Ask a Conservative Catholic/Dominican

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-02-2012, 06:20 PM
RE: Ask a Conservative Catholic/Dominican
(12-02-2012 03:36 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  In the end I see that there is more evidence to suggest a loving personal god than there is against.

That's quite a claim. Let's hear it then, what evidence do you see to suggest a loving personal god?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-02-2012, 06:36 PM
(12-02-2012 05:43 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  
Quote:Can you explain why your experience of knowing Jesus personally is different from a Muslim who personally knows Allah? Or are they going to heaven because Jesus came to save everyone?
Interestingly enough I have never really had a personal experience with Jesus. And my opinion on people who say they do is that about 95% of those people are delusional.
And at TalladegaTom It has nothing to do with a feeling as I have never really had those feelings.
My view on the scientific method is similar to my view on chivalry. Does it exist and is it the way it's supposed to be? yes. Was/is it wildly practised? no. I believe that the further away you get from math the less used the scientific method. Just look at global warming at the moment it seems the only consensus they are making is that the world is getting warmer.

The fact that I consider myself more of a historian than a scientist means I tend to start with a reason and then try to find evidence for said reason. since objectivity in history is almost impossible.

also Allah is the same God as mine so it is perfectly possible for a Muslim to have a religious experience. I treat Muslims and Jews the same as other Christians in that they have the truth and they have just Bastardized it.

Going to church now be back in an hour or two.

Enjoy your Jesus Juice and Crackers! Big Grin

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 3 users Like Erxomai's post
12-02-2012, 06:40 PM
(12-02-2012 06:36 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(12-02-2012 05:43 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  
Quote:Can you explain why your experience of knowing Jesus personally is different from a Muslim who personally knows Allah? Or are they going to heaven because Jesus came to save everyone?
Interestingly enough I have never really had a personal experience with Jesus. And my opinion on people who say they do is that about 95% of those people are delusional.
And at TalladegaTom It has nothing to do with a feeling as I have never really had those feelings.
My view on the scientific method is similar to my view on chivalry. Does it exist and is it the way it's supposed to be? yes. Was/is it wildly practised? no. I believe that the further away you get from math the less used the scientific method. Just look at global warming at the moment it seems the only consensus they are making is that the world is getting warmer.

The fact that I consider myself more of a historian than a scientist means I tend to start with a reason and then try to find evidence for said reason. since objectivity in history is almost impossible.

also Allah is the same God as mine so it is perfectly possible for a Muslim to have a religious experience. I treat Muslims and Jews the same as other Christians in that they have the truth and they have just Bastardized it.

Going to church now be back in an hour or two.

Enjoy your Jesus Juice and Crackers! Big Grin

Harsh.
(12-02-2012 05:43 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  My view on the scientific method is similar to my view on chivalry. Does it exist and is it the way it's supposed to be? yes. Was/is it wildly practised? no. I believe that the further away you get from math the less used the scientific method. Just look at global warming at the moment it seems the only consensus they are making is that the world is getting warmer.

I don't believe you actually understand the scientific method. Or the global warming/climate change controversy, which is almost entirely political, not scientific.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
12-02-2012, 07:14 PM
(12-02-2012 06:40 PM)Chas Wrote:  I don't believe you actually understand the scientific method. Or the global warming/climate change controversy, which is almost entirely political, not scientific.

I fully agree.

They never have or use a method. It is always their interpretation or some intangible thing that cannot stand on its own beyond hypothesis.

It's all in your head, because there is no other place it could be.
12-02-2012, 07:23 PM
To Talladega, I just checked and you're right I didn't know what the scientific method was. Not that I didn't use it however. It turns out that I do regularly use the scientific method I just didn't realize that was what it was called. sorry for the confusion.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
12-02-2012, 07:28 PM
(12-02-2012 07:23 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  To Talladega, I just checked and you're right I didn't know what the scientific method was. Not that I didn't use it however. It turns out that I do regularly use the scientific method I just didn't realize that was what it was called. sorry for the confusion.

Well great! Good on you for looking it up.
Now that you know what The Scientific Method is called and hopefully how it works, how did you apply it to your god idea and how did it confirm that belief?

It's all in your head, because there is no other place it could be.
12-02-2012, 07:56 PM (This post was last modified: 12-02-2012 08:27 PM by TarzanSmith.)
I will now try to answer some of the early questions.

First morondog
Quote:Perhaps you could start by delineating what a Dominican Catholic believes? Literal truth of the Bible? Free will? Was the inquistion a good thing? Does the loaf of bread and wine become actual human flesh and if so, how does this not freak you out?

Also, don't you guys have a few extra books in the Bible than the protestants? The ones the protestants refer to as the apocrypha and pretty much tend to ignore as far as I can make out
Dominican and Jesuit in the Catholic church is the same way that republican and democrat are conservative and liberal. In terms of the Bible yes we tend to believe everything in the bible but we still give leeway for various inaccuracies such as intent, style, translation, and complications of living at that time. The bible is not inerrant or infallible. Free will is a definite at least for me. I have actually more or less thrown out the idea of a God's plan theology. I tend to think of the inquisition as a necessary evil in much the same way as the CIA and the FBI. please note that the papal inquisition and the Spanish inquisition were two very different things. Yes we believe that the host and wine turn into the body and blood of Christ as every Catholic should (looking at nagoda). Why it doesn't freak me out I don't know mostly because I haven't actually noticed a change. So why do I believe it changes? Because it has once or twice throughout History.

jeff
Quote:Please define satan and give us a guide on how to distinguish the acts of satan from the acts of god. Please explain why god is worthy of praise and satan worthy of condemnation.
I'm sorry to say jeff but Satan is not really my area of expertise so I can't answer your question.

I will get back to free2011 and Chas in another 1 or 2 posts

Ludacris
Quote:Why does the name catholic sound like you need to go to the kin of group meetings that would traditionally begin with an introduction like this " hi my name is Ben and ... I'm a catholic" ?

Catholic actually is Latin for universal (I think). On a side note until I realised it would be to long I was going to make my User title "I'm a Cathaholic. don't worry I go to weekly meetings"

lilithPride
Quote:Have you been to Palestine to the sites of the crusades? You seem extremely infatuated by them I'm wondering how much study you've done.

actually my first time leaving the continent (unless you count Jamaica) will be this April when I leave to go to Kenya and Uganda for volunteer work. Although I would love to go. In terms of how I see the crusades. I tend to look at them in a positive light. I will go into more depth in another post as I think I could lump it in together with Chas' question and the Stephen Fry video.

Cufflink
Quote:Why is the Catholic Church against contraception? And how do you justify its position? I understand how reasonable people can differ on abortion, but birth control??? In a world of 7 billion people? Where uncontrolled pregnancies in the third world lead to poverty and misery?

An oft-quoted statistic is that 98% of Catholic women have used "artificial" birth control at some point. So the faithful aren't foolish enough to follow this teaching. Why hasn't the Church come around?
The main reason is that it is against our doctrine can I give a better answer than that. no not really, sorry. the fact that lots of people use birth control is irrelevant. The fact that lots of people like Justin Bieber and rap does not make his music good. Although I think that statistic is BS.

All right time to try to justify my belief in god.

first I think we should look towards an impersonal God before we look for a personal one. If we assume the conservative laws of science to be truth (although they might not be) and that the universe had a beginning (which it might not have). Then we must ask how is it that everything exists. I believe Hawkins has proposed the theory that a combination of gravity and the multiverse theory means that it could be possible for matter to spontaneously appear. I believe that this theory is treated by most scientist to have no more factual basis than a creator of some sort. Also it could be possible that black holes Destroy matter.
Although I haven't done any research on it it is also possible that the universe existed long before the big bang. but I believe the general consensus is that there is a definite beginning to the universe although I could be wrong. Interestingly enough Time could be finite. and that time will stop in the next 3.7 billion years. I don't know what this means or even how true it is as I got it of Cracked.com but that would suggest that the universe had a start.
since the universe is rational, although I think I just spent the past 5 minutes showing how it isn't, it would make sense that what ever caused the universe into being would also be rational. of course none of this points to a single God or multiple Gods or what in fact are we talking about when we say God just that something created the universe which we can call for the time being God.

will find proof of a personal God in follow up post.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
12-02-2012, 08:28 PM
I've heard the standard excuse for their antiquated stance on birth control in my school many times.

Sex is a gift from God with two purposes: the sharing of love between a husband and wife, and procreation. Since birth control deliberately blocks off one of God's purposes for sex, it is immoral.

Of course, you might as well say that food is a gift from God with two purposes: the enjoyment of eating and the consumption of calories for energy. Since Coke Zero deliberately blocks off one of God's purposes for food, it is immoral.
[+] 3 users Like Ben's post
13-02-2012, 02:06 AM
(12-02-2012 07:56 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  Cufflink
Quote:Why is the Catholic Church against contraception? And how do you justify its position? I understand how reasonable people can differ on abortion, but birth control??? In a world of 7 billion people? Where uncontrolled pregnancies in the third world lead to poverty and misery?

An oft-quoted statistic is that 98% of Catholic women have used "artificial" birth control at some point. So the faithful aren't foolish enough to follow this teaching. Why hasn't the Church come around?

The main reason is that it is against our doctrine can I give a better answer than that. no not really, sorry. . . .

If you can't give a better answer than that, then you really need to think a lot more carefully about why you believe what you do.

Why is the doctrine of the Catholic Church correct? That's what you need to decide, and I see no evidence you've even begun to think about that.

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
[+] 1 user Likes cufflink's post
13-02-2012, 05:04 AM
(12-02-2012 07:56 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  I'm sorry to say jeff but Satan is not really my area of expertise so I can't answer your question.

No problem. When I asked I didn't know that your age is 19. But you might want to give some more thought to whether you can look at an act, and discern whether to attribute it to god or satan.