Ask a Mormon

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-10-2013, 12:22 AM
RE: Ask a Mormon
That video was creepy. Like Halloween creepy.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
22-10-2013, 12:27 AM
re: video

HOLY FUCKING RACISM BATMAN !!!

I thought Mormons were just undrunk Christians.
But there as batshit as Tom Cruisetians.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
22-10-2013, 12:29 AM
(22-10-2013 12:27 AM)sporehux Wrote:  re: video

HOLY FUCKING RACISM BATMAN !!!

I don't think the Mormons allowed African Americans in their church until the late 70s..

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

22-10-2013, 12:31 AM
Dark Phoenix
I have found your posts to be extremely interesting and thank you for the clear and concise relating of the Mormon religion.
You are clearly a very intelligent and erudite person, and I congratulate you for escaping the craziness of Mormonism.
I do always feel that it is not possible for people to dismiss another's religion without a reasonable amount of knowledge about it. I find it makes it much easier to argue against it when they turn up at your door.
I live in France so we don't see too many Mormons but I did read up on the JW faith as they frequently come to our house.
A funny story about the Mormon missionaries concerns my Mum who lives in the UK.
Bless her, she's in her 80s and suffering from slight dementia.
A couple of years ago some Mormons knocked on her door (their UK headquarters are not far from her home) and asked if they could talk to her about the Church.
"Oh yes", she said, "come in"
She then spent the next hour at least (once she starts talking there is no stopping her) about HER church (Methodist), what a lovely time she has at the Scrabble club there, the church (C of E) she went to when she was little, the fact that she went to a church school etc etc and, basically, bored the shit out of them. They didn't get a word in edgewise and they have not contacted her since.
A very effective way to get rid of Mormons or JWs forever, it would seem.
[+] 2 users Like englishrose's post
22-10-2013, 02:15 AM
(21-10-2013 11:57 PM)Dark Phoenix Wrote:  
(21-10-2013 10:23 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  I am kind of in shock that the video was that accurate. I really thought it was just a smear piece by some anti-Mormon fundies. I had always before prefaced any relating of the info in that video as unconfirmed and probably false. I never gave Mormonism much thought because of the obvious fraud it was founded on. Much like Scientology when you can see the reason behind the foundation it is easy to see the lies being spun.

I understand your shock. This is some really crazy stuff.

I can tell you for certain that the video was not produced by the Church. It may very well be a smear campaign done by another faith. If that is the case, it is the most effective smear I have ever seen by virtue of getting so much right.

It says a lot about a religion when telling the truth about them is automatically crazy. You don't even need lies to expose them.

Well every religion is batshit crazy to one degree or another, but yeah I knew a little bit about base doctrines because when I was younger I got a copy of the Book of Mormon from some missionaries. I know most people hate being bothered but I like talking religion. Too bad after they gave me the book the follow up visit I scared them off by grilling them about their metaphysics never heard from em again.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
22-10-2013, 06:03 AM
I'm actually very surprised, so they don't tell you everything about the church. They start with the umm..the more tame bits and then they lead you gradually to the crazy so your more likely to believe it. SO I'm guessing they don't have any golden tablets do they?Tongue
Also are the mormons racist? Did they preach anything within their texts to give that impression?

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
22-10-2013, 06:58 AM
(22-10-2013 06:03 AM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  Also are the mormons racist? Did they preach anything within their texts to give that impression?

"...after they had dwindled in unbelief they became a dark, and loathsome, and a filthy people, full of idleness and all manner of abominations." (I Nephi 12:23)

"...Behold, they had hardened their hearts against him...wherefore, as they were white, and exceeding fair and delightsome, that they might not be enticingunto my people the Lord God did cause a skin of blackness to come upon them. And thus saith the Lord God: I will cause that they shall be loathsome unto thy people, save they shall repent of their sins." (2 Nephi 5:21-22)

"...the Lord shall curse the land with much heat...and there was a blackness (2) came upon all the children of Canaan, that they were despised among all people." (Moses 7:8)

"And Enoch also beheld ...the sons of Adam; and they were a mixture of all the seed of Adam save it were the seed of Cain, for the seed of Cain were black, and had not a place among them." (Moses 7:22)

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
22-10-2013, 07:10 AM
DP,
I thinks it's pretty cool that you are answering questions. The Mormon faith is quite mysterious to those that didn't grow up in it. I have found that faiths such as the Mormons and the JWs don't really like to put a lot of background info out there for people to access. Instead they prefer to send out the missionaries/door-knockers.

A few years ago when trying to understand a friend who had been dis-fellowed by the JWs I searched for information so that I knew what things were holding her back and why. All I was able to find at that time were stories of people who had left the faith but not really any information directly from the religion itself. That may be different now. As someone who grew up Catholic, surrounded by Catholics, I wasn't exposed to other religions so I am still learning the differences.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
22-10-2013, 11:58 AM
(22-10-2013 12:31 AM)englishrose Wrote:  Dark Phoenix
I have found your posts to be extremely interesting and thank you for the clear and concise relating of the Mormon religion.
You are clearly a very intelligent and erudite person, and I congratulate you for escaping the craziness of Mormonism.

Thank you. I am glad to provide something the forum didn't have before. You are most welcome.

I appreciate the compliment. I gladly accept your congratulations. I can easily say that leaving the Mormon Church and becoming Atheist is the most intelligent thing I have ever done. I am privileged to have sorted it all out before I was even 20.

(22-10-2013 12:31 AM)englishrose Wrote:  I do always feel that it is not possible for people to dismiss another's religion without a reasonable amount of knowledge about it. I find it makes it much easier to argue against it when they turn up at your door.
I live in France so we don't see too many Mormons but I did read up on the JW faith as they frequently come to our house.
A funny story about the Mormon missionaries concerns my Mum who lives in the UK.
Bless her, she's in her 80s and suffering from slight dementia.
A couple of years ago some Mormons knocked on her door (their UK headquarters are not far from her home) and asked if they could talk to her about the Church.
"Oh yes", she said, "come in"
She then spent the next hour at least (once she starts talking there is no stopping her) about HER church (Methodist), what a lovely time she has at the Scrabble club there, the church (C of E) she went to when she was little, the fact that she went to a church school etc etc and, basically, bored the shit out of them. They didn't get a word in edgewise and they have not contacted her since.
A very effective way to get rid of Mormons or JWs forever, it would seem.

That's a funny story. I wish I could have been there to see the missionary's faces. lol

You live in France huh? France is one of the most highly resistant countries when it comes to Mormonism. The church has tried in vain to convert European countries, only to discover the most stubborn opposition ever. This began in the time of Joseph Smith and Brigham Young.

May I congratulate you for living in the national equivalent to Mormon kryptonite.

Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation. The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness.

-Karl Marx
22-10-2013, 12:02 PM
(22-10-2013 02:15 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Well every religion is batshit crazy to one degree or another, but yeah I knew a little bit about base doctrines because when I was younger I got a copy of the Book of Mormon from some missionaries. I know most people hate being bothered but I like talking religion. Too bad after they gave me the book the follow up visit I scared them off by grilling them about their metaphysics never heard from em again.

Have you ever read the Book of Mormon all the way through? It is definitely worth the read. It is a fascinating book. If you get the chance, I would thoroughly recommend it.

It is the most incredible fraudulent creation that I have ever seen. It's complexity rivals that of the Bible itself.

Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation. The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness.

-Karl Marx