Ask a (GASP) CHINESE COMMUNIST ! ! !

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 4.67 Average
29-03-2013, 10:16 AM
RE: Ask a (GASP) CHINESE COMMUNIST ! ! !
(29-03-2013 10:13 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(29-03-2013 09:27 AM)HU.Junyuan Wrote:  As the economy develops, urbanization advances. More people are moving out of rural areas, seeking opportunities in the cities.

They don't have much money. They don't want to go back to the rural areas.

This is why I drew the parallel to the Industrial Revolution (Britain early 19th c).

Indeed similar.

History is spiral. It's up one level, similar and different. But indeed similar.

Want something? Then do something.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes HU.Junyuan's post
29-03-2013, 11:57 AM
(28-03-2013 11:14 PM)HU.Junyuan Wrote:  
(28-03-2013 01:51 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  Junyuan, earlier you said your mother (?) needed to be re-educated. Can you describe this process to us?

I didn't say "needed". It's not even quite "have to" because the main cause is not to get "re-education" which word I comprehend and understand that people from the west sometimes have an obsession with when they pass by a Chinese dude...

OK. Chinese Modern History 101.

In the 1950's, China set out to realize communism, which they thought and planned as that it would be done with in a short time, best a decade or so.

They achieved great things. They made horrible mistakes.

In the early 1960's, the climate was bad, natural disaster caused nation-wide famine, which was amplified greatly by man-made causes. Many died. Sigh ...

Not enough food in the countryside. Less in the metropolises.

The solution was to spread the city youth all over the countryside, especially those grain-producing areas. One, it was closer, therefore less cost and waste during the transporting and distribution process. Two, they were youth, they could help.

Mao said that this was a good thing, and that the youth could be re-educated by working, not like, but as peasants, in steel and temper indeed.

Now you can see the word "re-educate" is somewhat helpless, somewhat optimistic and somewhat chaffing.

My mother's story.

The leader said ' Go to the rural. It is a vast world, full of opportunities. ' And in the early 1970's The city was still hungry.

My mom then traveled about 516 kilometers in a heavily crowded train to the rural. Worked for 2 years as a peasant. Spent another 3 years studying, working and gradually coming to my city.

Life as a peasant (not farmer, not farm worker) was HARD at that time.

She grumbled more a lot over the hardship there. But she said she became strong and optimistic all the way along.

OK. Now, what about this 're-education' for you ?

My apologies for misunderstanding. I did not realize this would be a sensitive subject.
29-03-2013, 12:34 PM (This post was last modified: 29-03-2013 12:39 PM by HU.Junyuan.)
(29-03-2013 11:57 AM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  My apologies for misunderstanding. I did not realize this would be a sensitive subject.

Also my bad. And it's not that sensitive.

It's like mother lost a wallet because a thief picked her pocket and she was also not careful. Whereas people out of the family were told that all valuable stuff in my house was stolen under my mother's watch and that my mother was an open-eye blind. Those who spread the news either didn't know the situation well enough or bore ill intentions.

Now when people curious about the new came by, they often asked "how could your mother be so incompetent?" I couldn't deny it totally, since the news was true in some degrees. Yet I still felt offended and therefore explained with a temper. And they normally would say "Really? That's not what I've heard. I think maybe you could be braver and face the fact." And new guys repeated the process again and again.

So it's also my bad for showing my anger and impatience in some of my answers. But that's what I felt. Can't deny it.

Any suggestion, guys?

29-03-2013, 03:54 PM
(29-03-2013 01:41 AM)HU.Junyuan Wrote:  First, Taiwan is not a nation, not acknowledged by the U.N., nor by the U.S. It is a region.

You are biased because you feel the Taiwanese are Chinese, and I am biased because I lived in Taiwan a while and like Taiwan. But it's worth noting that Taiwan, the RoC, does meet all criteria for a nation. Meaning that it has a national identity and culture distinct from that of the PRC and mainland Chinese culture. You can also make a good case that it is a country since it is self-ruled by its own elected government, has its own military, its own currency, and has a well-defined territory. It even maintains diplomatic relations with other countries and has extensive trade with the PRC, Japan, S. Korea, the EU, and the US, just for a start.

Taiwan was recognized by the US up until the late 70s/early 80s when the US switched to backing the PRC because it was more economically and politically advantageous, that is Henry Kissinger thought he could wring more money out of the PRC than he could out of the RoC.

So Taiwan is a nation, and it is arguably a country, albeit an unrecognized one. Now, if you have an opinion as to whether it should be a nation/country, well, that's a different matter.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
[+] 3 users Like Phaedrus's post
29-03-2013, 04:03 PM
(29-03-2013 12:34 PM)HU.Junyuan Wrote:  
(29-03-2013 11:57 AM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  My apologies for misunderstanding. I did not realize this would be a sensitive subject.

Also my bad. And it's not that sensitive.

It's like mother lost a wallet because a thief picked her pocket and she was also not careful. Whereas people out of the family were told that all valuable stuff in my house was stolen under my mother's watch and that my mother was an open-eye blind. Those who spread the news either didn't know the situation well enough or bore ill intentions.

Now when people curious about the new came by, they often asked "how could your mother be so incompetent?" I couldn't deny it totally, since the news was true in some degrees. Yet I still felt offended and therefore explained with a temper. And they normally would say "Really? That's not what I've heard. I think maybe you could be braver and face the fact." And new guys repeated the process again and again.

So it's also my bad for showing my anger and impatience in some of my answers. But that's what I felt. Can't deny it.

Any suggestion, guys?

Sorry to hear about your mother. This sounds like a difficult situation. I'm not sure I would know how to handle that. I would probably defend my mother. But our culture is rather different here. When it comes to family here many people feel family is a priority over community or nation.

I hope everything works out ok for you and your mother. Did you lose much in the theft?
[+] 1 user Likes Cardinal Smurf's post
29-03-2013, 06:35 PM
(29-03-2013 09:27 AM)HU.Junyuan Wrote:  
(29-03-2013 07:25 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Housing prices are bad because there are more rich people and so the really nice houses have higher demand which means their price goes up, but then when the price goes up the rich people can't afford them and so must go to the otherwise below their price range housing which then increases the demand in that area forcing the price up so these rich people can then afford it but then it puts the people that use to be able to afford those houses in a position where they must look at cheaper houses which pushes those prices up etc.. etc.. etc.. aka, the solution to all housing problems is not build more affordable housing, it's build more affordable housing for rich people.

That's the cause here anyway.

God damn I should be running this country.

Applaud for your time and effort in the analysis and reasoning.

Yet the situation is different.

As the economy develops, urbanization advances. More people are moving out of rural areas, seeking opportunities in the cities.

They don't have much money. They don't want to go back to the rural areas.

This is called rigid demand, considered as hotbeds for profits, and therefore avidly pursued by bloodshot-eye capital both nation-owned and private as well as international hot money.

Feel liking trying again?

I was talking about my country, not China.

Anyway, if people are moving to the city from the rural areas (nothing new, this happened in Western countries ages ago) then the general principle of building affordable housing still applies.
Also rigid demand doesn't apply to the housing market.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
29-03-2013, 10:07 PM
(29-03-2013 03:54 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:  
(29-03-2013 01:41 AM)HU.Junyuan Wrote:  First, Taiwan is not a nation, not acknowledged by the U.N., nor by the U.S. It is a region.

You are biased because you feel the Taiwanese are Chinese, and I am biased because I lived in Taiwan a while and like Taiwan. But it's worth noting that Taiwan, the RoC, does meet all criteria for a nation. Meaning that it has a national identity and culture distinct from that of the PRC and mainland Chinese culture. You can also make a good case that it is a country since it is self-ruled by its own elected government, has its own military, its own currency, and has a well-defined territory. It even maintains diplomatic relations with other countries and has extensive trade with the PRC, Japan, S. Korea, the EU, and the US, just for a start.

Taiwan was recognized by the US up until the late 70s/early 80s when the US switched to backing the PRC because it was more economically and politically advantageous, that is Henry Kissinger thought he could wring more money out of the PRC than he could out of the RoC.

So Taiwan is a nation, and it is arguably a country, albeit an unrecognized one. Now, if you have an opinion as to whether it should be a nation/country, well, that's a different matter.

I expressed what I thought. You expressed what you thought. And we were both blunt. Good thing.

As for the interesting concept of being Chinese, there are things that may surprise you. It's sometimes more of a civilization concept. You can also be Chinese (Taiwanese if this makes you feel a little easier) if you practice certain values. I can tell your more if your are interested.

29-03-2013, 10:15 PM
(29-03-2013 04:03 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  Sorry to hear about your mother. This sounds like a difficult situation. I'm not sure I would know how to handle that. I would probably defend my mother. But our culture is rather different here. When it comes to family here many people feel family is a priority over community or nation.

I hope everything works out ok for you and your mother. Did you lose much in the theft?

It was a metaphor. Sorry if it didn't sound like one. And thanks a lot for your kindness.

Indeed, it's about cultural difference.

But let's come back to the 're-education' thing. Just talking about the what happened, is what I said no the quite the same as what you've heard, which was mainly from the mainstream media I guess ?

29-03-2013, 10:30 PM
(29-03-2013 10:15 PM)HU.Junyuan Wrote:  
(29-03-2013 04:03 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  Sorry to hear about your mother. This sounds like a difficult situation. I'm not sure I would know how to handle that. I would probably defend my mother. But our culture is rather different here. When it comes to family here many people feel family is a priority over community or nation.

It was a metaphor. Sorry if it didn't sound like one. And thanks a lot for your kindness.

Indeed, it's about cultural difference.

But let's come back to the 're-education' thing. Just talking about the what happened, is what I said no the quite the same as what you've heard, which was mainly from the mainstream media I guess ?

I for one when I hear re-education tend to think of the horrors of the Soveit system of siberian gulogs and "mental asaylums" In eastern europe "Re-education" was practicaly a death sentence for all intents and purposes. Now if the chinesse system wasn't that horror show wonderful, great wouldn't wish it on anyone. But thats probably the basis for the misunderstanding. The 2 communist systems are so diffrent that it confuses outsiders that are used to 1 of them and not so much the other. For an eastern perspective of what re-education was in europe think Khmer Rouge in cambodia. Also please do not try to claim those offenses never happened if your particular brand of comunist ruling party did not participate in that level of extreme purging thats one thing but do not blame the idea on some kind of nebulose liberal media conspiracy.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
29-03-2013, 10:52 PM (This post was last modified: 29-03-2013 11:05 PM by HU.Junyuan.)
(29-03-2013 10:30 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Also please do not try to claim those offenses never happened if your particular brand of comunist ruling party did not participate in that level of extreme purging thats one thing but do not blame the idea on some kind of nebulose liberal media conspiracy.

No, I will not claim those things. And my knowledge of the things you mentioned is similar, or almost the same.

When we talk about purges, I also think of McCarthyism. I don't agree with the media conspiracy theory. I think of McCarthyism, which lead me to think that the Chinese, the Soviet Russians, Eastern Europeans, and Americans are basically the same type of human beings when the dark side of humanity prevails.

[Image: 6609c93d70cf3bc73d32e69fd100baa1cd112a96.jpg]