Ask a (GASP) CHINESE COMMUNIST ! ! !

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 4.67 Average
07-04-2013, 12:22 PM
RE: Ask a (GASP) CHINESE COMMUNIST ! ! !
(07-04-2013 12:14 PM)HU.Junyuan Wrote:  I said I reserved the right not to answer questions I didn't feel comfortable to answer.

You can feel free to draw whatever conclusion you want. And quite a few before you just did. Did I care?

Thanks for caring again. Smile

I do actually care, and that is the reason I am dropping the topic. People reading this thread can draw their own conclusions.

I know I was more confrontational in my most recent posts. I'm glad you're online to chat with us, even if I and others sometimes aggressively disagree. I've heard somewhere that we atheists can be prickly and confrontational sometimes Smile
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-04-2013, 12:28 PM
(07-04-2013 12:22 PM)BryanS Wrote:  
(07-04-2013 12:14 PM)HU.Junyuan Wrote:  I said I reserved the right not to answer questions I didn't feel comfortable to answer.

You can feel free to draw whatever conclusion you want. And quite a few before you just did. Did I care?

Thanks for caring again. Smile

I do actually care, and that is the reason I am dropping the topic. People reading this thread can draw their own conclusions.

I know I was more confrontational in my most recent posts. I'm glad you're online to chat with us, even if I and others sometimes aggressively disagree. I've heard somewhere that we atheists can be prickly and confrontational sometimes Smile

These statements sound much nicer to me. It's OK to be prickly and confrontational. But maybe too much for me in a single day.

Why don't we start from small places, from where we could build up trust?

Without trust, how can you discuss heavy issues like this without thinking 'that guy is brainwashed' or 'that guy is lying'?

Want something? Then do something.
07-04-2013, 12:39 PM
(07-04-2013 12:28 PM)HU.Junyuan Wrote:  
(07-04-2013 12:22 PM)BryanS Wrote:  I do actually care, and that is the reason I am dropping the topic. People reading this thread can draw their own conclusions.

These statements sound much nicer to me. It's OK to be prickly and confrontational. But maybe too much for me in a single day.

Why don't we start from small places, from where we could build up trust?

Without trust, how can you discuss heavy issues like this without thinking 'that guy is brainwashed' or 'that guy is lying'?

You are taking on a lot of people..it's a lot to deal with Smile I see from your Bio for your account here that you got pitched Christianity when studying in the US. Many of us here from the US have endured all our lives being pitched religion. Are there any aspects of Chinese society you would say are similar to religion in the US--unquestioned dogma or ways of thinking and the like?
07-04-2013, 12:51 PM
There once was an unquestioned dogma --- communism would soon be realized and the Chinese people would be better off than the British and the Americans --- in the 1950's under this belief people indeed accomplished wonders. Then the Famine came. Then the Cultural Revolution.

So when China reformed and opened up, there gradually was this new unquestioned dogma --- Money. Put it politely, 'it's the economy, stupid'

As you may know, China was a large atheist country, and she still is. Money is no god, although it indeed functions in magical ways.

Yet ancestor 'worship' is still very important in China. Thinking of the hardships our ancestors had overcome, it gives people a chance to think what they really need and how to become a person with contributions rather than merely consumption.

07-04-2013, 01:09 PM
Some of my questions will be outlandish, but they are based on rumors around the Internet. I've researched them all, but still want a direct response from ground-zero.

1) Aborted fetuses being cooked and consumed in China?

2) No laws pertaining to consumption of animals like dogs, cats, and endangered turtles?

3) How do you feel about the video that depicts a child being run over a couple of times in the street while dozens and dozens of onlookers ignore it? I'm banking on you having seen this video.

4) What exactly is China's goal by securing the borders? Are you prepping for war against North Korea or prepping for defense again refugees?

“We are all connected; To each other, biologically. To the earth, chemically. To the rest of the universe atomically.”

-Neil deGrasse Tyson
07-04-2013, 01:12 PM
(07-04-2013 12:51 PM)HU.Junyuan Wrote:  There once was an unquestioned dogma --- communism would soon be realized and the Chinese people would be better off than the British and the Americans --- in the 1950's under this belief people indeed accomplished wonders. Then the Famine came. Then the Cultural Revolution.

So when China reformed and opened up, there gradually was this new unquestioned dogma --- Money. Put it politely, 'it's the economy, stupid'

As you may know, China was a large atheist country, and she still is. Money is no god, although it indeed functions in magical ways.

"It's the economy, stupid" has worked well enough for us Smile Let me guess, you were in the US while Clinton was in office. I'm guessing China is still learning how to address the new disparity between the well off and the poor. In the West typically this is done through progressive taxation. Does China have that kind of tax system in place? This is just from wiki Smile , but it looks like most of the taxes come from VAT rather than income or property taxes. Is that the case? That seems odd to me in light of communist ideals.

I live in a community with a large college campus where I moved to go to school. Foreign students are really targeted by religious groups trying to proselytize. Usually the pitch is made by members of the religion from the same country as the target is like what you experienced. It's part of an organized effort by the churches to proselytize those who may feel a need to be connected to their culture when in a foreign land. I think it's kind of a low thing to do--kind of like preaching religion while at the same time passing out food aid to the poor, preaching to those suffering through famine, or preaching to people in prison. In all cases, they target people who they feel are vulnerable, lonely, or in need.
07-04-2013, 01:27 PM
(07-04-2013 01:09 PM)NoahsFarce Wrote:  Some of my questions will be outlandish, but they are based on rumors around the Internet. I've researched them all, but still want a direct response from ground-zero.

Rumors are OK to be asked about.

(07-04-2013 01:09 PM)NoahsFarce Wrote:  1) Aborted fetuses being cooked and consumed in China?

Not true.

But there were reports that after child births, placentas were used (cooked and consumed) by some crazy ladies in the dream of keeping young. Sheep placentas were also used in creams. I loathe both these actions.

(07-04-2013 01:09 PM)NoahsFarce Wrote:  2) No laws pertaining to consumption of animals like dogs, cats, and endangered turtles?

There are laws to protect endangered species, like turtles.

Normal dogs and cats are not included.

Most people never ate a dog or a cat. I didn't and won't feel like one.

(07-04-2013 01:09 PM)NoahsFarce Wrote:  3) How do you feel about the video that depicts a child being run over a couple of times in the street while dozens and dozens of onlookers ignore it? I'm banking on you having seen this video.

Indeed. Many times. That's very cruel. If I was there I would at least call the emergency ambulance.

But what made these onlookers so cruel and indifferent? Education? Natural lack of humanity? Brainwashing?

Here's a case with profound influence that might also be part of the reason.

The Case of Peng, Yu.

(07-04-2013 01:09 PM)NoahsFarce Wrote:  4) What exactly is China's goal by securing the borders? Are you prepping for war against North Korea or prepping for defense again refugees?

Don't know this news so well. But as the intensity rises, it might be a natural reaction to secure the borders.

07-04-2013, 01:36 PM
(07-04-2013 01:12 PM)BryanS Wrote:  "It's the economy, stupid" has worked well enough for us Smile Let me guess, you were in the US while Clinton was in office. I'm guessing China is still learning how to address the new disparity between the well off and the poor. In the West typically this is done through progressive taxation. Does China have that kind of tax system in place? This is just from wiki Smile , but it looks like most of the taxes come from VAT rather than income or property taxes. Is that the case? That seems odd to me in light of communist ideals.

I live in a community with a large college campus where I moved to go to school. Foreign students are really targeted by religious groups trying to proselytize. Usually the pitch is made by members of the religion from the same country as the target is like what you experienced. It's part of an organized effort by the churches to proselytize those who may feel a need to be connected to their culture when in a foreign land. I think it's kind of a low thing to do--kind of like preaching religion while at the same time passing out food aid to the poor, preaching to those suffering through famine, or preaching to people in prison. In all cases, they target people who they feel are vulnerable, lonely, or in need.

I was in the U.S. in 2003-2004, bathing in George W. Bush's glory. Smile

I am really a big fan of Bill Clinton. He was a great president, making the U.S. almost overwhelmingly competitive, and my country had some hard time during the 1990's when he was in office.

We have progressive taxation also and the bottom permission line for taxation has been kept rising little by little. But we don't have property taxes. So people are just crazy about buying houses and hope to make profits, making the housing prices far from affordable for ordinary city dwellers and people coming into the cities from rural areas.

About the religion thing, it brought me really a lot of confusion and disturbances. But it's always better to be an atheist by choice rather than an atheist by birth.

[+] 1 user Likes HU.Junyuan's post
07-04-2013, 01:47 PM (This post was last modified: 07-04-2013 01:55 PM by BryanS.)
(07-04-2013 01:36 PM)HU.Junyuan Wrote:  
(07-04-2013 01:12 PM)BryanS Wrote:  "It's the economy, stupid" has worked well enough for us Smile Let me guess, you were in the US while Clinton was in office. I'm guessing China is still learning how to address the new disparity between the well off and the poor. In the West typically this is done through progressive taxation. Does China have that kind of tax system in place? This is just from wiki Smile , but it looks like most of the taxes come from VAT rather than income or property taxes. Is that the case? That seems odd to me in light of communist ideals.

I was in the U.S. in 2003-2004, bathing in George W. Bush's glory. Smile

I am really a big fan of Bill Clinton. He was a great president, making the U.S. almost overwhelmingly competitive, and my country had some hard time during the 1990's when he was in office.

We have progressive taxation also and the bottom permission line for taxation has been kept rising little by little. But we don't have property taxes. So people are just crazy about buying houses and hope to make profits, making the housing prices far from affordable for ordinary city dwellers and people coming into the cities from rural areas.

About the religion thing, it brought me really a lot of confusion and disturbances. But it's always better to be an atheist by choice rather than an atheist by birth.

Property tax can lower home values, but the cost of home ownership just shifts a bit more to taxes than what you paid for the property. It's really the lending environment that is out of control. I've heard that to combat the real estate bubble in China, the government there was limiting second home purchases in order to reign in speculation. The real estate bubble in the US was due to over-aggressive lending as well.

Some states in the US have no property tax, and Texas being one of those states did not have the housing bust that much of the rest of the country had. This was mostly due to stricter lending standards in Texas than in other parts of the country. So I'm not sure adding a property tax would solve the problem necessarily.

EDIT:
My bad...Texas does have property tax. They are the state with no income tax. Point remains though that property tax wasn't the main factor in the real estate bubble in the US. Michigan for instance is one of the higher property tax states and was hit very hard in the real estate bubble.
07-04-2013, 01:57 PM
(07-04-2013 01:47 PM)BryanS Wrote:  
(07-04-2013 01:36 PM)HU.Junyuan Wrote:  I was in the U.S. in 2003-2004, bathing in George W. Bush's glory. Smile

Property tax can lower home values, but the cost of home ownership just shifts a bit more to taxes than what you paid for the property. It's really the lending environment that is out of control. I've heard that to combat the real estate bubble in China, the government there was limiting second home purchases in order to reign in speculation. The real estate bubble in the US was due to over-aggressive lending as well.

Some states in the US have no property tax, and Texas being one of those states did not have the housing bust that much of the rest of the country had. This was mostly due to stricter lending standards in Texas than in other parts of the country. So I'm not sure adding a property tax would solve the problem necessarily.

Property tax is like progressive taxation. China's current real estate bubble is not near bursting, lending standards are still loose. Which bank doesn't want to may easy money? Unless a lesson is taught in the hard way, property tax is the best option so far.