RE: Ask a Mormon
What's up with the magic underwear? Consider

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
20-10-2013, 02:15 PM
OP I'm slightly confused. Are you an ex-Mormon or still a churchman ?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
20-10-2013, 02:22 PM
Which is the least desirable "kingdom"?
&
Is there a hierarchy of hells, or punishments, one might have to endure in the afterlife?

[+] 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post
20-10-2013, 02:28 PM
have you seen the south park lampoon of Mormonism ?

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
20-10-2013, 02:35 PM
(20-10-2013 01:58 PM)Dom Wrote:  So what's this earthly test all about?

The idea of an "Earthly Test" comes out of Mormon theological history.

Mormons believe that all spirits have always existed, including ourselves. We have lived for millennial on Kolob as children to our father, God, and his wife, our "heavenly mother". As we grew in knowledge and love of God, we became mature and unable to learn anything further in this spiritual realm.

It was at this time that God held a council with all his children, in which he explained his plan for them. It was God's desire that we become like him, which required us to obtain a physical form. God had a body, and we did not. In order to fully mature as his children, we needed form.

God knew that we would one day grow to the level of power that he possesses and join him as adults, so he devised an earthly plan in order to test us. He wanted only the virtuous of his children to succeed in gaining this power, lest a mislead son or daughter would wield this power selfishly and cause much pain in the universe.

The plan was simple, we needed to be born on a physical world. God created Earth for this purpose. Our minds would require a veil to obscure our memories of Kolob. God knew that if we could remember our former paradise, we would have no stomach for the challenge of Earth. He wanted to know which of his children would follow his teachings as revealed on Earth, without knowing for certain.

Then came the kicker. God knew we would make many mistakes, and do many things we would regret because of our veil. Therefore we needed someone to rescue us from our sins, and allow us to be clean enough to return to god. We needed a sacrifice for sin, and he was looking for one of us to volunteer. One of his sons needed to go to earth and die for us all.

Two sons volunteered. One was known as Christ. He promised to fulfill gods will on Earth.

The other was Lucifer, known as "The Son of the Morning" He was well known, and well loved. He refused to follow God's plan, but rather, volunteered himself for his own plan. He proposed that all humans be forced to do good only, that way their return home would be made sure.

In his wrath at being defied by his son, God used his formidable strength to cast Lucifer down to earth without the gift of a body, and cursed him to spend all the days of his existence wandering its lands, full of hate and bitterness.

This was easier said than done, since one whole third of the crowd preferred Lucifer's plan. They rallied around his voice, and a raging battle began, God on the one side with his followers, and Lucifer on the other with his followers.

After a struggle, God won and cast Lucifer down along with the entire host who supported him. These are the evil spirits that sometimes are seen by living humans. They are the "Angels of Satan" forever consumed by jealousy and hatred for having been passed up for living people. They continuously tempt us and lie to us in order to make us miserable like them.

With one third of the host of heaven cast down, God resumed his plan with Jesus as our Savior.

That was a long ass story, but it was taught to me as Mormon Doctrine as a child. They believe it to be absolute truth. This life is merely a test of our faith and love of god, which will determine whether or not we return to live with him.

Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation. The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness.

-Karl Marx
20-10-2013, 02:40 PM
(20-10-2013 02:15 PM)morondog Wrote:  OP I'm slightly confused. Are you an ex-Mormon or still a churchman ?

I am a former member of the church. I am an Atheist.

I am trying to answer questions as if I were still a member though, that way I can simulate what you might hear from one.

Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation. The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness.

-Karl Marx
[+] 2 users Like Dark Phoenix's post
20-10-2013, 02:42 PM
A Mormon simulator Big Grin Like a flight simulator but more religious...

OK OK I'll shut up now... Tongue

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 4 users Like morondog's post
20-10-2013, 02:59 PM
(20-10-2013 02:10 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  What's up with the magic underwear? Consider

The "Magic Underwear" is a undergarment worn by members who have gone through the temple to be "endowed". During a ceremony known as an endowment, the member makes sacred and secret covenants between them and god. It is casually referred to as one's "garments".

The garments are supposed to be worn at all times, except for activities like sex and working out. It is meant as a constant reminder of one's covenants. Over the years it has also been used as a basic standard of public modesty. If one's garments are showing, the outfit isn't modest enough.

The "Magic" was added to the underwear as various well known members of the church began to spread rumors about their garments saving them from injury.
Soon such stories became commonplace and it is now widely accepted among members that their garments act as a divine protection from harm.

-Karl Marx
[+] 3 users Like Dark Phoenix's post
20-10-2013, 03:00 PM
(20-10-2013 02:42 PM)morondog Wrote:  A Mormon simulator Big Grin Like a flight simulator but more religious...

OK OK I'll shut up now... Tongue

I sincerely hope no one ever builds a Mormon Simulator. That sounds horrifying. LOL

-Karl Marx
[+] 1 user Likes Dark Phoenix's post
20-10-2013, 03:07 PM
(20-10-2013 02:22 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  Which is the least desirable "kingdom"?
&
Is there a hierarchy of hells, or punishments, one might have to endure in the afterlife?

The least desirable afterlife is not considered a kingdom. It is known as "Outer Darkness". It is described as being dark, cold, and full of anguish. It is as close to Hell as Mormons get.

Outer Darkness is reserved for only the most serious offences.

1. Premeditated Murder
2. Denying the existence of God, Jesus, or the Holy Ghost after receiving a vision or a "sure knowledge" that they exist.
3. Participating in the heavenly rebellion against God led by Lucifer.
4. Being Lucifer

Nice question. I have never thought about it like that before.

-Karl Marx
[+] 1 user Likes Dark Phoenix's post