Ask a Mormon

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-10-2013, 12:43 PM
Ask a Mormon
1. I am a former member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, or "Mormons".

2. I was raised a Mormon from birth.

3. I left the Mormon Church at the age of 18.

4. I was raised a Mormon in Virginia, but I now live in Utah.

5. My family is still active in The Mormon Church.

It is my pleasure to offer this forum my unique perspective and experience. I am willing and excited to answer questions about Mormonism. I am open to personal questions about my story.

In my experience, the average person's knowledge of Mormonism is vague at best. There is a great deal of deliberately false information available about Mormons which clouds the issue further.

If it is necessary for me to explain what a Mormon is, and give a basic overview of the religion, I will. Please post your replies and let me know if this is necessary. Our Atheist community is usually very well informed and skilled at research, so I am never sure if I am underestimating their skill.

Ask away!

Never let yourself believe that there are no errors in your perception, or that your perspective will not be improved if you identify and correct those flaws. -Aron Ra
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Dark Phoenix's post
20-10-2013, 12:54 PM
RE: Ask a Mormon
(20-10-2013 12:43 PM)Dark Phoenix Wrote:  1. I am a former member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, or "Mormons".

2. I was raised a Mormon from birth.

3. I left the Mormon Church at the age of 18.

4. I was raised a Mormon in Virginia, but I now live in Utah.

5. My family is still active in The Mormon Church.

It is my pleasure to offer this forum my unique perspective and experience. I am willing and excited to answer questions about Mormonism. I am open to personal questions about my story.

In my experience, the average person's knowledge of Mormonism is vague at best. There is a great deal of deliberately false information available about Mormons which clouds the issue further.

If it is necessary for me to explain what a Mormon is, and give a basic overview of the religion, I will. Please post your replies and let me know if this is necessary. Our Atheist community is usually very well informed and skilled at research, so I am never sure if I am underestimating their skill.

Ask away!

I would be interested in an overview from your perspective.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
20-10-2013, 01:05 PM
Holy shit, I thought it said ask a Moron. Honestly, that made me laugh so hard that I thought that.

Serious question: Your stance on Polygamy, Black priests and Moroni (sp?)

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
[+] 2 users Like Atothetheist's post
20-10-2013, 01:32 PM
Moroni - is that the plural of moron?
[+] 2 users Like englishrose's post
20-10-2013, 01:35 PM
Mormonism 101
The official name of the Mormon Church is "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints".

The church was founded by Joseph Smith. As a young man confused, by controversy in Christian America, he resolved to pray to god directly and discover which faith was true.

Joseph claimed that God himself appeared before him as the result of this prayer, along with his son, Jesus Christ. They told Joseph that no existing religion was correct, but that he would be the source of the truth, as delivered by God himself, to the world.

Joseph claimed to have visited with an angel named, Moroni, who led him to the location of a hidden set of gold plates. These plates contained the inscription of a book called "The Book of Mormon."

The Book of Mormon is a historical and religious record pertaining to the people of the Americas, anciently. It is a companion to the bible.

Joseph retrieved the plates and with the help of a scribe, translated the book into English.

The subsequent teachings written within the Book of Mormon, partnered with Joseph's now prophetic standing, was the basis for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.

The church is founded upon these basic principles.

1. God is but one of three gods, which form the "god head". They are separate entities. Jesus is literally the son of god.

2. There is no original sin. Adam alone pays the price for his fall. Each human pays the price for their own sins alone.

3. There are apostles and prophets with the power to reveal gods will, even in modern times. They obtain revelation for the members. This revelation can and will continue forever.

4. Miracles exist.

5. The Bible is the word of God, but only as far as it is translated correctly. The Book of Mormon is also the word of God.

6. The lost 10 tribes of Isreal will be restored one day, and will join Zion, or the kingdom of god on earth. This will occur on the American Continent, not in the old world. Jesus Christ will return for a second coming, and will reign personally upon the earth. The earth will then be cleansed with fire, and made into a paradise.

7. The freedom to believe in whatever you desire is unalterably necessary for happiness. No person should be compelled to believe anything, or to join with any church which they do not believe in.

8. The law should be respected and followed, even if you do not agree with it.

9. Be as moral as you can. Always be virtuous and kind.

The Church still exists today, boasting a membership of some 14 million worldwide.

That is as basic as I could make it, although I am sure it is not perfect. Feel free to ask questions.

Never let yourself believe that there are no errors in your perception, or that your perspective will not be improved if you identify and correct those flaws. -Aron Ra
20-10-2013, 01:44 PM
(20-10-2013 01:35 PM)Dark Phoenix Wrote:  The official name of the Mormon Church is "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints".

The church was founded by Joseph Smith. As a young man confused, by controversy in Christian America, he resolved to pray to god directly and discover which faith was true.

Joseph claimed that God himself appeared before him as the result of this prayer, along with his son, Jesus Christ. They told Joseph that no existing religion was correct, but that he would be the source of the truth, as delivered by God himself, to the world.

Joseph claimed to have visited with an angel named, Moroni, who led him to the location of a hidden set of gold plates. These plates contained the inscription of a book called "The Book of Mormon."

The Book of Mormon is a historical and religious record pertaining to the people of the Americas, anciently. It is a companion to the bible.

Joseph retrieved the plates and with the help of a scribe, translated the book into English.

The subsequent teachings written within the Book of Mormon, partnered with Joseph's now prophetic standing, was the basis for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.

The church is founded upon these basic principles.

1. God is but one of three gods, which form the "god head". They are separate entities. Jesus is literally the son of god.

2. There is no original sin. Adam alone pays the price for his fall. Each human pays the price for their own sins alone.

3. There are apostles and prophets with the power to reveal gods will, even in modern times. They obtain revelation for the members. This revelation can and will continue forever.

4. Miracles exist.

5. The Bible is the word of God, but only as far as it is translated correctly. The Book of Mormon is also the word of God.

6. The lost 10 tribes of Isreal will be restored one day, and will join Zion, or the kingdom of god on earth. This will occur on the American Continent, not in the old world. Jesus Christ will return for a second coming, and will reign personally upon the earth. The earth will then be cleansed with fire, and made into a paradise.

7. The freedom to believe in whatever you desire is unalterably necessary for happiness. No person should be compelled to believe anything, or to join with any church which they do not believe in.

8. The law should be respected and followed, even if you do not agree with it.

9. Be as moral as you can. Always be virtuous and kind.

The Church still exists today, boasting a membership of some 14 million worldwide.

That is as basic as I could make it, although I am sure it is not perfect. Feel free to ask questions.

I have heard (from sources that I am not really that sure of) that the mormons believe that God and Jesus are actually aliens and all the souls on earth are from Zolab and that is where Mormons go after they die. Is there any truth to those statements?

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
20-10-2013, 01:54 PM
(20-10-2013 01:44 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  I have heard (from sources that I am not really that sure of) that the mormons believe that God and Jesus are actually aliens and all the souls on earth are from Zolab and that is where Mormons go after they die. Is there any truth to those statements?

The Church believes that God and Jesus Christ are literally related, and are beings with both a physical and spiritual existence. Essentially, they have bodies like you and me. They believe that humans are are created in the image of god by virtue of actually being his "spirit children". We are the same species.

"Kolob" is the name of the planet that Mormons believe god lives on. It is the location from which he governs earth. We all originate from Kolob, and do not remember our former lives with god because of what they call a "veil" which obscures are memory, lest our earthly test become too easy.

Kolob is not our future destination however, since they believe heaven will be located here on earth, after Christ returns again. Although, that is only one of the heavens or "kingdoms" that are described. There is a hierarchy of kingdoms, and it is possible to go many different places after this life. The one most desired by members is known as "The Celestial Kingdom". In this kingdom, we will live in the direct presence of God and Jesus Christ and will be given a "mansion" to live in forever with our family members, assuming they also made it to that kingdom.

Does that clarify a little?

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Phoenix's post
20-10-2013, 01:58 PM
So what's this earthly test all about?

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
20-10-2013, 02:06 PM
(20-10-2013 01:05 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  Holy shit, I thought it said ask a Moron. Honestly, that made me laugh so hard that I thought that.

Serious question: Your stance on Polygamy, Black priests and Moroni (sp?)

I personally support the right of anyone to marry as they see fit. Polygamy as an idea does not seem negative, provided all parties concerned choose their fate.

Sadly, in the Mormon Church, this practice was born out of the promiscuity of its founder which he then made into a commandment of god to a select group of the church's elect priesthood holders.

We can see the negative effects of polygamy instituted as religious abuse, rather than by choice. There are many compounds and select neighborhoods in Utah, where one can discover families living in secrecy, and defying the United States government.

It is important to note that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints has officially denounced Polygamy as a required practice, and have disassociated themselves with those splinter groups who continue to practice it in earnest. Polygamy is not allowed in the church anymore, as well as being a crime.

In 1978, the church announced a "revelation" that would allow all men, regardless of color, to hold the priesthood of god. Previously, only white men could do so.

My personal opinion is that no revelation took place. The political climate become too hot to maintain their racism, so the church moved along with the times rather than face the anger of America, which might lead to their failure to convert more members. I find it unlikely that an all knowing god would not have allowed blacks in the priesthood in the first place.

20-10-2013, 02:09 PM
Do Morons ever talk about "the Lost Book of Abraham", or that Smith's wife, (whose friends he screwed) was against polygamy, or that the demonstrably false claim of his hieroglyphs, was an outright lie ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Sent by Jebus to put the stud back in Bible Study. "I believe Mr. Peanut is the Messiah" -- onlinebiker
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post