Ask a Basshead Anything...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-12-2013, 01:02 AM
RE: Ask a Basshead Anything...
(02-12-2013 12:47 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  I thought of a legitimate question for a self-proclaimed basshead.

Have you discovered the brown note yet?

Big Grin

Oh yeah. It's easy to play but it is incredibly difficult to play at sufficient volumes to actually make it work. Reason being that low frequency notes require much higher power levels to produce a given sound pressure and low frequencies begin at around 80Hz so... getting down to 7Hz with any volume is really tough.

To give you an example, I could play the brown note in my truck and it would shake the truck slightly but it wouldn't cause much feeling if you were near it. And that's on 6000 watts. So you'd need (probably) about 60,000 watts and about ten times the cone area I have in order to agitate the intestines of a human sufficiently. This is because in order to increase sound pressure by ~3dB, you have to double power or cone area.
I don't know what it would take to make the brown note work but I would reckon it to be somewhere around 100dB. I could probably get about 70dB out of it in my truck.

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-12-2013, 01:15 AM
RE: Ask a Basshead Anything...
Or you could go to Taco Bell.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post