Ask a Mormon

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-01-2014, 08:22 AM
RE: Ask a Mormon
(08-11-2013 10:48 AM)Dark Phoenix Wrote:  Although these activities are outrageous and ridiculous, he never used a hat when it came to translating The Book of Mormon.

This isn't true. Multiple accounts have him placing the seerstone in his hat and then burying his face in it and reading the text from the glowing stone (much like some ancient Jewish traditions about the Urim and Thummim). The Church recently released an essay on the translation of the Book of Mormon that openly acknowledges this:

http://www.lds.org/topics/book-of-mormon...n?lang=eng

My Blog
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-01-2014, 08:34 AM
Dark Phoenix,
I have a more personal question for you. Now that you are away from Mormonism, are there still certain things that give you pause from your years of being in the faith? I ask because I had a friend that had been raised JW and even years later she still held doubts about things like blood transfusions. It's not that she wasn't smart enough to understand the potential medical necessity but it was her indoctrination still creeping in and having quite a hold on her.

Do you retain any similar things from you childhood/youth?

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
15-01-2014, 09:45 AM
(15-01-2014 08:10 AM)maklelan Wrote:  
(14-01-2014 10:58 PM)Dark Phoenix Wrote:  What is the position of the church, or the content of the church doctrine, on the subject of black people, their skin, it's origin or meaning?

See the following article:

http://www.lds.org/topics/race-and-the-p...d?lang=eng

The racial tenets of the LDS church reflect the social attitudes of the time, changing with the usual lag of about a generation.

When church doctrine changes to reflect what is acceptable socially, it casts doubt on those doctrines as 'inspired'. It is the way of any organization to change to survive in a culture.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
15-01-2014, 09:54 AM
(15-01-2014 08:34 AM)Anjele Wrote:  ...I had a friend that had been raised JW and even years later she still held doubts about things like blood transfusions. It's not that she wasn't smart enough to understand the potential medical necessity but it was her indoctrination still creeping in and having quite a hold on her.

I know this is off original topic, but I just wanted to comment on this briefly, because I have an exgirlfriend who was raised JW and she too insisted that if we were ever in a car accident and she needed a blood transfusion, not to let them do it because it's against her churches beliefs.

My response was, "I don't give a fuck what your church believes. If you are bleeding to death I'm not going to stop them from doing it and watch you die, because I actually love you and care about your well being, unlike your church which would see you dead. If you don't like that you can be as mad at me as you like, but at least you'll be alive enough to be mad at me."

[+] 2 users Like Raptor Jesus's post
15-01-2014, 10:12 AM
(15-01-2014 09:54 AM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  
(15-01-2014 08:34 AM)Anjele Wrote:  ...I had a friend that had been raised JW and even years later she still held doubts about things like blood transfusions. It's not that she wasn't smart enough to understand the potential medical necessity but it was her indoctrination still creeping in and having quite a hold on her.

I know this is off original topic, but I just wanted to comment on this briefly, because I have an exgirlfriend who was raised JW and she too insisted that if we were ever in a car accident and she needed a blood transfusion, not to let them do it because it's against her churches beliefs.

My response was, "I don't give a fuck what your church believes. If you are bleeding to death I'm not going to stop them from doing it and watch you die, because I actually love you and care about your well being, unlike your church which would see you dead. If you don't like that you can be as mad at me as you like, but at least you'll be alive enough to be mad at me."

Key word in your story: EXgirlfriend.

(just sayin)

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
15-01-2014, 10:29 AM
(15-01-2014 10:12 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  Key word in your story: EXgirlfriend.

(just sayin)

Actually, she was an atheist by the time I was done with her.

(P.S. Her parents hated me.)

[+] 1 user Likes Raptor Jesus's post
15-01-2014, 02:11 PM
(14-01-2014 10:46 PM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  
(14-01-2014 10:45 PM)Alla Wrote:  I don't have my own opinion on this matter.

I'm not asking your opinion. I'm asking what you believe your religion says on the matter.
According to the Scriptures dark skin is the mark from God.

English is not my native language.
that awkward moment between the Premortal Existence and your Resurrection
15-01-2014, 02:13 PM
(15-01-2014 02:11 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(14-01-2014 10:46 PM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  I'm not asking your opinion. I'm asking what you believe your religion says on the matter.
According to the Scriptures dark skin is the mark from God.

I'll let my 8 yr old bi-racial granddaughter know you've made that distinction for her. Bet it will just make her day.

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 2 users Like WitchSabrina's post
15-01-2014, 02:16 PM
(14-01-2014 10:55 PM)Dark Phoenix Wrote:  
(14-01-2014 10:31 PM)Alla Wrote:  I was raised an atheist.

That sentence makes me mildly queasy. Were you given any kind of choice in the matter, or was Atheism mandatory in your youth?

I sincerely hope you had some choice.
I was born in the USSR(Kiev, Ukraine). My father was an atheist. I was absolutely sure that there was no God/Gods. Communists/atheists taught that religion is opium for the people and I thought that only uneducated old people can believe in God.

15-01-2014, 02:27 PM
(14-01-2014 10:53 PM)Dark Phoenix Wrote:  [quote='Alla' pid='466876' dateline='1389760239']
Every time they teach official Doctrine I agree.
What, right away? You don't, say, think about it for a while to determine if it sounds moral or sensible?[/quote]
with some things I agree right away. Sometimes it takes time until I see clear picture(have true understanding)
How about you? Is there something you personally disagree with?

(14-01-2014 10:53 PM)Dark Phoenix Wrote:  [quote='Alla' pid='466876' dateline='1389760239']
I know it is true.
What does that mean, exactly? Do you mean to say that you believe it is true based on faith? Do you mean to say that you have knowledge based on actual evidence or proof? If neither of those, what then? [/quote]
Depends. Sometimes it is based on my experience. Sometimes I get some evidence(proof). Sometimes I know by the power of the Holy Ghost.

I also know that I don't have to agree with all their personal opinions.
How do you distinguish when a prophet is giving an opinion, or speaking on behalf of god?
As Joseph Smith said: prophet is only then a prophet when he is acting as such."
When prophet is not teaching what is official Doctrine then it is his opinion. It may be wrong.

(14-01-2014 10:53 PM)Dark Phoenix Wrote:  Every word out of the mouth of the speakers at General Conference, every six months, is printed in the church magazine and considered to be as good as scripture. How do you account for this marvelously long period without a single invalid opinion? These are fallible men giving supposedly infallible speeches. Your thoughts?
What is the Scripture? Scripture is words of God, words of men and even words of Satan.
When a Prophet gives his opinion(part of the scripture) by the power of the Holy Ghost I may know if it is true opinion.