Ask a Conservative

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-02-2012, 07:46 PM (This post was last modified: 16-02-2012 03:01 AM by Jeff.)
Ask a Conservative
Since joining this forum I've come to realize that the majority of members are political liberals, so in the spirit of other abuse-aholics such as Kingschosen (name does not stem from religious beliefs) I offer myself up as your local resource to question the mind of a political conservative.

I'll post my disclaimers here:

1. Keep it civil - I give it as I get it
2. Time is on my side. As you get older and wiser, you're likely to become more conservative in your thinking. Use this as an opportunity to learn why.
3. I may answer your question using material from other sources when I feel that the author has done a better job than I can of explaining something.
4. We live in a world dominated by liberal media, and therefore your personal views may appear to you to be just "normal" or "middle of the road." Please try to understand that your position is likely to be as extreme in the liberal direction as mine is in the conservative direction, hopefully illustrating where the real middle is.
5. My initial commitment is to try this for a week. If it feels unpleasant or pointless at that point I'll probably stop.

OK, over to you.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Jeff's post
15-02-2012, 08:01 PM (This post was last modified: 15-02-2012 08:28 PM by Seasbury.)
RE: Ask a Conservative
Jeff - I'm 45. I work for DoD. I'm a registered Republican and a fiscal conservative, but on social issues I'm a libertarian - which puts me at odds with the conservative crowd.

How does it feel to be essentially a log cabin Republican? What do atheist conservatives call themselves?

There's a big reason most atheists lean "liberal" - the party of Guns and Moses has clearly said they don't want them near them...

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-02-2012, 08:22 PM
Is a race to the bottom (in labor) the direct result of free markets? Where does it end?

Why are so many Republicans preaching trade liberalization yet they constantly want protectionist policies on pet (or even domestic) goods/companies?

I'm not as much worried about losing unskilled labor (or manual labor) jobs to China - I see it as a progression past the industrial age and into something greater. Those who can't adapt and "retool" are going to be left in the dust. What is our future as a nation (in terms of producing income)? Are you concerned or not concerned about losing unskilled jobs or even menially skilled jobs to overseas competitors?

Do you think the party (GOP) will split?
15-02-2012, 08:42 PM
(15-02-2012 08:01 PM)Seasbury Wrote:  How does it feel to be essentially a log cabin Republican?

Well I guess this is a good place to make a first point, which is to distinguish Republican from Conservative. I am registered as a Republican so I can vote in primaries, but I don't identify ideologically with the Republican party. In the last election I voted for Obama for two reasons - 1) McCain isn't a conservative and I won't vote Republican unless they run a Conservative; and 2) because Obama is black.

In much the same way that the Democrat party has aligned itself with special-interest groups as a vote-getting strategy, the Republican party has aligned itself with the religious right as a vote getting strategy. This has created the impression that conservatism is closely associated with religion, but that is a mis-impression. I believe there are many conservatives who would prefer that religion not be part of the discussion. It is rare to hear leading conservatives even discuss religion, unless the issue is religious freedom.

So given that I wouldn't identify myself as Log Cabin Republican, or any other kind of Republican, but I do fully support the Log Cabin's Sill Resolution, as follows:

"The core of the political philosophy known as conservatism is unbounded faith in liberty. This is driven by two beliefs: the power of the individual to self-direct his/her life and the proper role of government to protect and expand liberty, not to limit it. These dual beliefs validate gay and lesbian equality as sound conservative politics;"

This resolution offers an opportunity to contrast Republican and Conservative. I believe the real Conservative position on abortion is pro-choice because of our belief in "the power of the individual to self-direct his/her life." However Conservatives are usually associated with pro-life when it is really the Republican party position that is pro-life, again as vote-getting strategy to retain the religious right.

(15-02-2012 08:01 PM)Seasbury Wrote:  What do atheist conservatives call themselves?

Lonely? This sounds like the setup for a joke so I couldn't resist.

I don't know a better answer.

(15-02-2012 08:01 PM)Seasbury Wrote:  There's a big reason most atheists lean "liberal" - the party of Guns and Moses has clearly said they do t want them near them...

Agreed.
[+] 1 user Likes Jeff's post
15-02-2012, 09:16 PM
A link to the different beliefs on some of the main topics. Smile

Are all your views conservative? if not which are more liberal according to the aforementioned list.

One of my largest liberal views are the opposing health care systems. Have you ever been in a predicament where you or a loved one needed help they could not get or afford due to costly privatization of a particular treatment? What is your experience or thoughts on this and why? Do you recognize that the health (and also education) as a whole reflects the health and wealth of a country and determines what direction it'll go in?

Do you take the conservative view on same-sex marriage (you oppose)? Why? (I've only ever heard from a religious perspective so I am curious how an atheist would come to this conservative stance.)
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
15-02-2012, 09:31 PM
Why do you hate minorities and poor people? Big Grin

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
15-02-2012, 09:37 PM
(15-02-2012 09:31 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Why do you hate minorities and poor people? Big Grin

Because they knock my Bentley's front-end out of alignment when I run them over.
[+] 1 user Likes Jeff's post
15-02-2012, 09:44 PM
(15-02-2012 09:37 PM)Jeff Wrote:  
(15-02-2012 09:31 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Why do you hate minorities and poor people? Big Grin

Because they knock my Bentley's front-end out of alignment when I run them over.

Oh, are those the fuckers who have been doing that? I think I hate them too now!

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
15-02-2012, 10:00 PM
(15-02-2012 07:46 PM)Jeff Wrote:  Since joining this forum I've come to realize that the majority of members are political liberals...
Yah, there are a lot of smart people here.
[+] 1 user Likes mysticjbyrd's post
15-02-2012, 11:05 PM
I am economically conservative and socially liberal. I consider myself a pretty staunch libertarian. But, my questions:

1) How do you define "conservative"?
2) Do you identify closely with Christian Conservative? If so, see 2B.
2B) Why do you compromise your "religious" views and let your political views take precedence?
3) How do you feel about the legalization of drugs?
4) How do you feel abortion?
5) How do you feel illegal aliens?
6) How do you feel gay marriage?
7) What is your ideal tax code?
8) How do you feel about socialized government programs?
9) How do you feel about Affirmative Action?
10) Do you think people on government support should take drug tests?

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]