Ask a Theist!

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 5 Average
09-12-2011, 03:10 PM (This post was last modified: 07-02-2012 02:41 PM by kingschosen.)
Ask a Theist!
Step right up, folks! Come one, come all. Come see the strange, intoxicating, and completely mind boggling views of a...

THEIST

Now, before we begin, a few ground rules:

*stares at Chas*

1) I am not here to convert you, and you are not here to convert me.

B) I am well aware you don't agree with my beliefs.
5) This is for educational purposes.
Lastly) I will explain things from a theist point of view (Christian - Calvinist).
3) The Bible is a valid authority for my beliefs.
VIIII) Act like a jerk, and you probably won't get answered. I am not obligated to answer you. All I ask is that you keep your civility.

I will do my best to answer your queries as honestly and completely as I know how.

Addendum #screw it) My username does not stem from my religious beliefs.
Addendum #monkey) I believe in evolution.
Addendum #number) I believe in a God-inspired Bible. This does not mean the Bible is 100% literal

[Image: vjp09.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like kingschosen's post
09-12-2011, 03:18 PM
RE: Ask a Theist!
Allllllrighty then.
Here's a question that I'm too lazy to type into google or look for the answer myself.
I hear people talk about the book of genesis and all these different "sections" but never really understood if it was the same book or multiple books. Can one buy like a combo package with all these books in it like an omnibus? Or does just the standard bible include everything?

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!
09-12-2011, 03:19 PM
Do you admit that the 'feeling' of God could simply be wishful and romantic thinking or just the hope of God so that you life has some sort of meaning? I know if can suck to feel like all this is for nothing and I'm convinced that most people who are not religious but still believe in a higher power also feel this way.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
09-12-2011, 03:21 PM
(09-12-2011 03:18 PM)Hamata k Wrote:  Allllllrighty then.
Here's a question that I'm too lazy to type into google or look for the answer myself.
I hear people talk about the book of genesis and all these different "sections" but never really understood if it was the same book or multiple books. Can one buy like a combo package with all these books in it like an omnibus? Or does just the standard bible include everything?

I'm not entirely sure what you mean. From what I know, Genesis is a single book from the Torah. The Torah is pretty much included in every version of the Christian Bible; however, you may be referring to the Apocrypha. If so, you can get these in most Catholic Bibles.

09-12-2011, 03:21 PM
Were you raised christian, or did you convert recently?

It's not the mean god I have trouble with - it's the people who worship a mean god.
09-12-2011, 03:23 PM
(09-12-2011 03:19 PM)germanyt Wrote:  Do you admit that the 'feeling' of God could simply be wishful and romantic thinking or just the hope of God so that you life has some sort of meaning? I know if can suck to feel like all this is for nothing and I'm convinced that most people who are not religious but still believe in a higher power also feel this way.

Since I'm not omniscience, I can't willfully rule this out. The possibility is there. The reason that I believe it's more than a feeling is because of the radical change that happened in me. Everything I believed got flipped on me.

[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
09-12-2011, 03:25 PM
(09-12-2011 03:23 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(09-12-2011 03:19 PM)germanyt Wrote:  Do you admit that the 'feeling' of God could simply be wishful and romantic thinking or just the hope of God so that you life has some sort of meaning? I know if can suck to feel like all this is for nothing and I'm convinced that most people who are not religious but still believe in a higher power also feel this way.

Since I'm not omniscience, I can't willfully rule this out. The possibility is there. The reason that I believe it's more than a feeling is because of the radical change that happened in me. Everything I believed got flipped on me.

It's refreshing to know an agnostic theist.

I already know this but I'd like to hear what the forum thinks about your thoughts on free will and fate.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
[+] 1 user Likes germanyt's post
09-12-2011, 03:28 PM
(09-12-2011 03:21 PM)Peterkin Wrote:  Were you raised christian, or did you convert recently?

Raised in a Christian home.
Became an agnostic.
Converted to Christianity.

09-12-2011, 03:31 PM
In what period of time, and circumstances, did these changes take place?

It's not the mean god I have trouble with - it's the people who worship a mean god.
09-12-2011, 03:36 PM
(09-12-2011 03:31 PM)Peterkin Wrote:  In what period of time, and circumstances, did these changes take place?

normal circumstances; nothing extenuating