.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
[+] 3 users Like fstratzero's post
23-08-2012, 05:25 AM
(22-08-2012 02:29 PM)TrueReason Wrote:  On a personal note I only ask that you are sincere and respectful in how you ask questions. If you're not, I probably won't waste my time responding.

Trust me, you came into a rough neighborhood asking the kids not to be rough.
Many of the posters here couldn't care less about being respectful of your beliefs, and couldn't care less about truth itself.
In the time I've been here, it's looked mainly like a group that gathers to whine about how retarded religion is.

On the other hand, I think what you're doing is great. Just try not to get discouraged by the responses.
Hang in there!! Thumbsup

“What you believe to be true will control you, whether it’s true or not.”

—Jeremy LaBorde
[+] 1 user Likes ideasonscribe's post
23-08-2012, 05:46 AM
(23-08-2012 05:25 AM)ideasonscribe Wrote:  In the time I've been here, it's looked mainly like a group that gathers to whine about how retarded religion is.

You have had ample opportunity and a platform to demonstrate otherwise Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
23-08-2012, 06:15 AM
(22-08-2012 04:34 PM)TrueReason Wrote:  I'm sorry, but my world of discussion didn't revolve around you in my introduction. If you didn't notice, there was 25 pages and counting of responses. Thus I must have missed your comment. I have a life outside of this forum and so I cannot commit all my time to answering every one of the questions raised in that thread.

I'm studying to become a pastor, not a scientist. I've taken up to pre-calc mathematics, and I took biology, chemistry, and physics in high school.
How many Biblical hermeneutics classes have you taken?
How many Old Testament classes have you taken?
How many New Testament classes have you taken?
How many theology classes have you take?
None of my responses to kings questions had anything to do with those fields you listed, and I have never claimed to be an expert in those areas. If you have a theological or religious question, ask it. If not, go to the other thread I started.

If you're studying to be a pastor, then don't pretend you have any expertise in Cosmology, (which you obviously don't). Why would a theologian come to an atheist site and start preaching, about scientific questions ? If all you have is theological arguments, weak as they are, why would you try to discuss science, with theology, with people who do not accept any theological authority ? How exactly does "hermaneutics" qualify you to discuss the origins of the universe ?

The point is, you have not even begun to answer almost EVERY question raised in your original thread. You ignored almost every single one, and then started two new ones, (just as ideasonscribe ducked out on the questions raised to him, without answering any of the questions presented to him, on the resurrection. He said he had "heavy lifting" to do, but never came back to even try to do any of it, just as YOU have ignored the questions raised for you in your original thread. At least he didn't just start new threads.) The point with KC's questions, is you dismissed legimate THEOLOGICAL questions as unimportant. The point is NOT that science courses would have helped with them. The point is, you just start new threads, with the SAME questions, without answering any of them, at all. You stated that the main reason you accept Christianity, in your original thread, is that you cannot see, right now, another explanation for the origins of the universe. In Logic, that is called an Argument from Ignorance. It's a well known fallacy. Have you ever taken a Logic corse ? The point is, THAT is a scientific question. The point is, that is NOT a theological question. The point is, you do not have the background to address that question, intelligently, apparently, and obviously lack ANY scientific background. The point is, that while pretending to have a theological background, YOU dismissed the theological questions as unimportant. The point is, you have answered none of the scientific questions, or the theological questions. The POINT is, what are you doing here, if you are unwilling, or unable to do either ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
23-08-2012, 06:24 AM
(23-08-2012 06:15 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  The POINT is, what are you doing here, if you are unwilling, or unable to do either ?

Hopefully, realising that he needs to dig deeper...
23-08-2012, 07:12 AM
(23-08-2012 06:15 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  (just as ideasonscribe ducked out on the questions raised to him, without answering any of the questions presented to him, on the resurrection. He said he had "heavy lifting" to do, but never came back to even try to do any of it, just as YOU have ignored the questions raised for you in your original thread. At least he didn't just start new threads.)

Yeah, it's definitely true that I have yet to return to the subject of the resurrection.
It's one of those don't-start-something-you-can't-finish kinda thing.

The major issue I've been running into is many of the critics on this forum will ask me a loaded question expecting either a quick and short answer (KC seems ok with providing those lately Dodgy ) OR they just want me to prove to them that I'm as "delusional" as they believe I am. Short answers to loaded questions will make just about any person look like a fool.

In this case, I'm not going to land on the answer "I don't know", because when it comes to the resurrection, it is vital to the survival of the Christian worldview.
During that time, the resurrection of Jesus was what kept this worldview from failing, just as so many false religions had done and still do.
If I find that there is no credible reason to believe that the resurrection ever happened, I would need to seriously evaluate my belief. Not necessarily my belief in God, but my worldview concerning Christianity.

God doesn't have to be the Christian God, unless Christ is still alive, and not dead. The only explanation would be something beyond natural. Something "Godlike".

“What you believe to be true will control you, whether it’s true or not.”

—Jeremy LaBorde