Ask a Mormon

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-01-2014, 03:33 PM
RE: Ask a Mormon
(15-01-2014 03:19 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  
(15-01-2014 02:27 PM)Alla Wrote:  What is the Scripture? Scripture is words of God, words of men and even words of Satan.
When a Prophet gives his opinion(part of the scripture) by the power of the Holy Ghost I may know if it is true opinion.

interesting, Alla. So the Bible is 1 part God, 1 part men, and 1 part Satan? How can you tell which part is attributable to whom?
When in the Scripture Prophet says: "Thus says the Lord..." it is word of God. When Apostle and Prophet Paul gives advice to widows and tells that it is not from God but his personal advice it is word of man(Paul). When we read "eat fruit and you will not die" we read words(lies) of Satan.

English is not my native language.
that awkward moment between the Premortal Existence and your Resurrection
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-01-2014, 03:39 PM
(15-01-2014 03:27 PM)maklelan Wrote:  
(15-01-2014 03:24 PM)morondog Wrote:  Seems to imply that it's more desirable to have light skin ? Are there examples of whiteys being bad and still remaining whiteys in the book of Mormon ?

Yes, the white Nephites are more wicked than the dark Lamanites for a good portion of the book, but nobody's skin changes. Jacob 3:8, however, states, "O my brethren, I fear that unless ye shall repent of your sins that their skins will be whiter than yours, when ye shall be brought with them before the throne of God." Whether this is intended to be figurative or is intended to mean that they will turn into white-skinned people in the afterlife is debated among members.

So it seems to be clear that white skin is regarded as a good thing at any rate ? Whether in this life or the next.

I don't get it. How do you read verses like this and not see them as overtly racist ? Why is God monkeying with peoples' skin colour in the first place ? It seems senseless... like most of religion in my experience.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
15-01-2014, 03:46 PM
(15-01-2014 03:39 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(15-01-2014 03:27 PM)maklelan Wrote:  Yes, the white Nephites are more wicked than the dark Lamanites for a good portion of the book, but nobody's skin changes. Jacob 3:8, however, states, "O my brethren, I fear that unless ye shall repent of your sins that their skins will be whiter than yours, when ye shall be brought with them before the throne of God." Whether this is intended to be figurative or is intended to mean that they will turn into white-skinned people in the afterlife is debated among members.

So it seems to be clear that white skin is regarded as a good thing at any rate ? Whether in this life or the next.

I don't get it. How do you read verses like this and not see them as overtly racist ? Why is God monkeying with peoples' skin colour in the first place ? It seems senseless... like most of religion in my experience.
There is nothing wrong with dark skin color. God gave different color of the skin to separate the seed of the Lamanites from seed of the Nephites.
Skin color is not for the purpose of hatred.

English is not my native language.
that awkward moment between the Premortal Existence and your Resurrection
15-01-2014, 04:02 PM
(15-01-2014 03:39 PM)morondog Wrote:  So it seems to be clear that white skin is regarded as a good thing at any rate ? Whether in this life or the next.

Whiteness as a symbol of purity, yeah.

(15-01-2014 03:39 PM)morondog Wrote:  I don't get it. How do you read verses like this and not see them as overtly racist ?

It's absolutely racist, according to our standard. For ante-bellum Protestantism it was progressive.

(15-01-2014 03:39 PM)morondog Wrote:  Why is God monkeying with peoples' skin colour in the first place ? It seems senseless... like most of religion in my experience.

Well, were I forced to interpret it historically, I would say it was what happened when the Lamanites intermarried with the indigenous peoples. Not necessarily anyone monkeying with anyone else's skin color so much as the natural result of intermarriage between light-skinned people and dark-skinned people.

My Blog
15-01-2014, 09:15 PM
(15-01-2014 04:21 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(15-01-2014 04:16 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  "people won't be discussing the flying spaghetti monster in a similar way."

How many wives does FSM have? Dirty old bastard, sticking his appendage where it doesn't belong.

None the FSM is a hit it and quit it god. Ain't no ring on his noodles.

And on that not, I give you the ONE and ONLY --

FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER GAME!!!! (click on this link)

[Image: Flying-Spaghetti-Monster_1.jpg]

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
15-01-2014, 09:21 PM
(15-01-2014 04:41 AM)The Germans are coming Wrote:  Is it true that you people dont dance?

Because we can dance when we want to
we can leave your friends behind
because your friends dont dance
and if they dont dance
then they aint no friends of mine

Haha that's Baptists.

Do you know why Baptists don't fuck standing up?

Because people might think they were dancing....

15-01-2014, 09:24 PM
(15-01-2014 08:09 AM)maklelan Wrote:  
(15-01-2014 04:41 AM)The Germans are coming Wrote:  Is it true that you people dont dance?

Because we can dance when we want to
we can leave your friends behind
because your friends dont dance
and if they dont dance
then they aint no friends of mine

No, that's not true. The Church actually regularly sponsors dances for youth and young adults.

In order to get them to marry off and start in the litter-breeding program...

15-01-2014, 09:26 PM
(15-01-2014 08:22 AM)maklelan Wrote:  
(08-11-2013 10:48 AM)Dark Phoenix Wrote:  Although these activities are outrageous and ridiculous, he never used a hat when it came to translating The Book of Mormon.

This isn't true. Multiple accounts have him placing the seerstone in his hat and then burying his face in it and reading the text from the glowing stone (much like some ancient Jewish traditions about the Urim and Thummim). The Church recently released an essay on the translation of the Book of Mormon that openly acknowledges this:

http://www.lds.org/topics/book-of-mormon...n?lang=eng

So where is this stone, and where are the supposed golden tablets, and why does the church supposedly "hide" what supposedly would be the only sort of evidence that any religion could ever produce to demonstrate the actual existence of its deity?

....Cue a shitload of obfuscationist double-talk in 3...2...1...

[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
15-01-2014, 09:31 PM
(15-01-2014 02:52 PM)Alla Wrote:  So dark skin is mark form God. It was given ONLY to those who broke covenant with God.

[Image: sw50sw8sw578.gif]

Alla = Fucking racist sow.

(15-01-2014 02:53 PM)maklelan Wrote:  That was the most common Mainline Protestant belief in the 19th and early 20th centuries, and many Latter-day Saints (including leaders) absorbed that notion,

More revisionist bullshit from the snake oil salesman.

15-01-2014, 09:37 PM
(15-01-2014 02:53 PM)maklelan Wrote:  Odd that traditional Latter-day Saints MORmONS [fixed!] would believe that all of humanity except for Noah's family died in the Deluge, but at the same time would believe that the offspring of Cain somehow skipped over it and managed to survive down to today.

Oh, the cognitive dissonance. And yet, despite the obvious bullshittery, you still embrace the MORmON fairy tales. Self-delusion at its worst.