Ask TrueReason...Religious questions

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-08-2012, 07:17 AM
RE: Ask TrueReason...Religious questions
(23-08-2012 07:12 AM)ideasonscribe Wrote:  
(23-08-2012 06:15 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  (just as ideasonscribe ducked out on the questions raised to him, without answering any of the questions presented to him, on the resurrection. He said he had "heavy lifting" to do, but never came back to even try to do any of it, just as YOU have ignored the questions raised for you in your original thread. At least he didn't just start new threads.)

Yeah, it's definitely true that I have yet to return to the subject of the resurrection.
It's one of those don't-start-something-you-can't-finish kinda thing.

The major issue I've been running into is many of the critics on this forum will ask me a loaded question expecting either a quick and short answer (KC seems ok with providing those lately Dodgy ) OR they just want me to prove to them that I'm as "delusional" as they believe I am. Short answers to loaded questions will make just about any person look like a fool.

In this case, I'm not going to land on the answer "I don't know", because when it comes to the resurrection, it is vital to the survival of the Christian worldview.
During that time, the resurrection of Jesus was what kept this worldview from failing, just as so many false religions had done and still do.
If I find that there is no credible reason to believe that the resurrection ever happened, I would need to seriously evaluate my belief. Not necessarily my belief in God, but my worldview concerning Christianity.

God doesn't have to be the Christian God, unless Christ is still alive, and not dead. The only explanation would be something beyond natural. Something "Godlike".

Then I return to the fact that there is no credible evidence for the resurrection.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-08-2012, 08:05 AM
TR, I still find it strange that you think ANE culture and history doesn't affect theology... I mean, how can you really think that?

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
23-08-2012, 08:41 AM
(23-08-2012 08:05 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  TR, I still find it strange that you think ANE culture and history doesn't affect theology... I mean, how can you really think that?

I have the same question toward someone who does know the influence of ANE culture and still thinks it has any affect on modernity. I mean, how can you really think that?

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
23-08-2012, 09:16 AM
(23-08-2012 08:41 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(23-08-2012 08:05 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  TR, I still find it strange that you think ANE culture and history doesn't affect theology... I mean, how can you really think that?

I have the same question toward someone who does know the influence of ANE culture and still thinks it has any affect on modernity. I mean, how can you really think that?

Because I think the stories in the Bible were adapted from ANE culture; however, God used them as a teaching tool for His people. Much like a parable or a fable.

23-08-2012, 09:33 AM
(23-08-2012 09:16 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(23-08-2012 08:41 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  I have the same question toward someone who does know the influence of ANE culture and still thinks it has any affect on modernity. I mean, how can you really think that?

Because I think the stories in the Bible were adapted from ANE culture; however, God used them as a teaching tool for His people. Much like a parable or a fable.

Said God didn't use a very realistic way of communicating if it expected modern day folks to hear, understand, believe, and live it's message.

It's more logical to see that the Ancients created myths to understand why the sun comes up everyday and why bad things happen to good people and to codify rules to consolidate kingdoms. Those myths existed with little reality behind them, and it's quite a stretch to say that something like 200,000-300,000 years of existence went by without humans believing in YWHW as a monotheistic god until 2500 years ago some captives decided to put their brand on all the myths they could put their hands on. It confounds me how an intelligent person could look at the physical evidence and still come up with the fantastical belief that suddenly these ancient myths have a meaning that points to an otherwise unheard of god, and even though all the other gods these myths used to refer to are fake, suddenly now this god is real because we say so and for no other reason. I get how the masses believe because most don't know the truth. You have a great grasp of the reality of ancient myths, yet you won't let go of the thought that a Sumerian myth can inform you about a warrior god named YWHW, yet a Greek myth about Zeus doesn't teach you about god because it came from a different region, even though those myths have just as much physical validity as yours.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
23-08-2012, 09:36 AM
(22-08-2012 07:05 PM)TrueReason Wrote:  They offer a Phd in Scripture...interesting. Their website shows no "Phd in Scripture." What are doing your dissertation on? I would be interested in reading it.
In case you don't want to take Bucky Ball's word as fact:

http://www.hds.harvard.edu/academics/deg...hd-program
http://studyofreligion.fas.harvard.edu/icb/icb.do

Smartass

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
23-08-2012, 09:47 AM
(23-08-2012 07:12 AM)ideasonscribe Wrote:  Yeah, it's definitely true that I have yet to return to the subject of the resurrection.
It's one of those don't-start-something-you-can't-finish kinda thing.
Or any of the threads in which you made extraordinary claims, for that matter. As far as I remember, there have been three in total.

1. God is good, despite all the atrocities commited and commanded in the OT - Link
2. There is evidence for the resurrection of Jesus - Link
3. There is compelling evidence for Christianity - Link

It's been well over a month and you have yet to reply to one of them. Sorry, but I don't buy your excuses. Drinking Beverage

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
23-08-2012, 09:51 AM
(23-08-2012 09:33 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(23-08-2012 09:16 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Because I think the stories in the Bible were adapted from ANE culture; however, God used them as a teaching tool for His people. Much like a parable or a fable.

Said God didn't use a very realistic way of communicating if it expected modern day folks to hear, understand, believe, and live it's message.

It's more logical to see that the Ancients created myths to understand why the sun comes up everyday and why bad things happen to good people and to codify rules to consolidate kingdoms. Those myths existed with little reality behind them, and it's quite a stretch to say that something like 200,000-300,000 years of existence went by without humans believing in YWHW as a monotheistic god until 2500 years ago some captives decided to put their brand on all the myths they could put their hands on. It confounds me how an intelligent person could look at the physical evidence and still come up with the fantastical belief that suddenly these ancient myths have a meaning that points to an otherwise unheard of god, and even though all the other gods these myths used to refer to are fake, suddenly now this god is real because we say so and for no other reason. I get how the masses believe because most don't know the truth. You have a great grasp of the reality of ancient myths, yet you won't let go of the thought that a Sumerian myth can inform you about a warrior god named YWHW, yet a Greek myth about Zeus doesn't teach you about god because it came from a different region, even though those myths have just as much physical validity as yours.

That's a really fair and logical assessment, but my belief is that God planned it. He set it up like that.

As far as humanity, it wasn't until these myths came into existence that God was able to explain His plan to His chosen. This is when people had God's image imprinted on them and God chosen these myths as a way of explanation.

As far as the Zeus thing... yeah, you're right. But, this is where my faith comes into play. I have faith in the Christian God that He is the correct God.

23-08-2012, 09:53 AM
(23-08-2012 09:51 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(23-08-2012 09:33 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  Said God didn't use a very realistic way of communicating if it expected modern day folks to hear, understand, believe, and live it's message.

That's a really fair and logical assessment, but my belief is that God planned it. He set it up like that.

As far as humanity, it wasn't until these myths came into existence that God was able to explain His plan to His chosen. This is when people had God's image imprinted on them and God chosen these myths as a way of explanation.

As far as the Zeus thing... yeah, you're right. But, this is where my faith comes into play. I have faith in the Christian God that He is the correct God.

The idea that God planned everything in the world is sickening, disgusting, and borderline sadistic.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
23-08-2012, 09:55 AM
(23-08-2012 09:53 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(23-08-2012 09:51 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  That's a really fair and logical assessment, but my belief is that God planned it. He set it up like that.

The idea that God planned everything in the world is sickening, disgusting, and borderline sadistic.

Borderline?Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post