Ask a (GASP) CHINESE COMMUNIST ! ! !

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 4.67 Average
07-09-2013, 12:30 AM
RE: Ask a (GASP) CHINESE COMMUNIST ! ! !
@cjlr, I agree @HU.Junyuan's choice of wording in that 'salient line' was off. But, when taken in context, it's clear the point he was trying to make: "I have noticed this hypocrisy... I will still need depleted uranium AP shells to penetrate this hypocrisy".

He was saying Americans are being hypocritical for condemning China of doing the same thing Americans themselves do. Specifically, the condemnation in question is China's arrest of Xiabo. When I asserted that the US's treatment of Snowden is no different, your response appears to be "no contest", thus confirming that he WAS making a valid point. Therefore, I assume your comments that his post is "pathetic" and "asinine" is merely because you focused on that one particular sentence that was awkwardly worded and perhaps inaccurate. So, when @HU.Junyuan made a strong, valid point, your counter is to mock him for not being able to write perfect English. So, @cjlr, if flubbing a foreign language is really so pathetic, then I recommend you post your replies in Chinese. Surely you can write fluent Chinese, right? And I'll bet that even if your Chinese is awkward, @HU.Junyuan will try to understand your point and address the point, rather than call you pathetic.

BTW, my favorite US->Chinese hypocrisy was in June when Obama was harshly condemning the Chinese President for hacking US servers in violation of international law, and hours later it was leaked that the Obama administration had hacked Chinese servers too. But that didn't stop Obama from still claiming moral superiority.

China is, imo, less hypocritical about it. You don't see China running around condemning other countries for violating human rights. China is a super-power in their own right, but you don't see them proclaiming themselves the world's police and invading every country that does something they don't like. In the past 30 years I can't think of 1 country that China has attacked. By contrast, during the past 30 years the US has invaded and/or launched air strikes against the following countries, none of which attacked the US: Libya (multiple times), Grenada, Iran (even shooting down a regular, unarmed Iranian passenger jet flying in Iran's own airspace), Panama, Iraq (twice), Somalia, Bosnia, Haiti, Afghanistan, East Timor, Yemen, Pakistan. And that's not counting the effects of US economic blockades. When Madeleine Albright was confronted about a UN reported that the Clinton administration had killed 500,000 Iraqi children, she calmly responded that 'it was worth it'. Bush's adventure war has killed an estimated 1 million. Obama is killing scores of innocent civilians, including US citizens, with his constant drone strikes. China has executed a lot of its own citizens, as has the US, but the numbers are tiny compared to the number of people the US has killed.

So, I'll concede that China's abuses of power are in most cases more severe than the US's, and China's treatment of it's own people is harsh. Although for me, a human life is a human life, whether it's Chinese or French or American. So, although China has killed thousands of people, the US has killed millions. But at least China is honest about it, and unlike the US they let their citizens leave if they don't like adhering to China's rules, and once a Chinese citizen leaves China, he's safe from China's oppression. China has always let their expats live in peace whereas the US extradites its expats if they do something the US doesn't like (such as Snowden), or even launches a drone and just kills them (like al-Awlaki). Chinese dissidents have fled China on many occasions, including coming to the US, and subsequently leaked classified Chinese secrets, but I've never heard of China coming after them. In fact, the US praises and shelters whistleblowers from other countries that come here and release classified documents, but condemns other countries if they don't extradite US whistleblowers. And, did you ever hear of China doing something like downing the plane of a head of state (Correa) to try to get their hands on a Chinese dissident?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-09-2013, 06:52 PM
(06-09-2013 05:51 PM)frankksj Wrote:  And, remember, every other country in the world works like that, so if my position is extreme, then what you're saying is that every country in the world is also extreme—except for the US, which is the only reasonable one. So I've got the whole world on my side, as well as the UN human rights commission. Smile
Whole world and the Commission? Nothing that the U.S. army couldn't handle Tongue

(06-09-2013 05:51 PM)frankksj Wrote:  I'm sure there's a million things @chas knows way more than I do. I see posts all the time that go over my head, or that cover subjects I know nothing about, and I just pass over with commenting. I only commented on this subject because I know it very well. To me it's more arrogant that @chas said I was full of shit when the reality is he didn't even know what the facts were in the matter.
Welcome to the marvelous world where you can score points against skeptical, atheistic physics experts by knowing your social sciences Thumbsup

(06-09-2013 09:19 PM)HU.Junyuan Wrote:  The forum member E once had a thread saying that China is so not free that her government “house-arrested” and imprisoned her Nobel Peace Prize winner. I told forum member E and C in the thread that this guy is found guilty in a trial. I said that if E and C should ever have truly cared, then show me some evidence of petition, financial support or legal support for that prisoner. You can easily guess out what I eventually got.
That reminds me, I must apologize to the Chinese people. I had some Chinese students at school from Erasmus, tried to learn something from them. They were nice, but I didn't learn much. I think I mentioned human rights once or twice.
But since then I got a few feeds on Facebook on daily happenings in the U.S., both streets and politics. (stuff like Occupy Wall Street channel) I must say, U.S. is much more violent, corrupt and decadent than China, it has only much better propaganda. And with the recent oil frakcking technology (and Canadian tar sands) I'm not sure who leads in destruction of the environment. And political prisoners.

The only thing I ever hear from China is, when they export some toxic food and toys that need to be banned, or something extremely weird happens there, usually someone grows something extremely weird on their body. There's 1 billion people there, FFS. Weird things are bound to happen statistically very often.

But you might forgive me this little joke:
[Image: Chinese-traffic-jam.jpg]
ECONOMY
You're doing it wrong.

If you claim there are nuances to principles, there are no nuances to getting arrested or shot for disobeying the power.
The Venus Project
FreeDomain Radio - The greatest philosophy show on the web!
14-09-2013, 09:45 PM
(09-09-2013 06:52 PM)Luminon Wrote:  The only thing I ever hear from China is, when they export some toxic food and toys that need to be banned, or something extremely weird happens there, usually someone grows something extremely weird on their body. There's 1 billion people there, FFS. Weird things are bound to happen statistically very often.

That already is improvement. The image of the Chinese portrayed by the US media has already been upgraded from a stupid savage with a bald forehead and a fat long pigtail to thugs and sweetshop slaves making toxic food and toys. This is indeed improvement.

When the forum member C in this thread talked about the toxic food and toy thing with a strong emotion, I originally felt a little ashamed and uneasy because another forum member PM'ed me that someone he knows might be the victum of such fake and poor quality commodities. I was waiting to say sorry for some tragic stories, yet what I got in this thread was nothing much like "rational points" let alone "terse and deadly", merely same old mainstream US media stuff.

I am not sure whether to label it propaganda. But it is ironical enough for a dreamland which encourages independent thinking yet with all rights reserved for being stupid.

(09-09-2013 06:52 PM)Luminon Wrote:  But you might forgive me this little joke:
[Image: Chinese-traffic-jam.jpg]
ECONOMY
You're doing it wrong.

I got the fun if I understood it correctly.

Actually the Chinese economy today is much like Roosevelt's New Deal in the 1930s. Yet for Roosevelt, his new deal with the financial magnates stayed when US was in crisis and under his presidency. As for China, for the past 35 years, this is standard government practice; and for the next foreseeable 10 years, it is very likely to remain the same. I guess this is the really unsettling part of this "authoritarian" or "dictatorial" government.

Want something? Then do something.