Ask a Muslim [split from introductions]

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 4.2 Average
28-04-2012, 07:02 PM
RE: Ask a Muslim [split from introductions]
(28-04-2012 05:58 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Yeah I got a question, it's in relation to the 72 virgins thing.
I like Louis Black's point that 72 smacks of a bartering culture.
"...and I want 100 virgins..."
"50"
"75"
"70"
"72.. And a half"

Seriously though the whole virgin thing could well be a mistranslation of "grapes".

While I'm typing, Mullah, I have no questions and no real respect for your religion but I do greatly respect your well written, patient replies on this thread. Thank you.

"While religions tell us next to nothing useful or true about the universe, they do tell us an enormous amount - perhaps an embarrassing amount - about ourselves, about what we value, fear and lust after." Iain M Banks
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes daylightisabadthing's post
28-04-2012, 07:45 PM
I'm sorry but how on earth do you mistake grapes for virgins?? The only resemblance is that they both go pop if you poke them.
And even if that is the case that is worse!, "here blow yourself up and you shall receive 72 grapes".
Now I know grapes are expensive, here anyway, but still, they're not THAT expensive. And grapes are pretty good I'm not gonna lie, but again they're not THAT good.

And I thought God was all powerful, couldn't he just create an infinite virgin?

PLUS, I don't see what all the hype is about anyway, virgin simple means lack of experience. Is that what you want in heaven? sub-par sex??

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
28-04-2012, 07:50 PM
I was told that the Muslim version of Jesus is supposed to be a man who was a prophet that is going to return and destroy all of those who have given false testimony of who he really is. Is this true?

Gary
28-04-2012, 08:19 PM
I see all religions as largely pretentious, egocentric, coercive, fearing, superstitious, illogical methods to control, obtain acclaim, wealth and power, either while on this planet, or in rarer cases, an extreme an highly egotistical dream of permanent bliss.............something like a permanently high state without the drawbacks.
28-04-2012, 08:21 PM
It has to do with reading the book as early Arabic rather than the Syro-Aramaic in which it was probably written. Mostly involving missing or misplaced vowel markers which change the meanings of certain words completely.

Mistranslations aside. The infinite virgin idea is more like what is actually promised, mostly relating to the quality of the martyr's wife's vagina and his own everlasting erection.

"While religions tell us next to nothing useful or true about the universe, they do tell us an enormous amount - perhaps an embarrassing amount - about ourselves, about what we value, fear and lust after." Iain M Banks
29-04-2012, 09:11 PM
[Image: PMEBC.png]

Ok I never got an answer, So how do you feel about this pleasant (badly) drawn image of mohammad eating some birthday cake?
[+] 3 users Like angry-santa's post
30-04-2012, 12:54 AM
(29-04-2012 09:11 PM)angry-santa Wrote:  [Image: PMEBC.png]

Ok I never got an answer, So how do you feel about this pleasant (badly) drawn image of mohammad eating some birthday cake?
Oh you foolish young person' the fatwah has probably already started.

Didn't you know Khomeini declared cakes as sinful; that makes it even worse! Unsure
30-04-2012, 01:04 AM
Why is it so terrible to draw Muhammad anyway? Is he terribly unattractive?

Joking aside, I don't believe there is any passage in the Quran that says drawing his image is blasphemy.

Does it have more to do with the people? Or is this a clever way to stop an evolution of a character? Like how Jesus was an Arab and somehow ended up being Swedish?

"Mankind must put an end to war, or war will put an end to mankind." -John F Kennedy

The way to see by Faith is to shut the eye of Reason.” -Benjamin Franklin

It has been a long time. How have you been?
30-04-2012, 02:29 AM
(29-04-2012 09:11 PM)angry-santa Wrote:  Ok I never got an answer, So how do you feel about this pleasant (badly) drawn image of mohammad eating some birthday cake?

Not much of a reaction in me. It's just a cartoon.

And I did answer your question, angry-santa, but you probably missed it. See post # 53 (near the bottom).

ShirubaDangan, you are right that the Quran doesn't specifically say that drawing an image of Muhammad is a blasphemy, although it does say that no one should mock him or insult him. However, the Quran doesn't tell us to harm or punish those who do mock the Prophet. I know that some Imams or Mullahs would like to issue a fatwa on someone who drew a cartoon of the Prophet, but that is almost completely based on his own opinion and/or interpretations, and not something that is directly taken from the Quran or Hadiths, as far as I know.

That being said, I have more questions to answer. I will try to post them some time today or tomorrow. Thank you to everyone for reading and participating in this thread.
30-04-2012, 03:33 AM (This post was last modified: 30-04-2012 07:21 PM by Mark Fulton.)
Internet Mullah, some serious questions for you, which are easy to answer.

Do you ever get sick of trying to work out what your religion expects of you? When you're having a crap, do you need the Koran to tell you which hand should wipe your arse? Mohammed to tell you when to have sex and with whom?
Allah telling you what to eat and when? How to shave and how often to bend over? What to wear on Wednesday?

Do you ever tell god to fuck off and mind his own business? I would.

Please be honest. We won't tell anyone.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user