Ask a Mormon

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-01-2014, 02:36 PM
RE: Ask a Mormon
(15-01-2014 02:11 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(14-01-2014 10:46 PM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  I'm not asking your opinion. I'm asking what you believe your religion says on the matter.
According to the Scriptures dark skin is the mark from God.

Since you are still not fully answer this question, I'll elaborate. Your church believes it is the mark from "God" that the bible says was placed on Cain when he was punished for murdering his brother, and subsequently banished and send "East of Eden". He skin was marked so that all would know what evil he had done.

Your Church believes his skin was "marked" dark brown so as a visible symbol and warning to others of the evil of this man, and that as the bible says, the "sins" of the father shall be passed down onto the son, so has his dark brown skin (mark) and his "sin" continued to be passed down through all the decedents of Cain, and those are the black people.

So in summary, you church believes all black people are the decedents of Cain, and bare the mark, and carry the "sin" of his evil, and that's why they have dark brown skin.

Whether you hold this to be your own opinion or not, do you agree that this is what your Church believes? If not, clarify, and be specific because I don't want to waste my time on reasking obvious questions I already asked.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-01-2014, 02:52 PM (This post was last modified: 15-01-2014 02:59 PM by Alla.)
(15-01-2014 02:36 PM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  Since you are still not fully answer this question, I'll elaborate.
I answered as full as possible. You asked me why black people have dark skin. I answered: BECAUSE God marked them with this color of skin.

(15-01-2014 02:36 PM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  Your church believes it is the mark from "God" that the bible says was placed on Cain when he was punished for murdering his brother, and subsequently banished and send "East of Eden". He skin was marked so that all would know what evil he had done.
You see, I told you that dark skin is mark from God.

(15-01-2014 02:36 PM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  So in summary, you church believes all black people are the decedents of Cain, and bare the mark, and carry the "sin" of his evil, and that's why they have dark brown skin.
FALSE. Church doesn't teach that ALL black people are decedents of Cain. If I am wrong give me a source please where there is such a statement(teaching/belief)

(15-01-2014 02:36 PM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  Whether you hold this to be your own opinion or not, do you agree that this is what your Church believes? If not, clarify, and be specific because I don't want to waste my time on reasking obvious questions I already asked.
Church doesn't teach that all black people are decedents of Cain.
So dark skin is mark form God. It was given ONLY to those who broke covenant with God. Their decedents just inherit dark skin because of the Mother Nature.Smile

English is not my native language.
that awkward moment between the Premortal Existence and your Resurrection
15-01-2014, 02:53 PM
(15-01-2014 02:36 PM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  Since you are still not fully answer this question, I'll elaborate. Your church believes it is the mark from "God" that the bible says was placed on Cain when he was punished for murdering his brother, and subsequently banished and send "East of Eden". He skin was marked so that all would know what evil he had done.

No, the LDS Church does not believe that. That was the most common Mainline Protestant belief in the 19th and early 20th centuries, and many Latter-day Saints (including leaders) absorbed that notion, and it's certainly trickled down through some of the generations, but the most prevalent belief among Latter-day Saints contemporaneously is the one outlined in the article to which I linked. It just took the Church a long time to get to the point where they were willing to sanction the position, which is unfortunate.

On the other hand, the Book of Mormon initially describes the dark skin of the Lamanites as a curse and a mark, but then later on it describes the Lamanites as more righteous than the Nephites, occasionally with the dark skin being removed after a few generations, and occasionally not. Any kind of consistent or systematic approach to the dark skin issue is overly simplistic.

(15-01-2014 02:36 PM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  Your Church believes his skin was "marked" dark brown so as a visible symbol and warning to others of the evil of this man, and that as the bible says, the "sins" of the father shall be passed down onto the son, so has his dark brown skin (mark) and his "sin" continued to be passed down through all the decedents of Cain, and those are the black people.

So in summary, you church believes all black people are the decedents of Cain,

Odd that traditional Latter-day Saints would believe that all of humanity except for Noah's family died in the Deluge, but at the same time would believe that the offspring of Cain somehow skipped over it and managed to survive down to today.

(15-01-2014 02:36 PM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  and bare the mark, and carry the "sin" of his evil, and that's why they have dark brown skin.

Whether you hold this to be your own opinion or not, do you agree that this is what your Church believes?

That's not at all what the Church as a whole believes or teaches.

(15-01-2014 02:36 PM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  If not, clarify, and be specific because I don't want to waste my time on reasking obvious questions I already asked.

I linked to the official position of the Church already. If you missed it, see here:

http://www.lds.org/topics/race-and-the-p...d?lang=eng

My Blog
15-01-2014, 02:56 PM
(15-01-2014 02:52 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(15-01-2014 02:36 PM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  Since you are still not fully answer this question, I'll elaborate. Your church believes it is the mark from "God" that the bible says was placed on Cain when he was punished for murdering his brother, and subsequently banished and send "East of Eden". He skin was marked so that all would know what evil he had done.

Your Church believes his skin was "marked" dark brown so as a visible symbol and warning to others of the evil of this man, and that as the bible says, the "sins" of the father shall be passed down onto the son, so has his dark brown skin (mark) and his "sin" continued to be passed down through all the decedents of Cain, and those are the black people.

So in summary, you church believes all black people are the decedents of Cain, and bare the mark, and carry the "sin" of his evil, and that's why they have dark brown skin.

Whether you hold this to be your own opinion or not, do you agree that this is what your Church believes? If not, clarify, and be specific because I don't want to waste my time on reasking obvious questions I already asked.

BAHAHAHAHA I'm sorry Raptor Jesus, but this really cracks me up! I hope she answered your question well enough. I assume you finally understand?

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
[+] 1 user Likes Losty's post
15-01-2014, 03:07 PM
About as crystal clear as the last LDS couple preaching at my front door!

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
15-01-2014, 03:15 PM
(15-01-2014 02:13 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  
(15-01-2014 02:11 PM)Alla Wrote:  According to the Scriptures dark skin is the mark from God.

I'll let my 8 yr old bi-racial granddaughter know you've made that distinction for her. Bet it will just make her day.

hold up, Granddaughter? As in, your daughter's daughter. I am shaking my head in disbelief that you are old enough to have a granddaughter. Granted, I dunno why I never bothered to check, you were clear in your profile about this. I dunno...I guess by the way you interact with forum members, I thought you were mid-30s tops.

Take this as a compliment that I think you are clearly young at heart. Thumbsup

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
15-01-2014, 03:19 PM
(15-01-2014 02:27 PM)Alla Wrote:  What is the Scripture? Scripture is words of God, words of men and even words of Satan.
When a Prophet gives his opinion(part of the scripture) by the power of the Holy Ghost I may know if it is true opinion.

interesting, Alla. So the Bible is 1 part God, 1 part men, and 1 part Satan? How can you tell which part is attributable to whom?

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
[+] 1 user Likes Cathym112's post
15-01-2014, 03:19 PM
(15-01-2014 02:53 PM)maklelan Wrote:  No, the LDS Church does not believe that. That was the most common Mainline Protestant belief in the 19th and early 20th centuries, and many Latter-day Saints (including leaders) absorbed that notion, and it's certainly trickled down through some of the generations, but the most prevalent belief among Latter-day Saints contemporaneously is the one outlined in the article to which I linked. It just took the Church a long time to get to the point where they were willing to sanction the position, which is unfortunate.

On the other hand, the Book of Mormon initially describes the dark skin of the Lamanites as a curse and a mark, but then later on it describes the Lamanites as more righteous than the Nephites, occasionally with the dark skin being removed after a few generations, and occasionally not. Any kind of consistent or systematic approach to the dark skin issue is overly simplistic.

Of course, there is simply no evidence whatever for the existence of Lamanites and Nephites. So there's that. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
15-01-2014, 03:24 PM
(15-01-2014 02:53 PM)maklelan Wrote:  On the other hand, the Book of Mormon initially describes the dark skin of the Lamanites as a curse and a mark, but then later on it describes the Lamanites as more righteous than the Nephites, occasionally with the dark skin being removed after a few generations, and occasionally not. Any kind of consistent or systematic approach to the dark skin issue is overly simplistic.

Seems to imply that it's more desirable to have light skin ? Are there examples of whiteys being bad and still remaining whiteys in the book of Mormon ?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
15-01-2014, 03:27 PM
(15-01-2014 03:24 PM)morondog Wrote:  Seems to imply that it's more desirable to have light skin ? Are there examples of whiteys being bad and still remaining whiteys in the book of Mormon ?

Yes, the white Nephites are more wicked than the dark Lamanites for a good portion of the book, but nobody's skin changes. Jacob 3:8, however, states, "O my brethren, I fear that unless ye shall repent of your sins that their skins will be whiter than yours, when ye shall be brought with them before the throne of God." Whether this is intended to be figurative or is intended to mean that they will turn into white-skinned people in the afterlife is debated among members.

My Blog