Ask a Former Mormon

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
13-11-2012, 05:22 PM
RE: Ask a Former Mormon
(10-11-2012 10:10 PM)wrenekape Wrote:  
(10-11-2012 08:58 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  So how do we know whether or not we are living under a dead person, or the real god? Consider
To Mormons it is one and the same. This God, our (humanity's) God, the God of the universe we now live in, used to be mortal just like us. Through his faith and his righteousness he died, was resurrected, and attained the highest level of heaven, and therefore became a God himself with his own universe, our universe. And one day, if we're faithful, the exact same can happen to us. But nowhere in Mormon doctrine does it say anything specific about the women, just that they will be married to these men who become gods. Mormons believe in a Heavenly Mother, but other than that, no information has been shared. It is strictly forbidden to even bring it up. People have been excommunicated for speculating on Heavenly Mother in writing. Censored . The explanation I always heard was that God has so much respect and love for his wife that he doesn't want people to know much about her to protect her from all the profanities and "taking the name of [her] in vain" that is so rife with humans. We know absolutely nothing out of respect. It's absurd.
Wait how did he conjure this up in the 1800s. Multiple universes
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-11-2012, 05:24 PM
(13-11-2012 05:22 PM)Diablo666 Wrote:  
(10-11-2012 10:10 PM)wrenekape Wrote:  To Mormons it is one and the same. This God, our (humanity's) God, the God of the universe we now live in, used to be mortal just like us. Through his faith and his righteousness he died, was resurrected, and attained the highest level of heaven, and therefore became a God himself with his own universe, our universe. And one day, if we're faithful, the exact same can happen to us. But nowhere in Mormon doctrine does it say anything specific about the women, just that they will be married to these men who become gods. Mormons believe in a Heavenly Mother, but other than that, no information has been shared. It is strictly forbidden to even bring it up. People have been excommunicated for speculating on Heavenly Mother in writing. Censored . The explanation I always heard was that God has so much respect and love for his wife that he doesn't want people to know much about her to protect her from all the profanities and "taking the name of [her] in vain" that is so rife with humans. We know absolutely nothing out of respect. It's absurd.
Wait how did he conjure this up in the 1800s. Multiple universes
The idea is quite ancient and occurs in Greek and Indian philosophies and religions.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-11-2012, 05:31 PM
(13-11-2012 05:22 PM)Diablo666 Wrote:  Wait how did he conjure this up in the 1800s. Multiple universes

Easy.

God created our universe. That's one universe. Soon I will be a god. As a god, I will create a universe of my own. That makes two universes. Presto! Multiple universes.

It's not like he worked out the physics of how multiple universes could coexist, or what would happen if Walter hops over to the other universe to steal Walternate's Peter...

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
24-11-2012, 08:11 AM
Did/do you feel obligated to the pre or post 1990 temple oaths/covenants?
25-11-2012, 08:38 PM
(24-11-2012 08:11 AM)HealingApostate Wrote:  Did/do you feel obligated to the pre or post 1990 temple oaths/covenants?
Hey HealingApostate,

Sorry for the delayed reply. I don't feel obligated to any of it presently despite the "you promise never to reveal" blah blah blah that is coaxed out of extreme duress. As far as the blood oaths go, they were removed in 1990 and I went to the temple in 1994, but when I heard about them, I was horrified, as I well should have been. It was a big step in the right direction for me. When suicide is something you've seriously considered, hearing that part of your temple covenants used to contain suicide moves is eviscerating.
03-12-2012, 10:17 AM
(29-10-2012 10:48 AM)JDS Wrote:  I think there is some bigotry towards Mormons that comes mostly from other Christians, but I also see it from atheists who think Mormonism is somehow wackier than other religions.
I completely agree. Mainstream Christianity has a general set of beliefs that they accept. Mormons' set of beliefs include other things, like polygamy, so the mainstream rejects them. Oh wait, I forgot that some Mormons no longer practice polygamy.
03-12-2012, 01:24 PM
(03-12-2012 10:17 AM)cturner2020 Wrote:  I completely agree. Mainstream Christianity has a general set of beliefs that they accept. Mormons' set of beliefs include other things, like polygamy, so the mainstream rejects them. Oh wait, I forgot that some Mormons no longer practice polygamy.
More accurately, most Mormons do not practice polygamy. And by most, I mean more than 99% of them.

But then again, that's here on Earth. I have it on good authority that Heavenly Father still sanctions polygamy and many Mormons expect that polygamy will be an accepted practice in the Celestial Kingdom. Quite a few Mormons accept future (afterlife) polygamy, but quite a few don't, so I can't speculate as to how widespread this belief is (or is not).

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
06-12-2012, 10:24 AM
I would be interested to learn which one of those who are women, have gone through the sealing cancellation process.