Ask a Former Mormon

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
29-10-2012, 10:52 AM
RE: Ask a Former Mormon
(29-10-2012 10:48 AM)JDS Wrote:  I enjoyed reading your responses to the posed questions. I detect an attitude lately that Mormonism is somehow crazier than other religions and I do not know what to make of that. I mean, if one believes in a supernatural being who created everything, had a son born of a virgin, who walked on water, raised the dead, and was resurrected from death to live eternally, and all was done to give everlasting life to those who believe, and everlasting torture to those who do not; then why is it such a stretch to believe that said God sent an angel to talk to a 19th Century American?

I think there is some bigotry towards Mormons that comes mostly from other Christians, but I also see it from atheists who think Mormonism is somehow wackier than other religions.

Do you think Mormons get more ridicule than other religions? Personally, I think all religions are totally off the wall, none more than any other.

I would assert that the Mormon beliefs are much sillier than Christians' beliefs.
Not necessarily crazier or wackier, but really, truly sillier.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
29-10-2012, 11:20 AM
Wren, thanks for starting this, can't wait to learn. Already have actually, I had the same impression that Girly had. I've only gotten the 'Convert a Christian' spiel. They didn't know I wasn't a Christian as is 99% of the people living in my area. On their second visit I answered the door in my underwear. The third time I answered in nothing but a towel and invited them in for supper. They didn't stay long and never returned. Other than these brief encounters (get it?) all of my knowledge comes from the media, which I realize is usually not exactly accurate, but I don't know what to ask.

(29-10-2012 10:48 AM)JDS Wrote:  I enjoyed reading your responses to the posed questions. I detect an attitude lately that Mormonism is somehow crazier than other religions and I do not know what to make of that. I mean, if one believes in a supernatural being who created everything, had a son born of a virgin, who walked on water, raised the dead, and was resurrected from death to live eternally, and all was done to give everlasting life to those who believe, and everlasting torture to those who do not; then why is it such a stretch to believe that said God sent an angel to talk to a 19th Century American?

I think there is some bigotry towards Mormons that comes mostly from other Christians, but I also see it from atheists who think Mormonism is somehow wackier than other religions.

Do you think Mormons get more ridicule than other religions? Personally, I think all religions are totally off the wall, none more than any other.

I would say yes, they deserve a but more ridicule for coming into existence in an era when scientific discoveries, and factual information made their irrational beliefs nothing short of jaw-dropping. When most religions made their outrageous claims science hadn't even produced evidence that humans were not at the center of the universe, and therefore the most important thing to (the) god/s.

Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
29-10-2012, 12:17 PM
As one former Mormon to another I'd like to ask if you ever believed in the "Three Nephites"?

I ran across this folklore at an early age and was quite fascinated by it. Three guys running around the globe since the time of Christ doing good deeds and protecting the saints like super heroes. Flex To a kid who loved comic books, this was right up my alley! Who needed the made up X-men when we had the real "never taste of death" trio?

I did loose interest in them as I got older mainly because I don't think it was ever part of any other official church doctrine. Many members still seem to be ardent believers.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Grassy Knoll's post
29-10-2012, 12:43 PM (This post was last modified: 29-10-2012 02:04 PM by Aseptic Skeptic.)
(29-10-2012 10:52 AM)Chas Wrote:  

I would assert that the Mormon beliefs are much sillier than Christians' beliefs.
Not necessarily crazier or wackier, but really, truly sillier.

Not trying to tread on someone else's thread here, but I live in Salt Lake City, I've grown up with this religion and almost married into it just this year, I can maybe clear up a little of these questions.

First, Mormons are Christians. Sure, non-Mormon Christians have an issue with that, but Mormons teach from the bible, believe in Jesus, and hold the 4 Gospels as an extremely big part of their faith (along with all the rest of the bible too). It is the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, after all - Jesus is right there in the name.

It's just that Mormons have one extra book, and all the trappings that come with it, in addition to the bible.

So what JDS said about believing in the virgin birth, walking on water, etc., being just as crazy as angels talking to a 19th century guy is not really applicable, because Mormons believe in all that bible stuff, making them just as wacky as every other Christian AND Mormons believe all the extra stuff, just as wacky, in the Book of Mormon too, which means Mormons have a double-scoop of wacky.

In that sense, yes, the wacky stuff taught in the Mormon faith is more wacky than the rest of Christianity because it's wacky x2.

Furthermore, we may or may not believe there was a Moses leading some Hebrews, it's really hard to prove either way. We may or may not believe Abraham almost killed his son, it's really hard to prove either way. Some bible stuff is easy to disprove, like the great flood. Much of it is sooooooo ancient that it really can't be proven or disproved.

However, much of what the Book of Mormon says can easily be disproved. Stuff like the giant cities of stone with steel industries dotting the American continent(s) 2,000 years ago. Not even Mormon archaeologists have found a shred of real evidence for any of it. And the Pearl of Great Price fiasco was just laughable (the one real, observable thing that Joseph Smith magically translated from Egyptian was, later, actually translated via. the Rosetta Stone and found to have nothing to do with what Smith pretended it was about).

And yes, many non-Mormon Christians do ridicule the Mormons more than they ridicule each other (for instance, the Baptists talk way more trash about Mormons than they do about Methodists). Maybe it's because of this extra scoop of Mormon wacky that all the rest of Christianity considers to be apostasy.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 4 users Like Aseptic Skeptic's post
29-10-2012, 12:44 PM
First of all, welcome to the forum! Thanks for your articulate posts and for starting this thread. I'm really looking to forward to seeing what you have say.

A good friend of mine is an ex-Mormon. He did his mission in France, got married, and had two kids, all the time trying to deny his homosexuality. Today he's divorced, out of the church (excommunicated, actually), and much happier. He's still extremely close to his family--five grandkids and counting--and his children seem to accept him for who he is. But when his son and daughter were married, he wasn't allowed to attend the temple ceremonies. Sad. Anyway, I've learned a lot about Mormonism from him, but I still have questions. So for starters:

1. Is it true that Mormons believe that God has an actual physical human body?

2. What's with the Planet Kolob?

3. How do Mormons respond to such scientific criticisms as the fact that DNA evidence shows Native Americans do not originate from the Middle East, or that linguists have never heard of "Reformed Egyptian"?

4. Have you seen "The Book of Mormon"? Smile (I saw it yesterday. In a word: meh.)

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
29-10-2012, 10:07 PM
(29-10-2012 10:02 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Well at least you would've dodged a bullet there had you stayed in the Church, I imagine that being with an ex-wife and a wife for time and all eternity would pretty much qualify as Hell.

Agreed and agreed.
29-10-2012, 10:08 PM
(29-10-2012 10:29 AM)vanilla Wrote:  Wrenekape- right now I just want to say how very cool that you started this thread! I'm interested in reading it and may ask you some questions myself.

Thanks. I'll do the best I can.
29-10-2012, 10:15 PM
Do you believe there are modern day Danites still active today?

Did you believe you would be populating your own celestial planet one day?

What did you think of Fundamentalist Christians who think Mormonism is a cult?

Did you ever get baptized for the dead?

When you joined the temple, did you have to give "death oaths" similar to what Freemasons do in their ceremonies?

Did you really believe the Ten Lost Tribes of Israel lived in Missouri?

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
29-10-2012, 10:18 PM
(29-10-2012 10:48 AM)JDS Wrote:  Do you think Mormons get more ridicule than other religions? Personally, I think all religions are totally off the wall, none more than any other.

Yes, I do think Mormons get more ridicule, and deservedly so. If you want a perfect example, take a look at Seth's "Magic Mormon Underwear" video. 100% true.

But I also think that Mormons are erroneously ridiculed. The best example of that is the whole "Are Mormons Christians?" bit. People get into pretty lengthy debates about this, but the bottom line is this: If the definition of a Christian is the belief that Christ, the son of God, came to earth, suffered and was crucified for our sins so that we may return to live with God, and that this is the only way to return to God, then yes, Mormons fit the bill.
29-10-2012, 10:23 PM
(29-10-2012 12:17 PM)Grassy Knoll Wrote:  As one former Mormon to another I'd like to ask if you ever believed in the "Three Nephites"?

I ran across this folklore at an early age and was quite fascinated by it. Three guys running around the globe since the time of Christ doing good deeds and protecting the saints like super heroes. Flex To a kid who loved comic books, this was right up my alley! Who needed the made up X-men when we had the real "never taste of death" trio?

I did loose interest in them as I got older mainly because I don't think it was ever part of any other official church doctrine. Many members still seem to be ardent believers.

Ahhhhh, the Three Nephites. Of course I believed it! There was actually a book in one of my apartments on my mission, written obviously by a member, detailing "true" stories of mysterious people who would appear and do wonderful things and then disappear in the night. Ohhh, man.
[+] 2 users Like wrenekape's post