Ask a (GASP) CHINESE COMMUNIST ! ! !

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 4.67 Average
10-04-2013, 10:53 PM
RE: Ask a (GASP) CHINESE COMMUNIST ! ! !
the west tried to exploit the tiannamen square incident, however the west failed to notifiy their public that none of the protesters were calling for an end to the communist system in China. The west also only acknowledges cracking down on protesters if the government is not pro-U.S.

since when did the U.S. become concerned about human rights? Drinking Beverage
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes I and I's post
11-04-2013, 03:08 AM (This post was last modified: 11-04-2013 03:53 AM by HU.Junyuan.)
(10-04-2013 08:06 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Thank you for the thought out summary. I hope I haven't been too confrontational in my posts as that was not my intent. As a small piece of advice I would recommend the next time you do not feel comfortable answering a question you simply state "I do not feel comfortable answering this question" and leave it at that. The multiple emoticons do feel condescending and it has the effect of getting someones back up.

On to a question What do you and any friends you may have do for fun on a night out? Any particular places you try to visit food you eat ect...

Let's seek what common ground we stand on and reserve our differences.

And indeed we've found a good place to start:

Grills

[Image: p.aspx?u=v20_p13_photo_1304111655199485_0.jpg]

Ma La Tang

[Image: p.aspx?u=v20_p13_photo_1304111701106409_0.jpg]

Hot Pot

[Image: p.aspx?u=v20_p13_photo_1304111705064820_0.jpg]

I usually go to street vendors or those restaurants along the street, whose business are really great at night.

[Image: 1251157821265.jpg]

Want something? Then do something.
[+] 1 user Likes HU.Junyuan's post
11-04-2013, 03:19 AM
(10-04-2013 08:48 PM)BryanS Wrote:  Thanx for response.

I wouldn't compare Tiananmen with Occupy Wall Street. And characterizing the response by China's government as 'crude' is an understatement. A better comparison might be the Selma voting rights marches (kicked off on 'Bloody Sunday') during the US civil rights movement. (ref. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selma_to_Mo...ry_marches ). I say it is a better comparison because both produced very violent reactions by government, and both were fights for civil rights. Of course everything in China is bigger Smile And the Tiananmen protests resulted in thousands of injured citizens and hundreds of deaths.

You can use proxies to peak around the 'Great Firewall'. What about others who are not as knowledgeable or resourceful as you?

Again, I appreciate the thought you put into your most recent posting. I and others may seem focused on these 'heavy' topics, but these really are the issues that are the source of disagreements between China and Western governments, even if as ordinary citizens we think and worry about our daily lives more than what our governments do.

Is being a member of the communist party a career decision? What motivated you to join?

I really don't feel comfortable to discuss the free speech and censorship thing for the moment because we don't know each other well and the differences between us is indeed a grand barrier for such in-depth discussions. Let's reserve our differences and seek common grounds.

The CPC membership thing is really like the club membership thing. Because the CPC keeps recruiting elites in universities, corporations and other organizations, and urging her members to remain among the best, it's kinda cool if someone is a formal member, just like the club thing instead of a career.

11-04-2013, 04:55 AM
(11-04-2013 03:19 AM)HU.Junyuan Wrote:  
(10-04-2013 08:48 PM)BryanS Wrote:  Thanx for response.

I wouldn't compare Tiananmen with Occupy Wall Street. And characterizing the response by China's government as 'crude' is an understatement. A better comparison might be the Selma voting rights marches (kicked off on 'Bloody Sunday') during the US civil rights movement. (ref. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selma_to_Mo...ry_marches ). I say it is a better comparison because both produced very violent reactions by government, and both were fights for civil rights. Of course everything in China is bigger Smile And the Tiananmen protests resulted in thousands of injured citizens and hundreds of deaths.

You can use proxies to peak around the 'Great Firewall'. What about others who are not as knowledgeable or resourceful as you?

Again, I appreciate the thought you put into your most recent posting. I and others may seem focused on these 'heavy' topics, but these really are the issues that are the source of disagreements between China and Western governments, even if as ordinary citizens we think and worry about our daily lives more than what our governments do.

Is being a member of the communist party a career decision? What motivated you to join?

I really don't feel comfortable to discuss the free speech and censorship thing for the moment because we don't know each other well and the differences between us is indeed a grand barrier for such in-depth discussions. Let's reserve our differences and seek common grounds.

The CPC membership thing is really like the club membership thing. Because the CPC keeps recruiting elites in universities, corporations and other organizations, and urging her members to remain among the best, it's kinda cool if someone is a formal member, just like the club thing instead of a career.

Hu, Censorship is alive and well in capitalist nations, in todays afghanistan and Iraq are prime examples of capitalist censorship going on in those countries.

The U.S. is different because the U.S. government doesn't have to censor most of the time, because in the U.S. it is the private corporations that do the censoring. Here is one example among many: A man named Phil Donahue in the U.S. had a televeision show on a major corporate news network, his show was the most popular in it's time slot. Before the U.S. invasion of Iraq Phil Donahue was speaking out against the war, this man was fired from his television show because he was going against government views.

A more current one is Bradley Manning, Bradley Manning right now is on trial for exposing U.S. abuses of Iraqi citizens. Bradley Manning has been tortured and been on a long trial for his actions in exposing the U.S. abuses in Iraq.

The people on here will pretend that censorship doesn't happen in capitalist, but that isn't true so don't believe them
[+] 1 user Likes I and I's post
11-04-2013, 05:21 AM
(11-04-2013 04:55 AM)I and I Wrote:  Hu, Censorship is alive and well in capitalist nations, in todays afghanistan and Iraq are prime examples of capitalist censorship going on in those countries.

The U.S. is different because the U.S. government doesn't have to censor most of the time, because in the U.S. it is the private corporations that do the censoring. Here is one example among many: A man named Phil Donahue in the U.S. had a televeision show on a major corporate news network, his show was the most popular in it's time slot. Before the U.S. invasion of Iraq Phil Donahue was speaking out against the war, this man was fired from his television show because he was going against government views.

A more current one is Bradley Manning, Bradley Manning right now is on trial for exposing U.S. abuses of Iraqi citizens. Bradley Manning has been tortured and been on a long trial for his actions in exposing the U.S. abuses in Iraq.

The people on here will pretend that censorship doesn't happen in capitalist, but that isn't true so don't believe them

The 1984 type of censorship is easier to spot at. "You use a proxy. Censorship !" See. That easy.

Yet the Brave New World type of 'censorship' is harder to identify because it requires a continuous excessive feed of various information, which in other terms, is money-burning and not for players like us individuals. And it builds up barriers against people's communication between different cultures, which in an increasingly crowded planet like this truly brings omens.

So if we could not seek common grounds and reserve our differences, it's always good to use a little reasoning and think about whether it is this Brave New World thing going on.

Smile

11-04-2013, 11:50 AM
Ah, I've always wanted this opportunity, but I don't have thousands of dollars to shell out for a trip to China. If I had a question to ask about China, I'd have to ask two things (forgive me if these have been asked before):

1. What is the general populous' attitude towards the United States? I want to hear from someone who doesn't have a bias towards the US because they live here. A genuine outside perspective.

2. What's the culture like in terms of entertainment? Is it similar to the Western world or is there another aspect to life there that we kind of lack here?

On a side note, the food in the "Grills" image looks delicious.

Semper requiremus veritatis.
11-04-2013, 10:15 PM
Ask a (GASP) CHINESE COMMUNIST ! ! !
Junyuan, have you ever traveled outside of China?
12-04-2013, 01:02 AM (This post was last modified: 12-04-2013 10:25 PM by HU.Junyuan.)
(11-04-2013 11:50 AM)FrostyMan Wrote:  Ah, I've always wanted this opportunity, but I don't have thousands of dollars to shell out for a trip to China. If I had a question to ask about China, I'd have to ask two things (forgive me if these have been asked before):

1. What is the general populous' attitude towards the United States? I want to hear from someone who doesn't have a bias towards the US because they live here. A genuine outside perspective.

I always want to write better answers to get more fluent in English. Also good for me. Smile

What is the general populous' attitude towards the United States?

First impressions and a major part of the the general populous' attitude. The United States has a vast territory and abundant resources. Her technology is the world's best in many areas. Her education system is so good that we are justified to feel envy (college professors giving lectures to elementary school students, courses specially aimed at training pupils to become independent thinkers, the fundamental research being so well funded in universities). We have every right to be jealous about her legal system (Harvard lawyers, tenure Supreme Court Justices, so gorgeous !). Also the standards of living in the states is wonderful (parks around the corner, ovens, dish washers, the Hollywood stars, the NBA stars). And she has brilliant people like Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln, Roosevelt, numerous Nobel Prize winners and admirable entrepreneurs like Bill Gates. Beautiful things that I can go on and on and on.

And there's also the belief and God thing. God is so a resplendent idea, sorry, ideal for the Chinese! Many of us Chinese now have no faith and worship only money. That's just ugly. Behold mortals, the salvation is coming. (a little innuendo is included.)

When China reformed and opened up in the early 1980's these impressions got spread out like wildfire. Due to the lack of positive information about the U.S. and the great disappointment caused by the Cultural Revolution, the generation of the new leadership of China now, back then just grabbed onto such heavenly hope that by following the exact way the Americans did, we Chinese people would definitely pull ourselves out of misery and stand hand in hand, shoulder by shoulder with the Americans in a harmoniousness world.

Then we listened to the promises the States made, watched the Gulf war, the Afghanistan war, the Iraqi war, the Arab spring, and still looking at the changes of people's lives in those places. We watched our regular container ship Yinhe being forced by the States to stop in international waters in 1993, being searched in Saudi Arabia, being proven innocent by the States, and being refused an apology "because the United States had acted in good faith on intelligence from a number of sources, all of which proved to be wrong". We watched our embassy in Belgrade being bombed "because the bombing instructions were based on an outdated map". We watched how Russia do under Yeltsin's rule and how Russia do under Putin and Medvedev's rule. We kinda have a little of this feeling "it's still the economic robustness and military strength, stupid."

Despite the fact that our Chinese have a long history, we were like kids loving everything that had the "Made in the U.S.A." "Invented by the U.S.A." signs on it. Now, we grow up a little as a people, still loving those beautiful things, but have pick up the belief we once laid down in great disappointment, that we are still the last person we can depend on to achieve our own happiness.

I hope this answer could provide you with a glimpse.

(11-04-2013 11:50 AM)FrostyMan Wrote:  2. What's the culture like in terms of entertainment? Is it similar to the Western world or is there another aspect to life there that we kind of lack here?

What's the culture like in terms of entertainment?

It's similar, almost the same. Music, TV series, movies, liquor, dancing, online gaming, poker, pooling, you name it. Oh, our people just love Ma Jiang, especially with a little money involved in the game. Although gambling is forbidden by law in China except in Macau, but about Ma Jiang, feel free if money is only used as a little stimulus.

Good news. No age limit on drinking here in China. I tasted liquor (white spirit) when I was six. And I never like to taste that spicy stuff ever again. But grills with cold beers in a hot summer? Heaven.

BTW our TV series suck ! Especially compared to their American counterparts such as CSI, Prison Break, Friends, the Big Bang Theory, Lost and so many others I can name. Just as suck as our national soccer team.

12-04-2013, 01:13 AM
(11-04-2013 10:15 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  Junyuan, have you ever traveled outside of China?

I was in the States in 2003-2004 as an exchange student in the UW, Seattle. Wonderful stay there. Enjoyed the July 4th fireworks show.

The wife of my 68 mentoring professor said to me "you finally got out of China" when we first meet in the welcome party. I was somewhat confused then. Now I understand why she said that. It's OK to me.

Smile

17-04-2013, 03:39 PM
Just posting for comment...is this story accurately reflecting discussion on social media after the Boston attacks?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worl...n-bombing/