Ask a Mormon

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-10-2013, 03:08 PM
RE: Ask a Mormon
(20-10-2013 02:28 PM)sporehux Wrote:  have you seen the south park lampoon of Mormonism ?

I haven't seen it. Any chance you could post a youtube link here?

Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation. The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness.

-Karl Marx
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-10-2013, 03:33 PM
(20-10-2013 02:09 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Do Morons ever talk about "the Lost Book of Abraham", or that Smith's wife, (whose friends he screwed) was against polygamy, or that the demonstrably false claim of his hieroglyphs, was an outright lie ?

The Book or Abraham is contained with what Mormons call the "Quad". the Quad is one book of scripture containing the King James Bible, The Book of Mormon, The Doctrine and Covenants, and The Pearl of Great Price.

The Book of Abraham is contained within The Pearl of Great Price. It claims to be a record written by Abraham chronicling his conversations with god, as well as some of his personal history.

It was found as written on an old Egyptian scroll, and supposedly translated by Joseph Smith.

Growing up, the Book of Abraham was a standard part of my religious training and study, and questioning its validity was never even addressed. No evidence of its authenticity was presented to me. We simply believed it was true. It was many years before I even bothered to look up its origins.

Emma Smith, the wife of the supposed Prophet Joseph Smith, lived a difficult life as second fiddle to an ever growing number of wives accumulated by her husband. Although she was the first, she died as one of 38 wives. She wrote in a journal often, thus we know that she detested the practice of polygamy, and was full of resentment towards Joseph. She was a deep believer however, and took it as a trial of her faith to remain his faithful wife, regardless.

In her late years, after Joseph was assassinated, she broke away from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, and helped create a splinter group known as "The Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints". She no longer held any belief in the Church Joseph created, but maintained belief in many of its principles. She remained in the Midwest as the rest of the Mormons were driven West, eventually to settle in Utah.

When I became suspicious of the Church and its history, I discovered through my own research that Joseph Smith's translation of the Book of Abraham has been definitively proven a fraud. This is one of many proven facts that make faith in the Mormon Church impossible. I was taught a doctored version of Church history, completely free of controversy. Many events were simply left entirely out of my education.

Unfortunately it is beyond difficult to point this out to Mormons with any real success.
They are dogmatically loyal as a result of indoctrination, and would rather assume you are an apostate heathen, who enjoys lying to them for the devil, than to believe that your arguments have any credence.

I remember as a member growing up, being warned constantly about the dangers of "Anti Mormon Literature". We were told that anything we wished to know about the Church could be provided to us by our leaders. We were warned about apostates and members of other faiths who wanted nothing more than to ruin our happiness by robbing us of our faith. It was clear to me that Anti Mormon Literature was anything written against the church by anyone, regardless of their purpose., who was not a faithful member.

I had to wade through this unhealthy taboo in order to study the Church objectively. Simply by doing so, I made myself outcast.

Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation. The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness.

-Karl Marx
[+] 3 users Like Dark Phoenix's post
20-10-2013, 04:21 PM
I just want to thank you for taking the time to answer questions. I've learned some things I didn't know!

As I read the answers it got me wondering if in a few hundred years from now, people won't be discussing the flying spaghetti monster in a similar way.

Clearly the Mormon 'faith' started with Smith and a bit of crazy. Kinda like Saul of Tarsus brand of crazy.

Now there's lots of Mormons...

Just a dijointed moment of musing.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
20-10-2013, 04:48 PM
(20-10-2013 12:43 PM)Dark Phoenix Wrote:  1. I am a former member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, or "Mormons".

2. I was raised a Mormon from birth.

3. I left the Mormon Church at the age of 18.

4. I was raised a Mormon in Virginia, but I now live in Utah.

5. My family is still active in The Mormon Church.

It is my pleasure to offer this forum my unique perspective and experience. I am willing and excited to answer questions about Mormonism. I am open to personal questions about my story.

In my experience, the average person's knowledge of Mormonism is vague at best. There is a great deal of deliberately false information available about Mormons which clouds the issue further.

If it is necessary for me to explain what a Mormon is, and give a basic overview of the religion, I will. Please post your replies and let me know if this is necessary. Our Atheist community is usually very well informed and skilled at research, so I am never sure if I am underestimating their skill.

Ask away!

1) How do Mormons rationalize the fact that Joseph Smith was a convicted con man? How is his credibility not called into question, and if so, how has the credibility been called into question?

2) why can't non-Mormons enter the temple? Ex: if a non-Mormon marries a Mormon, the non mormon's family cannot witness the marriage. Why alienate families that way?
[+] 1 user Likes Cathym112's post
20-10-2013, 04:59 PM
(20-10-2013 02:35 PM)Dark Phoenix Wrote:  The other was Lucifer, known as "The Son of the Morning" He was well known, and well loved. He refused to follow God's plan, but rather, volunteered himself for his own plan. He proposed that all humans be forced to do good only, that way their return home would be made sure.

In his wrath at being defied by his son, God used his formidable strength to cast Lucifer down to earth without the gift of a body, and cursed him to spend all the days of his existence wandering its lands, full of hate and bitterness.

Every version of god I come across has him needing anger management classes.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
20-10-2013, 05:07 PM
Is it true that Mormons when baptized are also baptized for some poor dead person who was not Mormon? If so, what is the purpose of this?

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
20-10-2013, 05:25 PM
Ask a Mormon
(20-10-2013 12:43 PM)Dark Phoenix Wrote:  1. I am a former member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, or "Mormons".

2. I was raised a Mormon from birth.

3. I left the Mormon Church at the age of 18.

4. I was raised a Mormon in Virginia, but I now live in Utah.

5. My family is still active in The Mormon Church.

It is my pleasure to offer this forum my unique perspective and experience. I am willing and excited to answer questions about Mormonism. I am open to personal questions about my story.

In my experience, the average person's knowledge of Mormonism is vague at best. There is a great deal of deliberately false information available about Mormons which clouds the issue further.

If it is necessary for me to explain what a Mormon is, and give a basic overview of the religion, I will. Please post your replies and let me know if this is necessary. Our Atheist community is usually very well informed and skilled at research, so I am never sure if I am underestimating their skill.

Ask away!

of people living today, who ( if any) is a recognized prophet within LDS?
20-10-2013, 05:53 PM (This post was last modified: 20-10-2013 06:09 PM by TheGulegon.)
(20-10-2013 03:07 PM)Dark Phoenix Wrote:  
(20-10-2013 02:22 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  Which is the least desirable "kingdom"?
&
Is there a hierarchy of hells, or punishments, one might have to endure in the afterlife?

The least desirable afterlife is not considered a kingdom. It is known as "Outer Darkness". It is described as being dark, cold, and full of anguish. It is as close to Hell as Mormons get.

Outer Darkness is reserved for only the most serious offences.

1. Premeditated Murder
2. Denying the existence of God, Jesus, or the Holy Ghost after receiving a vision or a "sure knowledge" that they exist.
3. Participating in the heavenly rebellion against God led by Lucifer.
4. Being Lucifer

Nice question. I have never thought about it like that before.

Thank you for answering both my questions Shy But I would like clarification on these kingdoms if you're of a mind to. Like, super-mormans get into The Celestial Kingdom, while mormans who slip up every once in a while get the 2nd best place? Perhaps there's a kingdom for the "D students"?
I would think, at least, coming up with a variety of heavens would be an improvement over figuring out how many circles of pain & torcher you could fit into hell!

20-10-2013, 06:00 PM
Wow. Now I see where hubbard got his scientology ideas from, apart from his arse that is.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
20-10-2013, 06:44 PM
What the Mormons told me is that when they marry, they marry for eternity. So how is it that I see Mormons getting divorced? Da fuq's up with that?

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.