Ask a Muslim [split from introductions]

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 4.2 Average
28-05-2012, 11:29 PM
RE: Ask a Muslim [split from introductions]
I was wondering what you thought of women and how they should be treated. I read a passage in the Koran that said if 2 men had... relations that if they were ignorant of the wrongness of that act and later repented, Allah would be forgiving and merciful. Then the next paragraph says that if a woman was adulterous and ignorant of her wrongdoing, then they would imprison her until they decided what to do with her or Allah told them what to do. What I derived from this is "Allah is forgiving and merciful, if you are a man at least."

Under Repair.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes itsacow's post
30-05-2012, 07:30 PM
If Islam is the religion of peace, why is homosexuality, apostasy, fornification, adultery, idolatry, blasphemy, and witchcraft all punishable by death? If the Quran never mentions it, where did Sharia get these ideas from?
[+] 2 users Like Thecreativelynamed's post
30-05-2012, 07:38 PM
(26-05-2012 09:37 AM)ALovelyChickenMan Wrote:  
(19-05-2012 05:03 AM)Internet Mullah Wrote:  Well, in my opinion, there are certain things in the Quran which are very unlikely that man could have known about especially over 1,400 years ago. Furthermore, Muhammad was an illiterate man and he is not known to recieve any training in science, physics, geology, or anything. Yet, there are things that were discovered centuries later after the time of the Quranic revelations. There are even scientists who recognize that the some of the information in the Quran go beyond the scientific knowledge of the time and speaks of scientific facts and truths that have only recently been discovered. Here's an article where you can read some of their statements on the Quran. Also, concerning the verses on embryololgy, here's a paper that looks into those verses one-by-one in great detail:

Embryology in the Quran: A Scientific-Linguistic Analysis of Chapter 23

That being said, although the Quran may contain scientific details that were not known during that time, we do not actually consider the book as a "book of science," because teaching science is not the purpose of the book at all. Rather, the Quran is primarily meant to be a moral and a spiritual guideline. It is a text that seeks to engage the inner dimensions of man and to build his relationship with God through faith and worship.

The main reason that science is included in the Quran is to make us think and reflect on how God created nature so beautifully and wisely, not necessarily to show that these are scientific discoveries. There are many verses in the Quran that illustrate some of the phenomenons of the natural world such as the planets orbiting the sun, the stars, the alternation of the night and day, the various animals in this planet, the intricacies of our own psychological and physiological development, and the embryological stages, and so on. These things are included just to remind us that these are some of the signs of God's existence.
Thanks for the response.

I still have problems with calling them scientific at all. When they aren't and you seem to admit that. So why should that give any validity to the book?

You could find miracles in Moby Dick if you want to call them miracles, you can do a lot of things if you want them to be true, can't you? I don't imagine that you'd pick up a book and in a few years time go back and call the book miraculous. You'd probably laugh and be on your way. It'd simply be a good coincidence that does have the ability to be wrong... or does the time it was written have an affect on your judgement? I mean, the main problem I have with this is that I've seen some really intelligent theists succumb to standards such as this. Every little thing is a 'miracle'. It feels like a sacrifice of intelligence. But I'll stop ranting.

I've read about the embryology in the Quran and I'm still struggling to find what is so significant about it. Scientists can find many things that appear ahead of their time... what does it prove? There are also errors with the Quran about certain miracles, such as the speed of light - does that take away from the validity of the Quran? or is that just ignored? I've heard a lot of these miracles before and some are so vague which means that the passages are open to interpretation it's ridiculous. Like the water cycle one.

Can you read this please. And answer this question honestly, if this guy was an Islamic scholar instead of an engineer, would his predictions have been seen as divine?
The idea that the embryology in the Quran is science is bullshit.
First, they got it wrong.
Second, what is right is stuff learned by observation of animals. This was a herding society; they knew a lot more about animals than you city dwellers do.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-05-2012, 07:41 PM
(30-05-2012 07:30 PM)Thecreativelynamed Wrote:  If Islam is the religion of peace, why is homosexuality, apostasy, fornification, adultery, idolatry, blasphemy, and witchcraft all punishable by death? If the Quran never mentions it, where did Sharia get these ideas from?
From the patriarchal, backwards, primitive, brutal society that spawned it.

[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
30-05-2012, 07:44 PM
(27-05-2012 03:40 AM)Internet Mullah Wrote:  
(26-05-2012 08:40 AM)Chas Wrote:  This is not at all convincing. A schizophrenic gets visions regardless of who is present.
Well, to me, Chas, that is convincing.

Secondly, your opinion that Muhammad was getting visions because he was schizophrenic is not something that is proven to be true nor disproven either. However, I already posted a detailed explanation on why I think it is very unlikely that Muhammad was schizophrenic, epileptic, and/or delusional earlier in this thread in this post and this post. I would like you to read them carefully and then comment on them, if you want to.
Then you are rather easily convinced; and without evidence.

I didn't say Muhammad was a schizophrenic. I was pointing out the weakness of your argument. The fact that Muhammad got visions even when people were present is not proof of anything except that he got visions.

[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
31-05-2012, 06:47 AM (This post was last modified: 31-05-2012 06:53 AM by Polakmaly.)
RE: Ask a Muslim
Hello,

As you didn't reply yet and I realized that I forgot a few questions, I'd like to complete my post here:
Just a few days ago I was having a discussion with a girl and she mentioned something that didn't convince me but just made even more questions pop in my head.

Let's take a look at the continents:
There we have Africa, Europe, Asia, Australia,Northern and Southern America.
We know (no matter if god exists or not) that "messangers" where send to africa, asia and Europe to spread the 3 holy religions right?
And god himself says that his love to all humans is equal.
Therefore he must have been interested to give everyone this only one true religion.
There you have "Native Americans"(also called indians) in Northern America, the "Inkas" in southern America, Aborigines in Australia and so many many more. So many thousands, hundredthousands of humans and god didn't bring them the message?
The girl said:" Well yes these continents weren't found at that time yet". Yes they weren't found by humans, but they existed and if god created the earth he must have known they existed and that people;humans live there.
But we know much about the cultures and religions there that time. And we know nothing like islam,chistianity or Judaism ever existed in these parts of the world until we "found" them.
But isn't that a contrdiction to the quran that says that there was send a messanger to every nation?
Because obviously there was not. Or am I wrong?
And no matter if I am wrong or not: Why didn't god send a message to these poeple? Didn't he care about them?

In hope to hear from you soon,

kind regards,

Martin
[+] 1 user Likes Polakmaly's post
31-05-2012, 07:07 AM
(27-05-2012 03:40 AM)Internet Mullah Wrote:  Secondly, your opinion that Muhammad was getting visions because he was schizophrenic is not something that is proven to be true nor disproven either.

One must be schizophrenic to be a prophet. Ain't no two ways about it. It's a matter of simultaneity. The normal human brain cannot process simultaneity. When such occurs, so too a psychotic break, where the individual no longer trusts in his ability to process sequence. In nearly all instances of a psychotic break, the individual is done and dusted, needing hospitalization and/or professional care for the rest of his days. Every once in a while, however, a prophet like me happens. This is something known to science - in times of extreme stress, the brain simulates Agency in mind to preserve functionality of mind. Image of God, right there.

I cannot help but think peeps deny mental illness in prophets 'cause they're trying to defend something, or idolize something. That's just flat out wrong. It is what it is, and it should be understood for what it is rather than encased in something that it is not. It is not divinity, it is evolutionary advantage.

living word
31-05-2012, 07:37 AM
(31-05-2012 06:47 AM)Polakmaly Wrote:  Hello,

As you didn't reply yet and I realized that I forgot a few questions, I'd like to complete my post here:
Just a few days ago I was having a discussion with a girl and she mentioned something that didn't convince me but just made even more questions pop in my head.

Let's take a look at the continents:
There we have Africa, Europe, Asia, Australia,Northern and Southern America.
We know (no matter if god exists or not) that "messangers" where send to africa, asia and Europe to spread the 3 holy religions right?
And god himself says that his love to all humans is equal.
Therefore he must have been interested to give everyone this only one true religion.
There you have "Native Americans"(also called indians) in Northern America, the "Inkas" in southern America, Aborigines in Australia and so many many more. So many thousands, hundredthousands of humans and god didn't bring them the message?
The girl said:" Well yes these continents weren't found at that time yet". Yes they weren't found by humans, but they existed and if god created the earth he must have known they existed and that people;humans live there.
But we know much about the cultures and religions there that time. And we know nothing like islam,chistianity or Judaism ever existed in these parts of the world until we "found" them.
But isn't that a contrdiction to the quran that says that there was send a messanger to every nation?
Because obviously there was not. Or am I wrong?
And no matter if I am wrong or not: Why didn't god send a message to these poeple? Didn't he care about them?

In hope to hear from you soon,

kind regards,

Martin
Because there was no god to send anyone anywhere.

31-05-2012, 08:18 AM
(31-05-2012 07:37 AM)Chas Wrote:  @ Chas
I know. I do not believe in god.
This is why I am asking these questions Tongue
Because if there was a god, he would have send these "messangers" Wink
04-06-2012, 12:20 AM
Hey Internet Mullah, I hope you haven't blown yourself up!
[+] 3 users Like Mark Fulton's post