Ask a Muslim [split from introductions]

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 4.2 Average
08-05-2012, 02:37 AM (This post was last modified: 08-05-2012 02:51 AM by Internet Mullah.)
RE: Ask a Muslim [split from introductions]
(07-05-2012 06:52 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I sincerely appreciate your contributions here, Mullah. So I will give Islam the same courtesy that I give anyone else approaching me with metaphysical wares. Is the promise of a postmortem preservation of identity fundamental to your belief? And if so, can you please provide me with your rationale and any plausible mechanism of action.

Okay, so here's my take on this.

Firstly, as you may already know, Muslims believe that the present life is not the only life that we are going to have. After we die, there's going to be a another life that is never going to end, sort of like waking up from sleep except that it's a much longer sleep.

Secondly, I would like to say that, according to Islamic belief, it's not just the soul that departs from the body and goes off into a different plane of existence during resurrection. We believe that the entire body also gets resurrected (or reconstructed) as stated in the Quran:

"Does man think that We cannot assemble his bones? Nay, We are able to put together in perfect order the very tips of his fingers" (Surah 75:3-4).

Now, your question is, what is a plausible mechanism for postmortem preservation of identity. Well, first I'm going to explain a few other things before I get to that part.

There's an idea that is shared by many scientists and philosophers today - and the idea is that the entire universe is a giant, elaborate computer that is processing information - and this is something that I find very likely to be true. I'm not saying that the universe is necessarily a computer. All I'm saying is that this is the best philosophical theory that I've come across to describe how the universe functions and thus it is more likely to be true that the universe itself is a computer. The more I think of the universe as a computer, the more it makes sense to me because I realize that everything in nature along with we human beings are essentially physical systems which are storing and processing information.

So, from that perspective, it looks to me as if all our networks and interactions in this planet are just some of the things that are happening in a massive computer which itself is running on some kind of a program. At a larger scale, all the atoms in the universe are analogous to the bits inside a laptop or a computer, and through the countless atomic collisions and rearrangements, the universe is performing a computation. So we can think of the laws of physics as a software, the matter and energy as the input, and the results of the computation as the output.

I also read a book titled "Programming the Universe," by Seth Lloyd, in which the author argues that the universe is a quantum computer:

"The universe is made of bits. Every molecule, atom, and elementary particle registers bits of information. Every interaction between those pieces of the universe processes that information by altering those bits. That is, the universe computes, and because the universe is governed by the laws of quantum mechanics, it computes in an intrinsically quantum-mechanical fashion; its bits are quantum bits. The history of the universe is, in effect, a huge and ongoing quantum computation. The universe is a quantum computer." (Lloyd, 3)

Everything that we do in our lives are part of the universal computation as well because we are processing information. This is an idea which falls under the study of digital philosophy which, in essence, views that all mental and physical activities are digitized information processing. Likewise, this is also true for the cells, DNA, and everything in our bodies because they process information in a systematic manner. Genetic processes such as joining, copying, partitioning, complementation, trimming, replacing, fragment code exchange and crossover, and replication and transmission, for example, are all examples of simple computations operating in our bodies which themselves have built up over billions of years in a deep algorithmic process. And speaking of genes, in a book titled "Meta Math," by Gregory Chaitin, the author explains how our genes are similar to a computer software, and this is also a concept that I agree with.

"What is this software like? It isn’t written in 0/1 binary like computer software. Instead DNA is written in a 4-letter alphabet, the 4 bases that can be each rung of the twisted double-helix ladder that is a DNA molecule.Adenine, A, thymine, T, guanine, G, and cytosine, C, are those four letters. Individual genes, which code for a single protein, are kilobases of information. And an entire human genome is measured in gigabases, so that’s sort of like gigabytes of computer software." (Chaitin, 67).

Also, below is an interesting article from Scientific American that explains in more details how the universe is performing a computation while drawing connections from the relationship between black holes, information theory, and the holographic principle. It especially talks about the computational nature of black holes. Here it is:

Black Hole Computers (by Seth Lloyd and Y. Jack NG)

That being said, now I will explain something that Muslims believe in, and then I will draw connections between the ideas above and what I'm going to say below.

In Islamic belief, the end of humanity on this planet will come at the blowing of a "trumpet" as mentioned in the Quran. This is going to happen twice. The first time, the trumpet will blow and that's when doomsday will occur, and the second time, the trumpet will blow again and that's when resurrection will take place, as stated in the Quran, "The Trumpet will (just) be sounded, when all that are in the heavens and on earth will swoon except such as it will please Allah (to exempt). Then will a second one be sounded, when, behold, they will be standing and looking on!" (39.68). This trumpet will create an extremely powerful sound wave that will bring death to everyone who will be walking on this planet during that time except those who God chooses to exempt. Also, there may be other creatures who survive the sonic blast.

However, the Quran does not tell us from where the sound is coming from nor what is the source of the sound. The sound of the Trumpet might be produced from some place on earth; it could come from an object somewhere in the galaxy that we live in; or perhaps even from an object farther away in space. But, ultimately, no one knows for sure where the Trumpet exists nor what it's nature is.

Interestingly, there is something in space which I learned about that could be similar to the sounding of the trumpet. In the center of the Perseus galaxy, there is a black hole that creates powerful sound waves, although I don't know how that really happens. I think that the sound might be produced by the movement of the surrounding gas near the black hole (or something like that). And the black hole creates a B-flat note in a frequency which is over a million billion times lower than the limits of human hearing. Here's a quote from an article about this where it says:

"In musical terms, the pitch of the sound generated by the black hole translates into the note of B flat. But, a human would have no chance of hearing this cosmic performance because the note is 57 octaves lower than middle-C. For comparison, a typical piano contains only about seven octaves. At a frequency over a million billion times deeper than the limits of human hearing, this is the deepest note ever detected from an object in the Universe." - NASA Science

In my opinion, the sound waves from a black hole might be a scientific explanation for the sound waves created by the "Trumpet." I'm not saying that it is, but just that it sounds like a plausible explanation for the Trumpet. The sound is not happening right now, and maybe we won't be able to hear the sound whenever it happens (if it is below the human range of hearing), but I think that this could happen some time in the future and that the sound can affect our consciousness.

There is also a supermassive black hole at the center of our own galaxy known as Sagittarius A*.

Also, there is another reason why I think that the trumpet is a black hole. The reason is because this idea matches with another verse in the Quran which says that when that day comes (i.e. the Day of Resurrection), the sun and the stars will begin to be "wrapped up" in darkness. The stars will "fall" and then they will lose their brightness. They will disappear from our sight. This event will happen when the trumpet is blown because these verses are talking about the Day of Resurrection specifically.

"When the sun is wrapped up [in darkness]; And when the stars fall, dispersing;" (81:1-2)

Similarly, we know that spacetime becomes "curved" around a black hole and as a result even light gets pulled into it. This is because of the intense gravity of a black hole. And that's the reason why the stars "fall" into this dark region of space. So, I think that there is a good possibility that the above verses are describing the effects of a black hole on the surrounding stars in our galaxy.

How does all of this support the idea of resurrection? Well, this may sound like something from a science fiction story, but if black holes are the most powerful 'quantum computers,' and if they can be made to perform any computation depending on the collection of matter that falls into them (as mentioned in the first article in this post), then, I think it is possible that a black hole could re-arrange all the atoms that we are made of and put them back into a single piece which constitutes a human being. From an information theoretic perspective, each and every one of us can be described by a 'bit string' and the same applies for any other physical system. If the information about ourselves is preserved somewhere and computed in a reversible fashion, then in my opinion, this may be a mechanism that allows physical resurrection.

"Passengers on a spaceship would like some guarantee that when they fall into this black hole and get smooshed into the singularity, they can be recreated as it evaporates," Lloyd told New Scientist. "With a few simple precautions, the travellers would be almost exactly the same, with less than an atom of difference." - New Scientist

Here's another article: Retrieving Data from a Black Hole

I think that these ideas of "retrieving data" and humans being "recreated" out of a black hole might be a scientific explanation for resurrection. If we are a mass of coded quantum information, then I think it's possible that a black hole could perform a computation on those bits (or units of information) that fell into it and then somehow reconstruct the original. So, I think that resurrection might be a type of reversible computation. Or maybe it's going to be something like that. But, I'm not sure exactly how.

Now, going back, I'm going to briefly re-state all the reasons on why I think it is possible that the "trumpet" is a black hole that may allow postmortem reconstruction:

(1) Both of them are capable of emitting powerful sound waves; (2) The sound of the Trumpet will cause everyone to die, and I think this is scientifically possible because it's known that a very high range of infrasound or a certain frequency of sound waves can actually kill a person (google "sonic weapons"); (3) There is a supermassive black hole in our own galaxy and this makes it more likely that it can create sound waves in the future if it becomes more active; (4) After the second blowing of the Trumpet, everyone will be restored to life, and similarly, it is theorized that black holes may be the most powerful quantum computers which preserve information and that they can even recreate the objects that fell into its singularity atom by atom (including the atoms of you, me, and everyone else); (5) There are verses in the Quran which say that the sun and the stars will "fall" and lose their light and that they will become "wrapped up" in darkness when the Trumpet blows, and this is what happens to stars when they come close to a black hole, which is another reason why I think that the Trumpet might be a black hole.

Again, I do not claim to know that this is how resurrection according to Islam will really happen from a scientific perspective. This is just a possible explanation.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-05-2012, 03:27 AM
(07-05-2012 05:54 PM)Internet Mullah Wrote:  But, I still believe that this is a law from God because it is mentioned in many hadiths and that's why we have to accept it as a part of our religion.

If it is a law of God, let God be the judge.

If it is a law of man, let man be the judge.

You agree?

(08-05-2012 01:06 AM)Internet Mullah Wrote:  Ahoy, I agree with that. Why? Because, as human beings, we cannot always judge what is good and what is bad and who deserves what from God's point of view.

Since you agree that man cannot give judgment on “law of God”:

Do you agree then that man cannot put “law of God” into “law of man”?
08-05-2012, 04:15 AM (This post was last modified: 08-05-2012 04:19 AM by Mark Fulton.)
Gee Mullah, there's going to be one hell of a racket at the end of time...people blowing trumpets from different clouds no doubt....Paul taught that Christ was soon going to come back to earth, and he will blow the old bugle too:

“For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and
the dead in Christ shall rise first: then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: andso shall we ever be with the Lord.” (1Thess. 4 16–18, KJV).

Funny how old Mohammed envisaged the end of the world with a trumpet blast...just like Saint Paul 600 years earlier.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Mark Fulton's post
08-05-2012, 05:14 PM (This post was last modified: 09-05-2012 12:14 AM by Internet Mullah.)
(08-05-2012 01:45 AM)ddrew Wrote:  alright... look .. I know there's been pages of responces to this OP ... however..
I'm not going to wade through the pages of posts to get up to speed.. I read the OP that is all I need..
How the fuck says your right? Your Muhammad? ... were you there.. did you see his miracles.. do you really believe the crap that was written about him?, How do you know it's true.... ? where is the scientific proof? .. I ask the same shit about Jesus.. where is the damned proof?? There is NONE.. NO PROOF.. NO EVIDENCE.. what is written is by kinds and dominating rulers that wished to simply CONTROL the masses.. and make some cash on the side...
Do some serious research into it..... if it says one thing.. QUESTION IT!! is the person stating it real? or even correct in their findings ?? the Koran and Holy Bible are both drived by the same original text written by the ancient Jews.... in which that original so called text has been proven with out a doubt to be FALSE!! Noah and his imbreed family never existed.. nore was there a world wide flood... *i gotta say ... putt the head outta yer ass on this one* but you all cry the same bullshit that doesn't exist... .. there is no GOD... Allah... anything supernatural in this reality .... STOP heeding to the lies of your ancestors that are dead... and were too stupid to realize the difference between faith and reality!

I do oftentimes question many things about my religion, ddrew. I've been contemplating on religious and metaphysical ideas from a young age and I'm still doing the same thing every day. At one point in my life, around the time of high school, I even became an atheist for a short time. I stopped believing in God and I didn't believe in any religions at all. I thought that Islam was just like any other religion. I thought that religion was like a disease in the mind and that's why I tried forget everything that I learned about Islam. However, 2 or 3 years later, I started spending a lot of time on learning about Islam and the history of the Quran. After that time, I slowly started to regain my faith in Islam more and more as a result of my own investigation.

Most of you probably think that my religious views stem from my upbringing and social conditioning and therefore has little to do with my own genuine search for the truth. However, on the contrary, I feel that my faith has mainly grown from my own reflection and reasoning and less based upon the external influences of other people in my life.

(08-05-2012 03:27 AM)ahoy Wrote:  Do you agree then that man cannot put “law of God” into “law of man”?

I do not agree with that because God is in a higher position than man. So, he has the freedom to impose his laws on us whether we like it or not.

Three of the attributes of God according to Islamic belief is that He is the the Most High (Al 'Aliyy), the Governor (Al-Wali), and the Creator (Al Khaaliq). Therefore, we believe that all the laws that we see in the universe - the laws of physics, the laws of biology, and the laws of chemistry - were all created by God. Just like He created biological instructions for our cells, proteins, and DNA (at a micro-level), we believe that He also created moral codes or instructions for the same creatures and he slowly revealed them through Prophets and scriptures (at a macro-level). Even if people disobey His laws, or don't believe in them, I believe that His laws are so powerful that they have already become attached to us - like the instructions in our DNA - and that's why we can't really escape from them.

(08-05-2012 04:15 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  Gee Mullah, there's going to be one hell of a racket at the end of time...people blowing trumpets from different clouds no doubt....Paul taught that Christ was soon going to come back to earth, and he will blow the old bugle too:

Yeah, I know that there is a mention of blowing a trumpet in the Bible as well. But, see, the thing is that Muslims already accept that there are many similarities between the scriptures of the Abrahamic religions. We know that there is going to be similarities between the Bible and the Quran. Why? Because we believe that these scriptures were all revealed by the same God, except that many of the revealed words in the earlier scriptures were altered by the addition of men. So, that's why God revealed His words to the Prophet Muhammad in another book, the Quran, so that they remain preserved for all times.

We also believe that God changed or updated his laws form time to time depending on the circumstances. As I wrote in my OP, we believe in the something known as "progressive revelation," where God's words are revealed in a progressive manner, and where the older set of instructions get modified or replaced with the newer ones. From a computational view of the universe, which I elaborated in my previous post, this is something that is similar to the concept of data erasure through an overwriting process that occurs in a computer. The only difference is that this was happening the real world (which itself is another computer).
09-05-2012, 03:35 AM (This post was last modified: 09-05-2012 03:56 AM by Mark Fulton.)
Hi, Mullah,

firstly, thanks for the effort you have put in, and for not avoiding questions. It must have taken you many hours. I have read all your replies. I congratulate you for your persistence. I have also got half way through Karen Armstrong's book about Mohammed and have watched another documentary on him, so I have been trying to remain open minded.

I'll share my impressions with you and invite your response.

Your main man, Mohammed, doesn't impress me. An illiterate, uneducated 7th century peasant claiming he has talked to god and starting his own cult to mimic the Jews and the Christians turns me right off. Hallucinations and delusions are very very boring, particularly if they are about god. Ask any psychiatrist, or doctor who works in accident and emergency.

What you have read and believed about Mohammed is heavily manufactured propaganda. The guy was a little tyrant. He was violent. He was power hungry. He was controlling. Manipulative. And lucky. He killed a lot of people. That's just not cool.

There is no good evidence the Koran even originated from his over imaginative little mind.

You hold the Koran very dear. You claim it is beautiful and complex, and multi-layered. Yeah, well, maybe, but...so what? Shakespeare, Oscar Wilde and Dylan Thomas are better poets than Mohammed, and they don't claim to be speaking for god, and their meanings were clear. The Koran means so many different things to different people it is useless as an ethical guide. What is more, it does, undoubtedly, in places, promote violence. You don't accept the immorality of that, which demonstrates just how brainwashed you are.

You seem to need some book, or some god, or some mullah to tell you how to live. I don't think you do. I think you are intelligent and perceptive. Why don't you trust yourself? You know infinitely more about our world, the universe and ethics than a bunch of seventh century camel herders. They needed "god" to explain their world because they were ignorant of what we now know, and they had a need to control the gullible.

Your imaginative ideas about the universe being a giant computer are nothing more than an attempt to explain the existence of your god in a modern context. There is no purpose in the universe...it just is what it is, we don't know how it came to be, and there is nothing wrong with admitting we don't know. In a few centuries we will work it out, and your religion will look even more embarrassingly ridiculous than it does today.
[+] 2 users Like Mark Fulton's post
09-05-2012, 07:07 AM
(08-05-2012 05:14 PM)Internet Mullah Wrote:  
(08-05-2012 03:27 AM)ahoy Wrote:  Do you agree then that man cannot put “law of God” into “law of man”?

we believe that all the laws that we see in the universe - the laws of physics, the laws of biology, and the laws of chemistry...

I think you are confusing "natural laws" with "law of man".

(08-05-2012 05:14 PM)Internet Mullah Wrote:  We also believe that God changed or updated his laws form time to time depending on the circumstances.

At first it sounds strange to me, so I read your OP.

So Shariah is a mixture of “law of man” and “law of God” ?

If yes, that is kinda dangerous I think.

An eloquent trouble maker can incite an uneducated crowd into violence by describing a “law of man” as “law of God”.
… expectedly, people put more passion on the latter law.
09-05-2012, 11:42 PM (This post was last modified: 10-05-2012 12:07 AM by Mark Fulton.)
Hi Mullah, re your statement

"Why? Because we believe that these scriptures were all revealed by the same God,"

I can assure you with a confidence sprung from studying the bible for many years, as well as the times in which it was written, that a divine character had absolutely nothing to do with the writing of Jewish scripture or of the new Testament.

I know you disagree, but I have evidence, whereas you just have only wishful thinking. That throws serious doubt on your credibility, at least from my perspecctive. Forget the long winded explanations...show me the proof for your assertions...and I'll start taking your beliefs seriously. You can't hold it against me or anyone else labelling them as nonsense until you come up with proof.
10-05-2012, 12:58 AM
It makes no sense for allah to send his 'final' prophet at such a primitive time when such rapid progress was coming up in the 20th century. Isn't it about time we had another 'progressive revelation'?

Of course a new prophet would have to be pretty convincing to avoid being locked up in a loony bin. Saying things like "I am the final messenger" would certainly count against him.

"While religions tell us next to nothing useful or true about the universe, they do tell us an enormous amount - perhaps an embarrassing amount - about ourselves, about what we value, fear and lust after." Iain M Banks
[+] 1 user Likes daylightisabadthing's post
10-05-2012, 01:23 AM
I apologize in advance for this reply and ..... I am currently drunk... but I've got to ask... with all the trumpet blowing.....
Mullah ... has anyone blown your trumpet lately?
It might be what you need... hold on.. lemme get Girlyman for ya.. !!
HEY GIRLYMAN .. Mullah needs some special attention...!

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. -- Voltaire
[+] 2 users Like ddrew's post
11-05-2012, 08:34 AM
(09-05-2012 07:07 AM)ahoy Wrote:  So Shariah is a mixture of “law of man” and “law of God” ?

No, because we believe that the primary sources of Shariah are from God. The two primary sources of Shariah are the Quran and the Sunnah. The Quran is the word of God, and the Sunnah are the actions and words of the Prophet (who was under the guidance of God), and the Sunnah's importance as a source of Shariah is mentioned in many verses of the Quran. So, in that sense, the Quran and Sunnah are basically linked to each other.

In totality, however, the four agreed upon sources of Shariah are the Quran, Sunnah, Ijma (consensus amongst the scholars and early Muslims, or "collective reasoning"), and Qiyas (analogical deduction). The first two are divine, while the the last two are not. Why? Because it is the process of interpreting the two primary sources of Shariah that adds a human element to the Shariah. And this process of interpreting is called fiqh (meaning "intelligence" or "deep understanding"). Because of the involvement of human interpretation, the last two are considered fallible, and thus are not taken as the primary sources of Shariah (although they are still categorized as a part of Shariah).

Essentially, we interpret the scriptures through analogies, compare and contrast, reflect on the possible meanings, and then we come to conclusions. That's where man's role is involved in the Shariah. But, again, the root and the foundation of Shariah is believed to be divine which are, namely, the Quran and Sunnah.

That being said, I should also mention that just because a court happens to be dealing with matters of Shariah does not necessarily mean that what they rule is representative of Islam. The similarity of such rulings, which are plenty, I may add, is to those of secular courts where depending on who has more resources can take the law for a spin. So, just because a "sharia" court rules on something doesn't always make it the normative ruling in Islamic law.

(09-05-2012 07:07 AM)ahoy Wrote:  An eloquent trouble maker can incite an uneducated crowd into violence by describing a “law of man” as “law of God”.
… expectedly, people put more passion on the latter law.

If that does happen, which is unlikely, then someone who is educated should correct them. I think that it would be a very difficult way to incite violence, though.

(09-05-2012 11:42 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  I can assure you with a confidence sprung from studying the bible for many years, as well as the times in which it was written, that a divine character had absolutely nothing to do with the writing of Jewish scripture or of the new Testament.

That is a positive claim and all positive claims have the burden of proof, Mark.

I never say that God exists nor claim to know that he exists, but just that I believe in him, and that there are reasons behind. I mentioned some of the reasons in post # 29. But, ultimately, whether or not you find them rational or not depends on your own subjective standards of what constitutes "proof."

(09-05-2012 11:42 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  I know you disagree, but I have evidence, whereas you just have only wishful thinking. That throws serious doubt on your credibility, at least from my perspective. Forget the long winded explanations...show me the proof for your assertions...and I'll start taking your beliefs seriously. You can't hold it against me or anyone else labelling them as nonsense until you come up with proof.

Well, again, I think that you should explain to me what constitutes as a "proof" as per your usage of the word. It can either mean "persuasive (though not necessarily infallible) evidence" or "absolute verification of something, impossible to deny." Either way, the idea relies more on our own subjective acceptance or agreement with something instead of objective fact and ignores the fact that there is quite literally nothing whatsoever a human mind cannot deny while still thinking that it's only the mind itself being rational about the subject. I don't think that there is any solid, undeniable evidence that God exists. However, I do believe that there are clues (or signs) of His existence.

I believe that some of those clues are present in things that we see every day such as the variety of living things, the plants, the foods that we eat, the water that we drink, sex, reproduction, our brains, our hearts, emotions, intelligence, consciousness, the earth, and many other things. To me, all of these things are clues for the existence of God, or the existence of something intelligent operating in the universe, whether it is a person, a program, a field of consciousness, or whatever it is. Even humans are a proof to me of the existence of God, while for an atheist, we are nothing but biological entities originating from a sperm and an egg cell.

(10-05-2012 12:58 AM)daylightisabadthing Wrote:  It makes no sense for allah to send his 'final' prophet at such a primitive time when such rapid progress was coming up in the 20th century. Isn't it about time we had another 'progressive revelation'?

I think that the revelations stopped simply because there has to be an end to them, eventually. It would probably become a little too redundant If God kept sending more books and more prophets. As I said earlier, Muslims believe that the Quran is the final word of God, and that the words in it have been preserved from the time they were revealed, and they will remain preserved forever. It also contains all the important things that were revealed to the past prophets. The Quran says that Muhammad is the last Prophet and that the Quran is the last revelation.

But, still, I think that there are other ways that God reveals information about many things that we see around us ("reveal" in the sense of teaching us). For example, He started to reveal other aspects of the universe in a different period of history, i.e. when civilization became more advanced. I believe that He gave the intelligence to many different people like Isaac Newtown, Albert Einstein, Stephen Hawking, Richard Feynman, etc. so that they can teach us more about the universe. All this knowledge about the universe was made possible only by the will of God. But, unfortunately, there are people who think that just because they have a better understanding of how the universe operates means that there is no need for God or that He is non-existent, which is a fallacious reasoning, in my opinion.

(10-05-2012 12:58 AM)daylightisabadthing Wrote:  Of course a new prophet would have to be pretty convincing to avoid being locked up in a loony bin. Saying things like "I am the final messenger" would certainly count against him.

Yeah, but if God did send another prophet, then He could make him convincing if He wanted to. As a Muslim, however, I don't believe that there's going to be anymore Prophets.