Ask a (GASP) CHINESE COMMUNIST ! ! !

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 4.67 Average
17-04-2013, 04:49 PM
RE: Ask a (GASP) CHINESE COMMUNIST ! ! !
(17-04-2013 03:39 PM)BryanS Wrote:  Just posting for comment...is this story accurately reflecting discussion on social media after the Boston attacks?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worl...n-bombing/

Nope. Not accurate enough from what I've seen. I searched Weibo, the reported mass social media. And the impression I got was that people were expressing their condolences and sadness over this tragic event, with currently 3 deaths and over 100 injured cases. Which country is better at offering transperancy or more effective at preventing bombing attempts is a question rarely discussed (1 or 2 out of more than 200 search results I ran down). And there were entries saying that the U.S. media was more humanitarian because they hid the personal information of the deceased and the injuried on their family's demand while the Chinese media disclosed such details unconcernedly.

Want something? Then do something.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-04-2013, 05:13 PM
(17-04-2013 04:49 PM)HU.Junyuan Wrote:  
(17-04-2013 03:39 PM)BryanS Wrote:  Just posting for comment...is this story accurately reflecting discussion on social media after the Boston attacks?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worl...n-bombing/

Nope. Not accurate enough from what I've seen. I searched Weibo, the reported mass social media. And the impression I got was that people were expressing their condolences and sadness over this tragic event, with currently 3 deaths and over 100 injured cases. Which country is better at offering transperancy or more effective at preventing bombing attempts is a question rarely discussed (1 or 2 out of more than 200 search results I ran down). And there were entries saying that the U.S. media was more humanitarian because they hid the personal information of the deceased and the injuried on their family's demand while the Chinese media disclosed such details unconcernedly.

Thanx for the comment. It's always good to take any report from media that would be difficult for a typical reader to independently verify with a grain of salt. Since I don't read Chinese, I thought I'd ask someone who does Smile
[+] 1 user Likes BryanS's post
18-04-2013, 02:30 AM
(17-04-2013 05:13 PM)BryanS Wrote:  Thanx for the comment. It's always good to take any report from media that would be difficult for a typical reader to independently verify with a grain of salt. Since I don't read Chinese, I thought I'd ask someone who does Smile

You are welcome. And that's why I am here, providing information from my perspective to interesting questions.

[+] 1 user Likes HU.Junyuan's post
19-04-2013, 06:43 AM
So... Japan.

You seemed angry earlier on in the thread about Japan, and I wondered how deep and widespread that anger is in China. I understand the source of this anger. I'm Australian, and my grandfather spent much of World War 2 in a Japanese prisoner of war camp. He rarely spoke about what happened there, though I know something of what he endured from historical books and documentaries. Something he did say about those times was that the soldiers hated the Chinese, and whatever they did to Australians or europeans any Chinese prisoners got much worse.

I've also travelled to Nanjing. I haven't spent much time there and when I am in China it's pretty much work work work all the time for me. I don't get much of a chance to chat with the guys over there, and although their english is very good there is a language barrier - it's hard to have casual conversation. I know something of what occurred there and wherever the Japanese invasion landed but as an outsider it is hard to judge how raw that feeling is.

What I wanted to talk about is I guess the way that Australia culturally has put what happened to our soldiers behind us. Australia was under threat from the Japanese advance, but never invaded and free in our homeland from the war atrocities of their soldiers. Our own soldiers including my grandfather as I say experienced some of what Chinese prisoners endured. For many years after the war the whole of asia was presented to a fearful and racist Australian public as "the yellow menace" - demons from the north who would take Australia from us if we didn't increase our population and expand our military. My grandfather was eventually able to put those events behind him, and Australia as a whole as that generation has died has largely put those days behind us - the racist undertones are still present in debates about "boat people" - asylum seekers, but to some extent Australia has accepted its place in Asia and set aside our own history with Japan. The younger generations have new connections with Japan through shared flim and television. In stark contrast to the Japan of those days, Japan to the west as a whole is now the home of Pokemon. It's the home of Akira, of evangelion. We've seen Japan expressing its growing pains and transition from those despotic days through its art forms and like a teenager we've seen it transition from a military threat to an economic threat, and then back to a state of being neither. I've raised my own children on a steady diet of films by Hayao Miyazaki and this is what people are most likely to think about in Australia when we talk about Japan. Sushi and anime.

You mentioned recent affronts by the Japanese government and officials as a source of renewed tension between China and Japan. I guess when I see that my instinct and perhaps the Australian instinct is to try and distinguish between the government and her people as we do with China and as we do with America. Perhaps I can even share a drop of empathy for an old man here or there who wants to remember his father the World War 2 soldier as something better than the world remembers the Japanese soldier, justified or not.

I guess when I look at China and America both dear to me and nations and people I feel a I know a little: I want to see peace and prosperity. I want to see confident mutually beneficial relationships. I want to see a world where the great nations of this world work not only to national interests but to the good of mankind. I don't want nations to fear each other and I feel like there should be no need for fear and distrust and violence, but instead for care and mutual respect and for citizens to know one another rather than relying on their government and diplomats to forge the bonds between nations.

When I turn to Japan I want those same things for her people. Although I have never travelled there I feel that I know something of her own internal struggle through the art she has shared with myself and my children. I feel that she has grown as a nation and that although she still suffers growing pains that she will be able to put her sins behind her one day if those she has wronged can one day do the same. I cannot comprehend the wound the Chinese national psyche of that invasion. I cannot, but I hope that one day China can find herself reconciled to her neighbour.

Am I a dreamer on this issue? Can China one day forgive?

I guess as I say this I think also of the wrongs done to China over hundreds of years, and I wonder has China forgiven or can China forgive the rest of us who have wronged her? ... and like you say being a nation in the progress of growing up after so many periods of oppression and suppression as she finds her feet not as a second class nation but as a confident modern economic power can China hold together without a common external threat to hold her people's focus?

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
19-04-2013, 09:10 AM (This post was last modified: 19-04-2013 09:16 AM by HU.Junyuan.)
(19-04-2013 06:43 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  So... Japan.

Am I a dreamer on this issue? Can China one day forgive?

Can China hold together without a common external threat to hold her people's focus?

Thank you for your kind wishes. I also want peace and prosperity for our countries, including Japan. And if the following conversation ever happened, the tension between China and Japan wouldn't be so intense.

Japan: I am so sorry for this many Chinese people died because of the Japanese invasion army and WWII. Three hundred thousand people died in the Nanjing Massacre, forty hundred thousand women were forced to be Comfort Women, and more women were raped, more men and children were slaughtered. These low-interest loans were the least I can do to help to ease the pain a little.

China: The memories of the painful past are still painful today, yet not that constructive for a better future for my people. Your long-term loans have been very helpful to me and I sent you many thanks through newspapers. The past is history already. I gave up the WWII indemnity, didn't I? You said sorry like the Germans did, and I forgive you like other western countries did to the Germans, because hatred breeds nothing but more hatred. Hand in hand, we can face a brighter future.

But no, that conversation was just in dreams. Instead, in reality, the following conversation happened.

Japan: What is that obsession of yours with those death toll numbers? My people live on an island full of volcanoes and frequently visited by earthquakes. My people had to expand their living space onto the continent. So they just had to enter China. What was wrong about that? Your people made poor use of the lands and resources there. And your people resisted my soldiers like mad people instead of welcoming a helping hand bringing in modern civilization and industrialization, therefore my soldiers naturally got angry. The Nanjing Incident was inevitable. And I loaned you so much money already. We should have gotten even by now.

China: Enter? Inevitable incident? How dare you ! And those were loans, not free money, and I paid them back, plus interests ! Forgetting the past is betrayal !

Like I said,

(29-03-2013 01:41 AM)HU.Junyuan Wrote:  During the 1980's the propaganda was that there were just a small bunch of miliarists that abducted the Japanese during WWII. The Japanese people were good-natured, peace-loving and innocent. Most Chinese people believed it. The Japanese was forgiven. Chinese government officially gave up the right to claim Japan's indemnity for WWII because it could do no good but to increase Japanese people's burden. There was little resentment, full of Sino-Japanese goodwill.

But after China opened up and Chinese people communiated more with the oridinary Japanese people, they found that the Japanese worship WAR CRIMINALS and the INVASION ARMY POPULARLY and PUBLICLY. They question or even DENY the Nanjing Massacre POPULARLY and PUBLICY. And this trend is not temporary but keeping being intensified.

The Chinese people felt they were fooled. So they were angry at this type of [beep] government propaganda, and angriER at the Japanese people as a whole.

So, this resentment is not an external threat used to hold the Chinese people's focus. And it is somewhat against the Chinese government's will, because more time granted to China and her development in peace means a better strategic place, isn't it?

Now I guess you could find out who is benefiting from muddying the waters, could you?

21-04-2013, 08:21 AM
Re: Ask a (GASP) CHINESE COMMUNIST ! ! !
There was an earthquake in Sichuan. You ok Junyuan?
21-04-2013, 11:13 PM
(21-04-2013 08:21 AM)Phaedrus Wrote:  There was an earthquake in Sichuan. You ok Junyuan?

The epicenter was 260 km from my city. I am OK. During the quake I ran down my apartment building with only my pants on. But lucky for me, nobody I know was injured.

[+] 2 users Like HU.Junyuan's post
23-04-2013, 12:07 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/23/world/...d=all&_r=0

Pollution in China has been mentioned a few times so I figured I'd share this story I saw today. Happy Reading.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
23-04-2013, 12:21 PM
(21-04-2013 11:13 PM)HU.Junyuan Wrote:  
(21-04-2013 08:21 AM)Phaedrus Wrote:  There was an earthquake in Sichuan. You ok Junyuan?

The epicenter was 260 km from my city. I am OK. During the quake I ran down my apartment building with only my pants on. But lucky for me, nobody I know was injured.

I trust you weren't going commando?

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
[+] 1 user Likes Logica Humano's post
23-04-2013, 12:25 PM
Ask a (GASP) CHINESE COMMUNIST ! ! !
(21-04-2013 11:13 PM)HU.Junyuan Wrote:  

I'm glad to hear that you are unharmed. I live in California where we also deal with earthquakes. The danger is ever present. Stay safe.
[+] 1 user Likes Cardinal Smurf's post