Ask a Right-wing Libertarian

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-06-2013, 03:02 PM
RE: Ask a Right-wing Libertarian
(15-06-2013 02:46 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(15-06-2013 02:37 PM)BryanS Wrote:  My issue with being right-libertarian as well. We have more holy rollers in the US. It seems that ever since the civil rights era in the US, the GOP is the last party to come around on social issues. There are some of us though.

I honestly can not tell the 2 major parties apart on fiscal issues and size of government. When Republicans are in power they are for deficit spending and growing government. Same with Democrats. However on social issues Republicans want to move us back to the 12th century and to me that is the bigger threat. Whether or not Exxon-Mobile can claim 99% of their profits tax free or 100% has little to no impact on my life. However banning abortion and limiting access to birth control, eliminating health care, and eliminating voting rights for the opposition are things that republicans have done since 2012 when they obtained power. That effects me and is a far larger threat to liberty.

For once, I'd like to see someone ont he left actually read a financial statement. Look at it, will you?
http://news.exxonmobil.com/press-release...12-results

Look at the annual statement near the end, labeled attachement 1. They paid $31 billion in income taxes, about $32 billion in sales taxes, and $38 billion in other taxes for a total of $102 billion in taxes paid. Their profit, which was a record for them, was about $47 billion. That's right, their profit was not all that different than the amount paid in sales tax on the products they sell. Who was eliminating health care? Name one single instance of eliminating voting rights.

I agree the GOP has problems with civil liberties, but they are in particular abortion and gay rights, mostly based on the religious nuttery in their party. But geesh, the left wing talking points came pouring out of you in your post.

I agree with your concern about abortion, but nobody proposes banning access to birth control. You need to provide a reference for that claim.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-06-2013, 03:32 PM
(15-06-2013 03:02 PM)BryanS Wrote:  
(15-06-2013 02:46 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  I honestly can not tell the 2 major parties apart on fiscal issues and size of government. When Republicans are in power they are for deficit spending and growing government. Same with Democrats. However on social issues Republicans want to move us back to the 12th century and to me that is the bigger threat. Whether or not Exxon-Mobile can claim 99% of their profits tax free or 100% has little to no impact on my life. However banning abortion and limiting access to birth control, eliminating health care, and eliminating voting rights for the opposition are things that republicans have done since 2012 when they obtained power. That effects me and is a far larger threat to liberty.

For once, I'd like to see someone ont he left actually read a financial statement. Look at it, will you?

Look at the annual statement near the end, labeled attachement 1. They paid $31 billion in income taxes, about $32 billion in sales taxes, and $38 billion in other taxes for a total of $102 billion in taxes paid. Their profit, which was a record for them, was about $47 billion. That's right, their profit was not all that different than the amount paid in sales tax on the products they sell. Who was eliminating health care? Name one single instance of eliminating voting rights.

I agree the GOP has problems with civil liberties, but they are in particular abortion and gay rights, mostly based on the religious nuttery in their party. But geesh, the left wing talking points came pouring out of you in your post.

I agree with your concern about abortion, but nobody proposes banning access to birth control. You need to provide a reference for that claim.

Point 1 health care http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2013-...h-care-law

Point 2 Birth Control and abortion http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/06...50030.html
That would make several forms of birth control including hormonal (the most common) illegal.

As for the Exxon-Mobil I was using an exaggerated position to illustrate a point.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
15-06-2013, 03:46 PM
(15-06-2013 03:32 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(15-06-2013 03:02 PM)BryanS Wrote:  For once, I'd like to see someone ont he left actually read a financial statement. Look at it, will you?

Point 1 health care http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2013-...h-care-law

Point 2 Birth Control and abortion http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/06...50030.html
That would make several forms of birth control including hormonal (the most common) illegal.

As for the Exxon-Mobil I was using an exaggerated position to illustrate a point.

Repealing Obamacare would be good public policy and is not anywhere near "banning health care".

There are extreme religious nuts who do want to treat the moment of conception as the definition of human life, but there isn't much support for this position even in mainstream conservatism. There's a reason the vote failed by a 3:1 margin on previous two attempts. To fail by that wide a margin, a large number of conservatives would have had to have voted against the measure. I disagree with the kind of constitutional amendment that would band contraception. The national ticket, and no conservative running in a district I've voted in has ever supported such a measure. I don't live in the bible belt though, so there may be that type in say some of the southern states.
15-06-2013, 03:50 PM
(15-06-2013 03:46 PM)BryanS Wrote:  
(15-06-2013 03:32 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Point 1 health care http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2013-...h-care-law

Repealing Obamacare would be good public policy and is not anywhere near "banning health care".

There are extreme religious nuts who do want to treat the moment of conception as the definition of human life, but there isn't much support for this position even in mainstream conservatism. There's a reason the vote failed by a 3:1 margin on previous two attempts. To fail by that wide a margin, a large number of conservatives would have had to have voted against the measure. I disagree with the kind of constitutional amendment that would band contraception. The national ticket, and no conservative running in a district I've voted in has ever supported such a measure. I don't live in the bible belt though, so there may be that type in say some of the southern states.

I for one think Obamacare did not go far enough. We need single payer health care like every other 1st world nation. But some reform is better than none because our system is broken, it is one of the worst systems in the world.

The Personhood thing is fringe but thats what the right is running these days Tea party morons with no clue as to how to govern.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
15-06-2013, 04:50 PM
(15-06-2013 03:50 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(15-06-2013 03:46 PM)BryanS Wrote:  Repealing Obamacare would be good public policy and is not anywhere near "banning health care".

I for one think Obamacare did not go far enough. We need single payer health care like every other 1st world nation. But some reform is better than none because our system is broken, it is one of the worst systems in the world.

The Personhood thing is fringe but thats what the right is running these days Tea party morons with no clue as to how to govern.

It was the wrong kind of reform. Routine healthcare costs too much because the free market has not been allowed to work in a long time, and by that I mean individuals do not make purchasing decisions when they obtain health care. Those decisions are all managed by a third party, and Obamacare does nothing to address that. It is a simple fact that anything healthcare related that is not covered by insurance is exposed to market pressures and falls in price. Everything else raises without limit. Obamacare actually makes this problem worse by including all sorts of mandates that will drive the cost of insurance up. When everything is covered in comprehensive insurance packages, the individual has less incentive to shop around.
15-06-2013, 05:34 PM
(15-06-2013 12:24 PM)BryanS Wrote:  
(15-06-2013 09:38 AM)Chas Wrote:  I wish the right would quit mischaracterizing Social Security and Medicare as welfare or hand-outs.

I've been fucking paying for these for 40+ years. This is paid insurance.

So, yes, I am fucking entitled to these.

Most people haven't "paid for what they get". Because the programs have been too slow to adjust to changing demographics, and so many people live decades on these programs when they were never intended to do this, many people have not paid into the system what they get out of it.

Actually, as a member of a younger generation, I'm paying for the generation retiring now to not work enough years to pay for their own benefits.

That said, I have no problem if people who actually need the benefit draw on it for the time they need it. I wish it were a welfare program so that it would only go to those who need it. You think Warren Buffet really needs that check?

Who hasn't paid for what they get? A widow? A non-working spouse?

There are problems with how the fund was managed or raided, but that is because we have a bunch of stupid assholes in Congress.

It doesn't change the fact that we bought and paid for this.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-06-2013, 10:27 PM
Dude, thats the point. I think she was well aware of the complex social stuff, and thats why she was like" fuck you hippie, here's my drum, I'll go beat it in privacy where I fucking wish, by myself".

Alphas are usually this way. America is unique in putting individual freedoms as a priority, and the collectives can't stand that.

(15-06-2013 05:53 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(14-06-2013 11:57 PM)TheBlackKnight Wrote:  I'm not sure I'm 100% clear one what it takes to be this, but 100% with all my might fuck your collectivism.

Not even sure I fit, but the people who hate her are always so beta and annoying that I side with her just to watch them throw a tantrum and kick the side of their prius/subaru wagon.

I don't hate her I just find her politics and philosophy to be infantile and selfish and completely ignoring the complex social interaction that has a far greater effect than she or her followers are willing to admit. Her's is a cult of greed and self aggrandizement that claims each man is an island unto himself. It would be like following the teachings of Bill Maher, he makes a few good points and I find him funny. But his views are overly simplistic and he is not as deep as he thinks he is.