Ask a Muslim [split from introductions]

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 4.2 Average
25-04-2012, 10:15 AM (This post was last modified: 25-04-2012 10:43 AM by Internet Mullah.)
RE: Ask a Muslim [split from introductions]
Mark Fulton and Mr. Woof, it seems that you guys are getting a little too upset about my views on sex and adultery. I'm sorry for that, and that was not my intention. However, as I said earlier, my opinion on adultery is primarily due to my belief in Islam and that's why I think that adultery is a sin, and that it is a crime. You don't have to agree with me, though. I was just explaining to you why the action is condemned in Islam and what is the punishment for it.

The basic point is that the higher aim of the Islamic Law is to sanctify wealth, honor, and property of the community and it is from this aspect that the general well being of the community outweighs the well being of a single person. And the rehabilitative structure of our system is rooted in the spiritual aspects of Islamic doctrine. However, when the soul is corrupted to the extent of it being unpurifiable, then the penal code is in place to ensure that the rest of the community is not harmed by the evil action of such individuals. And with that said, here's a short article that I read which talks about some of the harms of committing adultery.

I have pretty much said everything that I wanted to say on this topic. I don't know what else to add to it. You guys also stated your opinions on this topic. So, even though you guys made a lot of harsh criticisms about this and even insulted my intelligence, thank you for your input anyways.

Now, I'm going to go back to some of the previous questions raised in this thread. I know that there are still more questions that haven't been answered, and thank you for sending them, but don't think that I'm ignoring them. Actually, I'm very eager to answer them, but I'll be coming to each and every one of them slowly. It's just that typing out all these responses is taking me a fair amount of time. So, please be patient, and I'll try to answer everyone's questions as soon as I can.

(22-04-2012 07:24 PM)Crusher Wrote:  Why do alot of muslims get offended so easily when it comes to their religion?
You seem pretty relaxed about it all and I know some pretty offensive stuff has been published about Muhammed but even when seemingless harmless things happen some muslims still get upste like for example: I told my gf (she's turkish and muslim) that Muhammed is to islam like Ataturk was to turkey namely being the "architect" of it. I figured since turks are pretty nationalistic she might agree but instead she got angry at me. Telling me I can never compare the two. Not saying my comparison is without flaws but nothing to be upset about I would imagine.

I wouldn't be too upset if someone told me that (or maybe a little), although I do not agree with that.

Why do a lot of Muslims get offended so easily when it comes to their religion? Well, I think that the answer is an obvious one, and the reason is basically because they don't like it when someone says something as an insult or an attack on their religious beliefs. The same thing with Christians and other groups of faith. They all value their religion, and they respect their God, and religion is an important part of their daily lives.

But, of course, the fact is that not all Muslims behave that way, and you probably know that. I mean, there are over one billion Muslims in the world today and they come from various ethnic, cultural, and linguistic communities in Asia, Africa, Europe, America, and Australia. They speak many different languages such as Arabic, Persian, English, Chinese, Urdu, Spanish, Japanese, German, Russian, etc. It is impossible that all these people would think, behave, and act exactly in the same way, even as Muslims

(22-04-2012 08:53 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  Is it not the case that the history and mythology of all the religions of the Book, along with the zealots, make the perpetrators of such writings, albeit 'misunderstood' on some instances, make the Koran dangerous ,if only by the mismanagement of crazed god obsessed fanatics linked to militarism and politics? Thank you.

I do not think that the Quran is dangerous, but it's just that some people interpret it the wrong way, and perhaps they even do so willingly to justify their own evil actions. Also, it is my contention that most of the acts of violence that are attributed to Islam are better attributed to political and historical circumstances. For example, suicide bombing was started off by certain radical Muslims as a political and a psychological strategy, and it is evil indeed, but truth be told, this is not something that is in agreement with the teachings of the Quran because it says that suicide is a major sin in Islam: "And do not kill yourselves, God is merciful with you. And whosoever does that (kills self) with aggression and inequity, we will make them suffer in Hell fire, and this is easy for God to do" (4:29-30). However, the western media will often quotes verses from the Quran and Hadiths out of context in an attempt to show everyone that suicide is encouraged in Islam, which is certainly not true.

Similarly, I have also noticed that there are many websites today that are created simply to ridicule Islam and to take verses out of context regarding the use of force in an attempt to prove that Islam justifies aggression toward non-believers, which is not true. So, my advice is that, instead of going to the hate sites and the hate books, you guys should read things which are from peer reviewed and academic sources, not from self-proclaimed sham artists who are milking the current anti-Muslim climate for making their own book deals and TV interviews.

Furthermore, I think that many of the acts of violence being done in the name of Islam has increased only in the last couple of decades. These things started happening quite recently. For example, Hamas and the people of Palestine didn't start strategic terror attacks until the early 90's. The thing is that the recent events tend to stick out more in our minds and thus we give less significance to all the other acts of violence done in the past by non-Muslims. It's a historical fact that the major wars between the European nations during the past 100 years have caused a lot more damage to the world than the Muslims did, the only difference being that they didn't do it specifically in the name of religion.

As I said earlier, it seems to me that many of these 'religious' violence are actually a form of state violence that are instigated by extremist Muslims. If you want to know more about this, here's an excellent article written by a non-Muslim that explains that all these suicide attacks, killing, and terrorism that we hear about these days are entirely a new phenomenon amongst Muslims and that these are not a true representation of Islam.

When religion and culture part ways (by Oliver Roy)

(22-04-2012 08:53 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  Some time ago a Mullah here in Australia described some young women as "RAW MEAT", relevant to their dress as related to a rape case.
When asked if Australia should be become a Moslem nation he replied ....."yes a very good idea" Do you agree?

No, Mr. Woof, I don't think it would be a good idea to make Australia a Muslim nation. I don't want to force religious rituals and laws onto a people who are not willing to assent to them. They should have the right to practice their own faith or their own way of life. However, if it is the case that the people living in that country want it to be a Muslim nation, and many of the accept Islam, then that's a different story. I don't think that's a bad thing at all.

To me, the main issue for Muslims in Australia is not whether Australia is a Muslim nation or not. Rather, it is whether Muslims have equal rights and responsibilities with others, and whether they have the freedom to practice and teach their religion to others, and Australia is a country that already gives them this freedom. I think that Muslims play an important part in making Australia a multicultural and multi-faith society and, if I remember correctly, they are the third largest faith community after Christians and Buddhists.

Fortunately, most Muslims in Australia appear to be comfortable with the legal system there, and there is no legal barrier to stop them from practising the mandates of their religion. It is primarily in the family law area that Muslims have some difficulties (such as questions of divorce, child custody, intestacy, and so on) but the Australian law, on the whole, already accommodates some of those needs for them. Again, this is not a matter of Australia being a Muslim nation or not. Most of the Muslims do not call for implementing Islamic law in Australia nor do they call for having a separate system of law for the Muslims living there. Their main interest is freedom to practice their religion, and this is already provided in Australia. To me, that is good enough.

(23-04-2012 02:59 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  Please double click on the attached photo I took a few days ago at the world atheist conference in Melbourne. What were these loud, angry, threatening Muslims doing protesting at a peaceful atheist conference? Why are they threatening to burn Ayaan Ali Hirsi? Why did this beautiful, articulate, intelligent lady need to turn up at the conference in an armoured car with multiple bodyguards?

I have seen the attached photo. I saw Muslims holding up signs to threaten her. And I don't think they should have done that. However, the thing to remember is that this picture does not represent the behavior of the majority of the world's Musilm population. To use an example from my own life, I can tell you that my parents, friends, family, grandparents, cousins, and all my relatives that I know are just as peaceful as many of you guys in this forum even though they are Muslims. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's what I honestly feel about them.

The main threats come from extremists, be it religious extremists or political extremists. And, again, remember that there are 1.4 billion Muslims in the world, and the media and self-interested parties will tend to focus only on the handful of crazy Muslims they can find to justify their own agenda of hate and division. So, in my opinion, it would be far more conducive to focus on the views of the mainstream Muslims. And I'm sure that most of them are not dangerous. They are decent people just like many of the Christians living there.

And at a human level, there are a lot of things that can be said about people from different religions and nationalities. The fact still remains that no matter what the nationality, or religion, or the skin color of a terrorist is, it is not those things, but rather it is the person who commits the crime. Also, many of the violent acts committed by Jews and Christians are not necessarily an indication of the evilness of Christianity nor Judaism. The same is true for Islam.

(23-04-2012 01:39 PM)arbmouser Wrote:  I am skeptical about asking you, Mullah, and getting an honest answer. I'm not saying you would deceive on purpose, but there does seem to be a witholding of explanation on religious matters to non-Islamic people from members of the Islamic faith. Over and over I hear the phrase "religion of peace", but that is clearly not the case when Muslims are offended. The call for Salman Rushdie's death for writing a fiction novel, the threats on journalists and then on all Dutch citizens for reprinting cartoon images of Mohammed, and many more incidents are evidence to the contrary. It has been very clear to many that outsiders don't hear a complete message, and Muslims are quick to deny, twist, or marginalize facts about the Quran when asked sensitive questions.

I am not trying to hide or withhold anything about Islam, arbmouse. I am presenting whatever my beliefs are to the best of my ability.

That being said, I do believe that Islam is a religion of peace even though it includes laws to punish and/or execute criminals. One of the reason is because Islam prohibits the killing of any innocent person, Muslim or non-Muslim. According to the Quran, killing an innocent person is like killing the entire community of human beings. According to the Quran, "He who kills a person without (the latter) having killed another person, it is as if he has killed all of humanity, and he who makes one person survive, it is as if he has caused all humanity to survive" (Qur’an 5:32). Where someone deliberately kills another, Islamic law imposes capital punishment as a deterrent.

The only problem is that, as in any religion, there are Muslims who use violence to achieve certain social and/or political objectives. However, in my experience, the vast majority of Muslims do not advocate violence, but wish to live peacefully with everyone else. I think it is unfair to label all Muslims as violent or as aggressive because of the actions of a few extremists. There are also violent or fanatical groups among Catholics, Protestants, Jews, Hindus, and Buddhists, for example, and that the majority in those groups should not be blamed for the actions of the minority. In my view, the same should apply to Muslims.

(23-04-2012 01:39 PM)arbmouser Wrote:  But despite all that, I do have a question. Regarding the right to freedom of speech: Why do you think the Islamic faith gets a pass on open ridicule for the ideas it professes, or its dogma that followers adhere to? And, do you think Islam should be an open subject of free speech as much as any other without the speakers feeling afraid or stigmatized as insensitive?

Honestly, I do not think that the Islamic faith has a pass on open ridicule for the ideas it professes. Why? Because I haven't come across anything solid or objective that supports that notion. I mean, people can say whatever they want about Islam, and although many Muslims do get offended by such remarks, or even retaliate sometimes, it doesn't mean that their religion actually justifies such behavior.

To your second question, my answer is yes. I think that Islam should be open to free speech as much as any other religion without the speakers feeling afraid or stigmatized as insensitive. In fact, I know that there are also peaceful Muslims who talk about the immorality and the wrongness of some of the people of their own faith (i.e. the violent ones). To prove that, here's one of those examples at the link below:

An Open Letter to Violent Muslims Protestors
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Internet Mullah's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: Ask a Muslim [split from introductions] - Internet Mullah - 25-04-2012 10:15 AM
RE: Ask a Muslim - Polakmaly - 31-05-2012, 06:47 AM
RE: Ask a Muslim - Chas - 31-05-2012, 07:37 AM
RE: Ask a Muslim - Polakmaly - 31-05-2012, 08:18 AM
Still waiting, Mullah. - Chas - 21-04-2012, 07:34 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  [split] Fruitcake-o-meter morondog 50 441 03-07-2014 10:41 AM
Last Post: Taqiyya Mockingbird
  [split] Coming Out And Ready To Crawl Back In. Jeremy E Walker 78 1,248 25-06-2014 07:18 PM
Last Post: Bucky Ball
  [split] I need to rant to other atheists. Jeremy E Walker 492 6,938 15-06-2014 09:47 PM
  Muslim teacher takeover? Bows and Arrows 36 748 15-06-2014 06:43 AM
Last Post: Anna
  [split] The Perfect Ideal World Created By Science Jeremy E Walker 14 247 04-06-2014 06:46 PM
Last Post: cjlr
  [split] An atheist's critique of the Bible (Book and eBook now available) Jeremy E Walker 46 682 03-06-2014 08:34 PM
  [split] Commentary on the viodjit vs. Drich "book of your religion" match Taqiyya Mockingbird 43 713 29-05-2014 08:08 PM